Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Doug
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Feb, 2004
1. blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
We have an old PS2 machine running OS2 v 1.3. This system runs a document sorter and is extremely proprietary. The disk drive is going south (bearings).

I have tried to Ghost this disk (FAT partition) and I get "unrecognized FAT type" CheckFatTable: Unknown fat_type" or "(15121) CheckFatTable: Unknown fat_type."

I have copied all of the data -- including system and hidden files to another drive, but I cannot make it boot. I have tried doing an old fashioned sys equivalent to the disk and also fdisk /newmbr (see http://www.computing.net/os2/wwwboard/ultraboard/688.html).

Does anyone know how to get this to work? And, no, I don't have the original install diskettes ... do you?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Date: 09 Feb, 2004 on 22:04
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Long shoot here, but could it be that DFSee could fix this?
Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 19:00
zoron
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Oct, 2003
3. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
When you did the sys thing, did you use sysinstx.com?

DfSee would definitely give you an idea what is causing the problem.

Just guessing but it should be possible to build a new system disk using the files on the harddrive.

Checking with google I see that there was a demo of v1.3 at warpstock in 97(?) perhaps they can give you the name of the owner.

Another place to check is www.oldos.org.

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 19:39
Doug
Normal member
in user

4. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
I couldn't remember the name of the sys-equivalent command, but yes ... it was sysinstx.

I have just started looking at DfSee and I agree. It should shed some light on why Ghost won't clone the drive.

Thanks for the other suggestions ... I will follow up on those.

Thanks you.

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 19:42
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
5. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
You need to be aware that the 1.3 variant will not work except with very small disks
Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 21:53
Doug
Normal member
in user

6. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
the bad drive is 80MB. The drive we are trying to use is 1Gig. Based on your response, the 1Gig is not going to work. Do you have any idea what the max size is?
Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 21:57
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
7. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Yeah, 4gig if it's 1.31EE but driver upgrades for older versions would make them work with 4 gigs as well so your 1 gig disk should be OK, there was a problem or a trick with the boot partitions of 1 gig or larger so magazines recommended not having the boot partition larger than 500 megs or so, I never took any real notice since I did not use 1.3 at all, I may have an archived version of 1.3 on a zip here somewhere though if you would want to install the system and then the applications/data over it.

My email is oli@audiotools.com you will have to be able to accept mails of a few megs and a valid license, and this is either a US or UK version nota bene

Another option is to copy the data to a newer versions of the system, ecs runs a lot of old apps (acually all that I have tried but a couple of games are badly behaved) but 2.1 and 3 do it even better, it's usually not as difficult to sort out the data/application from the rest of the system as it sounds and they run any just about any hardware (I have 2.1 up on a 120 gig disk). Even if you get it going this is recommended as maintaining a system using the 32 bit versions is much easyer then the 16 bit ones.

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 23:07
BillM
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://billandlou.com
since: 23 Nov, 2002
8. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Being OS/2 software, which is always backwards compatible, have you tried copying your application to a newer, say 2.1, 3.0, 4.0 version to see if it will run there? If so - you get rid of the hardware limits from way back then.
Date: 11 Feb, 2004 on 16:38
Doug
Normal member
in user

9. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3

BillM (11 Feb, 2004 17:3:
Being OS/2 software, which is always backwards compatible, have you tried copying your application to a newer, say 2.1, 3.0, 4.0 version to see if it will run there? If so - you get rid of the hardware limits from way back then.

Thanks for the reply ... I think we are going to build a 4.x warp server and copy the app over. Should work.

Thanks again.

Date: 11 Feb, 2004 on 21:36
Doug
Normal member
in user

10. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3

BillM (11 Feb, 2004 17:3:

Thank Bill ... that is what we will do.

Date: 11 Feb, 2004 on 21:37
RobG
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Nov, 2002
11. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Based on the age of your machine you're probably going to be limited to regular CHS translation and a 500Meg maximum.

Is your existing disk partitioned into volumes < 32Meg? If so you may have 12 bit type 1 FAT, I believe there is also type 4 16 bit FAT possible on smaller drives. You can probably read/edit this with DFSEE.

Date: 12 Feb, 2004 on 10:22
ddelcol
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/rdbms
since: 17 Oct, 2002
12. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Remote possibility:

Obtain, Powerquests DriveImage Version 4 or 5 product, Powerquest was/is OS/2 knowledagable on Filesystems. I have used it to recover OS/2 Imaging Workstations for our Imageplus based systems.

Good Luck.

Date: 13 Feb, 2004 on 02:12
quatras
Normal member
in user

since: 03 May, 2005
13. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Hello,

I have been looking a *long* time for someone still running os/2 1.3. If possible, *please* contact me personally at register@quatras.com ; I have a question to ask you. Thanks,

Robert HOdge

Date: 03 May, 2005 on 16:06
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
14. Re:blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3

Doug (09 Feb, 2004 22:04):
We have an old PS2 machine running OS2 v 1.3. This system runs a document sorter and is extremely proprietary. The disk drive is going south (bearings).

I have tried to Ghost this disk (FAT partition) and I get "unrecognized FAT type" CheckFatTable: Unknown fat_type" or "(15121) CheckFatTable: Unknown fat_type."

I have copied all of the data -- including system and hidden files to another drive, but I cannot make it boot. I have tried doing an old fashioned sys equivalent to the disk and also fdisk /newmbr (see http://www.computing.net/os2/wwwboard/ultraboard/688.html).

Does anyone know how to get this to work? And, no, I don't have the original install diskettes ... do you?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Doug

After copying all the data to another drive you need to use the install disk or I believe you can do it from dos, and run Setboot (if I recall the name correctly) which makes the OS/2 partition bootable (same thing as installing system files in dos)

Date: 04 May, 2005 on 01:40
blast from the past -- OS2 v. 1.3
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: