Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
how to set cmos for dual boot?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Day
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Jul, 2002
1. how to set cmos for dual boot?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
mine has an option to set for os/2 when the system has more than 64 megs dram. What do I
do when I want to boot Linux or dos?
Date: 06 Aug, 2002 on 10:33
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:how to set cmos for dual boot?
When booting other system you set this to Non-OS2. But then again this parameter in Bios is out aged. You don't have to think about it anymore. It was an issue when using old ISA-slot hardware such as Adaptec 15xx adapters. So for now just set it to Non-OS2. The last couple of motherboards that I've used I have never had any problem and even if I used any ISA cards there wasn't any problem. Usually if you have old hardware it might be an idea to make an extra check about and if the driver can use memory above the 16MB. Also if possible, if youare able to avoid hardware using the ISA-slots, this is an good idea

/KIm

Date: 06 Aug, 2002 on 12:19
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
3. Memory Hole At 15M-16M
Some special ISA cards require this area of memory for them to work properly. Enabling this function reserves the memory area for the card's use. In some cases, it may also prevent the system from accessing memory above 15MB.

If you enable this function, 1MB of RAM (the 15th MB) will be reserved and is therefore not available for the OS' use. So, if you have 128MB of RAM, this feature effectively reduces the usable amount of RAM to 127MB.

In certain motherboards, this feature may actually render all RAM above the 15th MB off-limits to the OS! In this case, you will effectively have only 14MB of RAM, irrespective of how much RAM your system actually has.

Since ISA cards are a thing of the past, you should always disable this feature. Even if you have an ISA card that you absolutely must use, that doesn't mean you must enable this feature. Most ISA cards don't need this reserved memory area. Check to make sure that your ISA card absolutely requires this memory area to work properly before enabling this feature.

Date: 21 Sep, 2002 on 01:07
Kim
Team member
in staff

4. OS Select For DRAM > 64MB
When the system memory is more than 64MB in size, OS/2 differs from other operating systems (OS) in the way it manages the RAM. However, this is only true for older versions of OS/2. If you are still running an older version of IBM's OS/2 operating system, you will need to select OS/2.

Starting with OS/2 Warp v3.0 or if you have installed the FixPaks that IBM has been releasing over the years, you should select Non-OS/2 instead. Otherwise, it will cause erroneous memory detection, i.e. if you have 64MB of RAM, it may only register as 16MB or if you have more than 64MB of RAM, it may register as only 64MB of RAM.

For other operating systems, use the Non-OS/2 setting.

More information regarding bios config can be found at www.rojakpot.com.

Date: 21 Sep, 2002 on 01:13
how to set cmos for dual boot?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: