Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Windows 2000 and OS2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arulthas
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 29 Jan, 2004
1. Windows 2000 and OS2
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi all,

I have a notebook with 20GB hard disk which already installed with W2k. now I want to partition 500MB out of this 20GB to install OS2. How to go about this? Is the step by step instruction for this?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 29 Jan, 2004 on 08:10
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
No special actions are needed.

1. Insert your OS/2 CD into the drive and reboot. I suppose you will install from CD. Otherwise insert the startup diskette into the drive.
2. Select custom install.
3. Install boot manager.
4. Prepare partition for your OS/2.
5. Mark both the w2k and OS/2 partitions as bootable.
6. Save and Exit, continue installing.

You will have a boot manager, which will offer both w2k and OS/2.

Notes:
1. The boot manager partition need not be the first partition on your HD.
2. Don't forget that your computer is starting with BIOS. In general, your operating system partitions should be in the first 8GB of your HD because BIOS need not be able to address sectors behind this limit. Therefore, if your w2k partition is large or if you have some data partitions on your HD as well, then you can run into problems because you won't be able to install OS/2 so that it will be in the first 8GB.
In that case:
a) Try to install OS/2.
b) If the installation crashes then you will need to reorganize your HD. Create partitons for your operating systems, keep them small, and don't use them for storing data or user apps. Add data partitions (they can be behind the 8GB limit because they will not be accessed by BIOS but by the operating system) and use them for storing data and user apps.
As far as w2k is considered, you will need 3GB partition for the operating system (((. As far as eCS is considered, 1GB partition for the operating system is more than enough.
If you are reorganizing your HD:
a) Install w2k first! Mandatory! If yopu install boot manager first or reserve a partition for OS/2 first then you will be surprised! w2k installation will rewrite your partitions even if it will not said that it should do something there ((( Result: OS/2 will not boot, w2k will not boot, or the computer will not start at all.
b) Continue as described above. Install boot manager, etc.

Date: 29 Jan, 2004 on 10:05
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
Also if you want to keep the existing installation, you might need Partition Magic as well to be able to create the new OS2 partition without having to delete the existing installation.

As well, I would suggest to use Air-Boot instead of OS2 Bootmanager since you have to waste one partition where Air-Boot is located within the master boot record (mbr).

Date: 29 Jan, 2004 on 12:26
Stuart
Premium member
in user

since: 16 Jul, 2003
4. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
DFSee is an OS/2 - eCS equivalent to Partition Magic, which works well (if a little obscurely)

Stuart

Date: 29 Jan, 2004 on 13:24
arulthas
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
Hi All,

I manage to boot using installation diskette for cd-rom and after insert installation diskette 1 and after few checking I get the following error. Please advice how to move forward from here.

TRAP 0003 ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=********
EAX-00009682 EBX=00f4023e ECX=fdf009fa EDX=00000560
ESI=000011d4 EDI=fc80001b EBP=00004e08 FLG=00003086
CS: EIP=06e8:00002529 CSACC=009f CSLIM=0000461f
SS: ESP=0030:00004e08 SSACC=1097 SSLIM=0003ffff

DS=06e0 DSACC=00f3 DSLIM=00001d03
ES=06e0 ESACC=00f3 ESLIM=00001d03
FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********

The system detected an internal processing error at location ##0160:fff5c34c – 000d: 934c
60000, 9084
048600b4

Internal revision 8.162, 94/09/19

The system is stopped. Record all if the above information and contact your service representative.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 03:07
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
6. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
last updated at 06 Feb, 2004 19:15 (4 times)
Have you updated the installations diskettes with Dani IDE drivers? Also there is a similar thread that might give you some clues.

Also how is the partition structure of the disk, ie how have you set up the partitions? If you have the 500mb in the end of the disk this could be the cause for problem with the installations. So see to that you have the OS2 partition before the Win 2k partition.

Here is how my partition structure looks like:

Date: 06 Feb, 2004 on 19:07 Attachment: lvm.gif
arulthas
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
Hi,

I have a Toshiba satellite 2060CDS with 20GB HDD install with W2KPro. Following is what I want to do:-

1. Format this HDD
2. Partition the HDD into 2, 500MB and the remaining.
3. install OS
a. 1st Partition 500MB – OS/2 version 3
b. 2nd Partition remaining – W98SE

4. Install boot manager to switch this OS.

I would like to find out much will it cost to perform the about job.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 20 Feb, 2004 on 02:01
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
8. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
I am almost sure that you won't pass. W98 MUST be on the "C" partition, i.e., on the first bootable partition on your HD. Some recommendations:

1. You need not format your HD. FDISK from the old DOS5 is much faster and it still works! It's even able to delete partitions of windows NT, where other disk managers give up and report critical errors. The installers will format the pratitions later. Delete all partitions from your HD.
2. Prepare a partition for W98. Yes, 500 MB should be enough, but I would recommend 1 GB instead. Don't forget that windows like to install software on the C partition no matter where they had been said to install.
3. Install W98.
4. Now, the operating system Create a boot manager partition, prepare the OS/2 partition, mark both W98 and OS/2 partitions bootable, and install. Again 500 MB should be enough for Warp 3 but I would recommend 1 GB.

Date: 20 Feb, 2004 on 09:49
Kim
Team member
in staff

9. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
Well, almost true regarding Win 98, if you check my capture of lvm above you'll might notice that the OS2 partition is the first one. The second one is Win 98 and the 3rd is Win XP.

/Kim

Date: 20 Feb, 2004 on 20:53
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
10. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2

Radek (20 Feb, 2004 10:49):
I am almost sure that you won't pass. W98 MUST be on the "C" partition, i.e., on the first bootable partition on your HD. Some recommendations:

1. Win 98 needs not be installed on a C partition, prefers it but can boot from any driveletter.

2. If the OS/2 partition if HPFS Win 98 will ignore it and consifers the next patrition it sees to be C anyway

Date: 20 Feb, 2004 on 23:51
Kim
Team member
in staff

11. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2
Agree with what You say Oli, but I didn't agree that Win 98 had to be the first partition and that what was said. For example in my case, to avoid to have Win XP/2000 to touch the Win 98 partition I saw to that I installed Win XP on my disk on the 3rd primary partition. After that I ghosted in Win 98 on the 2nd and finally I ghosted in OS2 on the first. By that I one avoids to have the problem with Win 2000/XP to touch either the Win 98 and OS2 installation.

Installing couple of OS on the same disk can give you a need for couple of headache tablet

Date: 22 Feb, 2004 on 11:24
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
12. Re:Windows 2000 and OS2

Kim (22 Feb, 2004 12:24):
Installing couple of OS on the same disk can give you a need for couple of headache tablet

I do not agree really, the first time I put 2 OS's on one PC was in 1994 and I literally have had no problems since except for slightly longer boot times on win98 in some circumstances if there is a HPFS partition instlalled, LILO (hate that program) and early win2k, all of these can be worked around easily if you know how

All the information I have needed to dual or multi boot with any MS OS for instance I have been able to glean from the readme files supplied on their CD's, or rather what to avoid, what usually causes problems is the disk partitioning utilities that are supplied with OS's, Win9x and DOS FDISK being a particularily bad examples but some Linux ones also have a tendency to write things on your HD that you do not want.

The trick is to read up and plan the partitions beforehand and use Bootmanager or one of the 3 party boot utilities, and to partition the disk with IBM's FDISK or LVM, even if you use Linux/BSD as well, the fdisk/LVM partitions are easily convered to *nix partions with supplied utilities. And never,ever use lilo

Most installed OS's on one computer at once : in 1996 or early 97 that had the following OS's spread over 2 disks, all bootable :
Dos62, dos 33, OS/2 3, OS/2 4, Solaris x86, Openstep, Plan9, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Windows 95, NT 3.51, Minix, Win31.
This used bootmanager and no commercial utilities where used but a few of the OS's shared a partition (Dos6/win31/Warp/minix if I recall it correctly). This was for demonstration purposes only, obviously, who would ever consider using Windows for real work ?

Date: 22 Feb, 2004 on 16:40
Windows 2000 and OS2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: