Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
grandvide
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Mar, 2004
1. OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I'm not sure if others have had the same problem, but here goes...

I have 4 SCSI drives. The first two are on channel A, and the second two on channel B. Everything was working ok until I had to low level format the SCSI Drives on Channel B (I know your probably thinking 'what an idiot' at this point). The SCSI Bios still recognizes all of the drives, but once OS/2 is up the second pair aren't there. (They were E:\ and F:\)

What is the usual procedure in OS/2 for drives after they have been low level formatted?

I figure if there is some way to format them with a file system (like FAT) before OS/2 starts up, maybe OS/2 will recognize the extra drives.

Thanks...

Date: 30 Mar, 2004 on 01:01
grandvide
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
2. Re:OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
<i>
Well, Grandvide. This is easy.
The 2 drives on Channel B are now blank and ready to go. First thing to do, is to run fdisk from a command prompt or fdiskpm from the WPS. Use all the drive as a single partition or break them up into chunks. Your choice.

After fdisk is complete, you will have to reboot, so the new drive letters take effect.

After OS/2 is back up, you still can not use them. You have to format the new partitions.

Open a command prompt and format them. I use the following for my SCSI drives:

FORMAT x: /FS:HPFS /V:x_HPFS /L

If you need the other parameters, just type format /? to see the quick list or 'help format' for more information.

After the format, they are ready to go. Enjoy.l

Hope this helps.
Grim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm already Warp'ed! Do I need the software?
Date: 30 Mar, 2004 on 22:07
</i>

<i>
Thanks Grim. You confirmed what I thought I had to do. For a while I was unable to format the third drive using fdisk. It turns out that I probably partitioned it to the wrong size. When I redid the partition to a size of 2047MB it worked perfectly. I guess there is some sort of size restriction that OS/2 can use at one time??? (The drive is a 2gig drive, just a few megs over 2,047mb anyways -so that the free space is barely anything..)
I haven't been able to figure this out yet, but it looks like fdisk can only see three hard drives, since I originally llf'ed the drives on channel b. That fourth drive isn't there. I'm hoping that I didn't kill the drive. The SCSI Bios shows that it is there, so I'm in the process of formatting it again to see if that works. Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

Date: 31 Mar, 2004 on 17:43
</i>

Date: 31 Mar, 2004 on 17:46
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
3. Re:OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
er . no the 2gig limitation is a FAT filesystem limitation you should be using HPFS, JFS or HPFS386 depending on your OS variant
Date: 31 Mar, 2004 on 20:27
grandvide
Normal member
in user

4. Re:OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
Hey all,

I replaced the drive that I thought was bad. So I put this new drive in and the SCSI Bios picks it sure enough. But within OS/2 I ran fdiskpm and there are still only three drives there, not one of them being the new drive. Anybody have any more thoughts on this? I wondering if the SCSI Bios is ok or if OS/2 can scan for new hardware changes... I'm running out of ideas here...

thanks

Date: 01 Apr, 2004 on 19:33
Gdd
Normal member
in user

since: 09 Apr, 2004
5. Re:OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
Hi grandvide. I am putting together a scsi opteron server. Since I wanted clean install of warp Server for e-business, I low level formatted my five IBM ultra 160's and re-partitioned each one with LVM. My Adaptec 39160 did not actually do the low level format but instead made the call to the existing format program on the HDD. the only problem I faced was making the boot floppies(modified) to get OS/2 to recognize the SCSI adapter. Hope this info helps.
Date: 09 Apr, 2004 on 07:58
OS/2 Warp & SCSI Drives
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: