Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
hpfs partition file recovery
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
renato
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 May, 2003
1. hpfs partition file recovery
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have a system with 2 HDs and some different OS, mainly Windows98 and OS/2 (eCS 1.0) but also linux and beos, all of them bootable from OS/2 boot manager.

I don't know why but now I only can boot Windows98 because the others freeze during boot process.

I would like at least to recover my 5 years old PMMAIL post that is aparently untouched in a HPFS partition that do not hold OS/2 system.
>
>For some strange reason I canot boot OS/2 CD alone or with inicialization floppies. The booting stops when it loads IBMFLPPY.ADD. Sometimes with lhe floppy led on other times with it off.

I tried to boot a floppy based linux (tomsrtbt) but it freezes too.
The only think that works fine is the terrible Windows98.

I downloaded DFSee but did not change anything because I am affraid of messing up all (very hard to use this program securely).

Well, can you tell me a way I can save to my second HD my HPFS PMMAIL directory?
If I could do this, I would format the first problematic HD, install everything again and recover my precious messages.
I tried this with DFSee:

part 8 (first hd, second hpfs partition)
dirfind s \PMMAIL -l:*.*
recover L:\ *.*

The program seem to find all the files in the partition but I could not manage to transfer them to another place. I used for L above the LVM letter of my second hd hpfs partition; the LVM letter of a FAT16 partitions of the same hd and the DOS letter of one of the mounted partitions under DOS. I allways get the message 0 files recovered.

I suppose this is because DFSee seems to be in Read mode. I do not find in documentation how to change it to Write mode.

Anything I can do before to format my hd and lost my mail?

renato

PS: am I in the right forum?

Date: 06 May, 2003 on 01:01
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:hpfs partition file recovery
I've recently had a drive failed, and had to resort to DFSee to recover LOTS of data. Luckily, it worked. There isn't a "read only" mode in DFSee, so that's not it. The things I can think of are:

- the recover command might not be able to write to the root of a drive. You may need to specify a directory (e.g. L:\RecoveredPMMail).

- I suspect you have the "L:" wrong. This needs to be a drive letter that exists in the OS you have booted to run DFS in. Check this before starting DFSee.

- Also, I can't tell where you are running DFSee from. If you are trying to do this from a DOS prompt in Win98, I don't think it will work. You need to be in real DOS. It might be OK to boot Win98 to the command prompt (F8 then a menu option during the boot I think).

The best place to ask this would be http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dfsee-support.

Also, there is an HPFS driver for DOS that you could possibly use to get access to the data. I haven't used it, but, I assume it is on hobbes.

David
Date: 08 May, 2003 on 01:38
renato
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 May, 2003
3. Re:hpfs partition file recovery
Thanks Dave.

Your answer was very complete and gave me many usefull different paths to try.
I became downloading the HPFS driver for DOS from Hobbes that worked fine and I could recover the critical data I would not like to lost.
Then I deleted all the partitions im my main HD and found there is nothing wrong with it. I suppose there is a hardware fail with I/O section of the mainboard because the access to CDROM and floppy drive are freezing randomly with no HD at all. I will get another mainboard and themn i will restore everything.
Thanks a lot for your help again.

Renato

Date: 12 May, 2003 on 16:14
hpfs partition file recovery
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: