Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installation programs cannot create icons on my desktop! Help!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
1. Installation programs cannot create icons on my desktop! Help!
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Does anyone know why an installation program would not be able to create icons on my Desktop? Both Visual Age C++ 3.0 and the Software Development Toolkit report errors when attempting to create icons on the desktop. With the toolkit this is not too upsetting as the installation can continue, but with Visual Age C++ the installation program halts and will not go past that point.

The return code reported by the Software Development Toolkit 4.5 Installation program was 0x00041712

Could something be configured wrong in my config.sys? Checking out config.sys it indicates that my Desktop is:
SET DESKTOP=E:\Desktop
which is correct?

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Shadallark

"Mental anguish is for those who choose to think!" - FurFuznel
Date: 20 Dec, 2002 on 01:44
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
2. Re:Installation programs cannot create icons on my desktop! Help!
Hello again;

I figured out the problem! By using checkini of the WPTools package I found out that my desktop had been lost. Checkini was able to fix it for me though.

Shadallark

Shadallark
running eCS v1.03 on an IBM Aptiva
assiting in the porting of OpenOffice.org to eCS
Date: 28 Feb, 2003 on 23:57
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
3. Re:Installation programs cannot create icons on my desktop! Help!
Just a warning, a few peope have reported that having "SET DESKTOP=E:\Desktop" permamently in the CONFIG.SYS will eventually lead to trouble. In your case, it hid the fact that the desktop had lost it's id, and then other programs couldn't find it.

A better idea is to have the statement in your CONFIG.SYS but commented out. Then, if the desktop does lose it's id, you will be warned at when the desktop is started. It is then easy to uncomment the statement, reboot, and run checkini or you other favourite method to fix this.

David
Date: 02 Mar, 2003 on 23:23
Installation programs cannot create icons on my desktop! Help!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: