Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Laurent
Send an email to this member
1. OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Since 2 weeks I try to install OS/2 Warp 4 on a Dell's Inspiron 5100 with a Intel Pentium 4, 2,8 GHz, Intel 845PE chipset, 40 Go HD, DVD/CDRW Combo, USB-floppy. And my nerves are soon at the end.
With the second installation floppy the following message is displayed : “OS/2 can’t access to the hard drive or to the floppy. The system will be stopped”.

Sincerely,

Laurent B.

NB: sorry for my poor English

Date: 13 Jun, 2003 on 12:17
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
Are you using the updated installation diskettes from a WarpUp cd or from the most current fixpak? Is your hard drive one partition or more than one? I have installed to a hard drive that is 20 gigabytes in size but had to partition it into to two; one 2 gigabyte and one 18 gigabyte. It would not install until I did this partition using boot manager. It starts with bootmanager asking which os to start with (I have only one) but it is a minor inconvenience (at least to me). There are those who say one can install to a large partition (bigger than 2 gigabytes) but I have not found a way that works for me. Most of my files is on the second partition. If there is a problem, I only have to fix the first partition or chkdsk the first one. This might not help but it is a start.
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 13 Jun, 2003 on 14:56
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
3. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
I had a similar problem on my fujitsu.siemens computer, although its a stationary computer. In my case the problem was due to the ibm1s506.add, which couldn't access the harddrive. I tested a somewhat older driver and voilà, it worked.
Date: 15 Jun, 2003 on 01:14
JonOS/2
4. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
There's only one cause for this problem:
You must add the USB device drivers to your OS/2 boot floppies, and add the appropriate lines to your config.sys on floppy #1.

This however is not enough: you want to boot from usb floppy, so you must add the /I13 switch after the USB host controller driver you use. Please visit www.jonasbuys.easynet.be/os2/hardware/usb.htm for more details. The /I13 switch is the ONLY possibility for enabling booting from USB devices.

Regards, JonOS/2

Date: 15 Jun, 2003 on 22:41
JonOS/2
5. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
Euhm, just saw that I missed that you were already booting from USB floppy
Have you tried the DANI driver? replacement for ibm1s506?
Date: 15 Jun, 2003 on 22:43
OS/2 Warp 4 installation problem on Dell's Inspiron 5100
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: