Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Apr, 2004
1. eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 29 Oct, 2004 11:29 (2 times)
Hi !
Does someone know if eCS would run on my Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced ? If it would run, would eCS reconize two CPUs because of the Pentium 4 HT Technology ? And would the Firewire hardware be supported as well as the wireless lan mini-PCI card ?

Toby

PS:
When the wireless lan card would be working, would it be possible to use ADSL over a wireless router ?

Date: 17 Apr, 2004 on 13:02
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 17 Apr, 2004 14:19 (1 times)
The 5150 is rather similar to the 8600 that I got and there are couple of postings regarding this system in the forum.

But regarding HT OS2 will not gain anything and then again I guess that you have the eCS version that only supports one CPU so would not gain anything anyway. nVidia chip is supported via snap, but since it's the mobile nvidia chip you won't have accellerated support. Guess that the 510 uses the TI4510 chip for the cardbus so that would be supported by the APSoft socket service. USB is no problem on my side at all. As far as I know there is no support for firewire under os2, yet. The integrated Intel miniPCI 2100 (I asume this since this is the standard from Dell) is currently not supported under OS2. But, try to run the pci.exe tool get the full spec of the system. I have attached it to this message.

/Kim

Date: 17 Apr, 2004 on 14:17 Attachment: pci048vk.zip
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 29 Oct, 2004 11:30 (1 times)
HI !
I have just tried to install eCS 1.1 on my Laptop and it worked ,so the Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced could also be added to the Support List !!

Anyway, I have still got the problem to get the cardbus, the sound card and the lan card working :

I selected the SS2TICB.SYS driver for the cardbus during the installation, but it doesn`t seem to be installed right, because it says during the start of the config.sys that the file can`t be found. Does anyone have an idea how to reinstall the driver ?

Does anyone know if the UniAud Projekt Driver support the sound card (SigmaTel from Intel) .

Does anyone know if there are any drivers around which would support my Broadcom 4xx 10/100 LAN Card ?

Toby

PS: I don`t really need the WLAN Support right now, but in case does someone has a driver for the Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g Mini-PCI WLAN Card ?!

Date: 19 May, 2004 on 21:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Well I asume that the system uses the same chip as the Inspiron 8600, ie TI4510 and Daniela's Enhanced Drivers for SS won't do the trick. Actually on my system it halts the system and I can only reset the system. I'm currently trying out with TouchStone Software Corporation drivers that supports the TI4510.

Same goes here I asume that 5150 has same audio chip as 8600 so yes, the UniAud drivers supports the audiocard.

Currently no support for the 4xx series; I had my hope to that the 57xx NIC would be rather similar when it came to the ndis drivers available for OS2, but it's not. But, it would be great to get proper support for this nic, no doubt.

/Kim

Date: 19 May, 2004 on 22:25
Toby
Normal member
in user

5. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Hi !
I didn`t had much time the last months to reply this topic, because I had to learn a lot for my exams in school. Anyway I passed all and now I´ve got again time for eComStation.

I tried the UniAudio Projekt Driver and it worked. So I´ve got one Problem less. But there are still at least 3 Problems left:

1. Cardbus
2. Network
3. Wireless Network

You wrote the last time that you would use the
TouchStone Software Corporation drivers for the Cardbus TI4510. I´ve got the same Cardbus, could you tell me where it´s possible to download this driver ?

Are there maybe now drivers around which would support our Broadcom LAN Cards and my Wireless Lan Card from Dell (Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g Mini-PCI WLAN Card ) ?

Toby

Date: 11 Jul, 2004 on 13:30
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
1. Cardbus

Regarding TouchStone drivers for the cardbus; they aren't free for download. Danielas drivers for cardbus works that far that the cardbus is found, but the drivers hangs the system directly after the bus has been found. So as far as I managed to test me to is that the TouchStone drivers is currently the one needed to kick some life into the system.

2. Network

Nothing more has happened here and I havenät really heard anything more. Just some few lines that we are not the only one that would like to see a drivers.

3. Wireless Network

Well, above totally depends on that you'll get the cardbus running and as well on that you have the proper wireless card.

Date: 12 Jul, 2004 on 09:44
Toby
Normal member
in user

7. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Hi !
It has again past some time and I have not used eCS now for a quiet long time, but I am still interested in getting it to work totally !

But let me guess nothing new for the 5150, or is there ?

Anyway if there is or not, would there be any advance in ordering eCS 1.2 ? I mean any new included driver which could solve our above discussed problems ? And is there maybe as well better support for the energy management, because I just discoverd that eCS 1.1 doesn´t seem to support the energy management of my Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced (It doesn´t display the power symbol in the taskbar and I can´t use the the power management tab in the system menu)

Toby

Date: 17 Oct, 2004 on 00:35
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
No nothing new has happend and eCS v1.2 won't give you anything new. The only driver that might have been updated is for the cardbus. Regarding wireless nothing new either and the BroadCom nic isn't supported yet. Try to send BroadCom an e-mail or two to give them some hint on that there is need for OS2 drivers.
Date: 17 Oct, 2004 on 14:30
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
9. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
The more people sending an e-mail asking for OS/2-eCS support, the greater the chance they will support it (it will show a potential market for them to work toward).

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 19 Oct, 2004 on 00:12
Kim
Team member
in staff

10. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced

Toby (29 Oct, 2004 11:29):
Does someone know if eCS would run on my Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced ? If it would run, would eCS reconize two CPUs because of the Pentium 4 HT Technology ? And would the Firewire hardware be supported as well as the wireless lan mini-PCI card ?

Good news is that the BroadCom 4401 chipset now has a fully working driver, I've just installed it on my Dell 8600 and works so far perfect. I've attached the driver to this message as well.

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 21:01 Attachment: b44a01.zip
Toby
Normal member
in user

11. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 30 Jan, 2005 20:56 (1 times)
Hi !

Thank you very much for posting the driver for the LAN Adapter!
It also works great on my Dell Inspirion 5150 Adv.

But I've still got some networking problems:

1. I havn't got any problems accessing Windows XP from eCS 1.1.
(Execpt that I can't use the shares which have more than 9 Charcters,but I already now that!)

But when I try to access eCS from Windows XP, a window pops up asking me for the username and password for the eCS machine.When I enter the username and password which I specified for my share under eCS, I still can't get access to the share!

Which options will I also have to change to get access?
(I already changed the Lmannounce setting to 1 in the windows registry!)

Does it matter how usernames in eCS have to be written? Maybe together and upskirt (e.g. Peter Mueller -> PETERMUELLER)?

Is it possible that the eCS firewall blocks my attemps to access the system?
I thought that I already allowed any connection inside my LAN:
permit 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 all any 0 any 0 both both both
Shouldn't the deny-all rule be standing before all other rules?
When I check the rules with the cfgfilt command the deny-all rule is always the last!

2. When I access a share which has one folder inside with more than 9 characters.
I can't even see the folders inside which have less than 9 characters.
Is this normal?

Thanks

Toby

UPDATE (2h later)

I solved the first issue, by using the shares without having to enter a password to access it.(No Password for the Users)
I would prefer to use passwords for the users, but I don't know how to do it!

I still don't know as well why I can only get access to the content of one share.
Might that be because this share lies on a NTFS Drive while the others are on a FAT32 Drive?

Date: 30 Jan, 2005 on 20:54
Kim
Team member
in staff

12. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced

But when I try to access eCS from Windows XP, a window pops up asking me for the username and password for the eCS machine.When I enter the username and password which I specified for my share under eCS, I still can't get access to the share!

A while ago I had shared betwen win and os2, but if I don't recall it wrong you need to have the exactly the same userid and password on both system where you want to access the shared resources.

2. When I access a share which has one folder inside with more than 9 characters.
I can't even see the folders inside which have less than 9 characters.
Is this normal?

Hmm can't help you here, need to give a try on my side; I've accessed resources from os2 servers with both windows and os2 system but never used peer... so need to try. But would guess that it's the FAT32 issue as you also mentioned in your update.

Date: 30 Jan, 2005 on 23:17
Toby
Normal member
in user

13. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 01 Feb, 2005 09:27 (3 times)

Kim (12 Jul, 2004 09:44):
3. Wireless Network

Well, above totally depends on that you'll get the cardbus running and as well on that you have the proper wireless card.

Hi!
I just read the whole topic over again and saw that you thought that the WLAN adapter which I mentioned (Truemobile 1300 mini-pci) would be a card for the cardbus. But in fact it´s build inside my Laptop.

Therefore I would´nt even need to get the cardbus running, if there would be driver for my WLAN Adapter it would work. But it doesn´t matter any longer, because I got the cardbus running by updating the driver for it!

Anyway, might there be drivers out yet for the WLAN Adapter?

Toby

Date: 01 Feb, 2005 on 09:20
Kim
Team member
in staff

14. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 01 Feb, 2005 13:49 (1 times)
Okey, when it comes to wifi miniPCI cards then there is only one card that I know so far that have drivers and that is the IBM mPCI Wireless card. You're able to get the card from eBay for around $35. Worth buying if you don't want to wait around for drivers to be released.....
Date: 01 Feb, 2005 on 11:10
Kim
Team member
in staff

15. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Toby, forgot to say, but since the release of the cardbus software from IBM, ie version 8.0 the pc-card now works perfect on my Dell 8600.
Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 12:59
Toby
Normal member
in user

16. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Hi !

Kim (04 Mar, 2005 12:59):
Toby, forgot to say, but since the release of the cardbus software from IBM, ie version 8.0 the pc-card now works perfect on my Dell 8600.

Thanks, but I already updated it at the beginning of the years.

Kim (30 Jan, 2005 23:17):
(...) But would guess that it's the FAT32 issue as you also mentioned in your update.

Yes, you´re right:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=585694

I have now decided to buy an PCMCIA Network card, the NetGear MA-401 seems to be the right one for me.
It is also supported as reading http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=wifidevs shows.

The device driver is also part of the Generic PRISM driver, which can be found here:
http://tapsa.terae.net/os2/programs/drivers/genprism.2.0rc4.zip

Is this a good choise?

Another piece of hardware, would be the modem, which is an Broadcom v.92 56kb Modem as Windows hardware state. Is there any support as far as you know?

Toby

PS: The BroadCom 4401 chipset driver has been updated:
http://www.os2warp.be/gigabit/gomi/b44a03.zip

Date: 01 Nov, 2005 on 19:02
Toby
Normal member
in user

17. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
last updated at 28 Mar, 2006 18:21 (1 times)
Hi !

I have just seen that there are OS/2 speedstep drivers around for intel mobile chips.would this driver work on the Inspirion 5150? I know that this is an apm driver and my laptop is acpi.

Toby

Date: 27 Mar, 2006 on 19:21
Smedles
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://smedley.info/os2ports.html
since: 12 Jul, 2003
18. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced

Toby (28 Mar, 2006 18:21):
I have just seen that there are OS/2 speedstep drivers around for intel mobile chips.would this driver work on the Inspirion 5150? I know that this is an apm driver and my laptop is acpi.
Toby

an acpi driver is coming in eCS v2. Currently it doesn't fully power notebook power functionality but it is being worked on.

For your wireless card - genmac might work - ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/genmac

If you card isn't listed - follow the instructions to send details of your wireless card so it can be added in a future release.

Cheers,

Paul.

Date: 29 Mar, 2006 on 00:58
Toby
Normal member
in user

19. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Hi!

Smedles (29 Mar, 2006 00:5:
Currently it doesn't fully power notebook power functionality but it is being worked on.

Thanks, just thought It might work.

Smedles (29 Mar, 2006 00:5:

The genmac was and is still not working, but as I stated above the generic prism is:

Toby (01 Nov, 2005 19:02):
The device driver is also part of the Generic PRISM driver, which can be found here:

Toby

Date: 29 Mar, 2006 on 15:24
Smedles
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://smedley.info/os2ports.html
since: 12 Jul, 2003
20. Re:eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced

Toby (29 Mar, 2006 15:24):
Hi!
[quote]Smedles (29 Mar, 2006 00:5:

The genmac was and is still not working, but as I stated above the generic prism is:

Toby (01 Nov, 2005 19:02):

Genprism only works with pcmcia devices - I thought your Dell had an onboard mini-PCI wireless card?

Cheers,

Paul.

Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 02:54
eComStation 1.1 on Dell Inspirion 5150 Advanced
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: