Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
DELL Laptops and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
1. DELL Laptops and OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Greetings everyone;

does anyone have experience with running OS/2 on a newer Dell laptop? My company will be buying me a new laptop within the next six months and I would like to get something that I can install OS/2 on as well. The company only buys Dell computers right now.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide.

Shadallark

Shadallark
running eCS v1.03 on an IBM Aptiva
learning to program for OS/2 and eCS!
Under development, 4x space strategy game for OS/2 and eCS, Guardian Wolves: http://members.shaw.ca/guardian_wolves/
Date: 13 Apr, 2004 on 16:06
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:DELL Laptops and OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I just installed MCP2 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 and the installation work out without any problem. The audio worked out using the UniAudio drivers and to support the graphics I'm using the SNAP drivers. Only flaw regarding the graphics is that SNAP don't support accellerated gfx on the nVidia mobile chip and as well the 8600 has a 15.4" widescreen 1680x1050 resolution. I'm getting 1400x1050, but I can live with that. I ordered the 8600 with the Intel miniPCI 2100 wireless lan (no clue about the Dell offered wireless nic if they work or not under os2) and there is no support for this board (yet, at least). So I'm currently trying out using a LinkSys WPC-11 v4 wireless card; should work out since there are some early betas. The BroadCom 4401 integrated NIC has no support either... typical since the 57xx serias has drivers from BroadCom... USB works without any problem.

To sum up, if I can get the NIC to work via wireless, I'm happy and we could add the Dell Inspiron 8600 to the list of hardware that works with OS2.

I'll let you know when I've managed to get the WPC-11 card to work.

/Kim

Date: 13 Apr, 2004 on 20:09
DELL Laptops and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: