Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
HPFS386 and Warp 4
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arr
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Jan, 2004
1. HPFS386 and Warp 4
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am just curious since I don't have access to a warp server box to try it out my self; so I was wondering, has anyone installed this on their regular warp 4 machine and how much success did you have? I have been reading about how it can be installed on a regular warp 4 box and that IBM had no problem with people doing so if they had access to a warp 4 server. An inguiring mind would just like to know.

regards,
arr

Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 01:25
jer
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://os2warpirc.qualitycarpetcare.us
since: 20 Dec, 2003
2. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Yes, In fact I run it with eComStation Entry 1.1
Works very well
However I don't install via the normal way.
Cheers
Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 03:34
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Can only agree that it works without any problem to install on a plain Warp client. I've used the hpfs386 when I had the use to secure up a client down to the level of controlling the directories and files. This can be done adding the hpfs386 security features.
Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 09:54
arr
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Hmmm, interesting. Too bad I don't have access to a warp server box or I would give it a try myself. There are certainly no warp servers around where I am at. Well, anyways I guess I just don't understand why IBM didn't through this in the warp client to begin with.

regards,
arr

Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 12:11
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
5. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
This is a part of the server, and owned partly by Microsoft which demands license fees, quite high, remember Warp server 4, the version without HPFS386 cost something like half of what the version with it cost
Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 12:37
arr
Premium member
in user

6. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Yes, well from what I understand part of hpfs is owned by Microsoft and it was thrown in warp client as well as probably other parts of the os so they could have used the same reasoning and just included FAT. I still don't understand the decision to not include it, but there were several decisions concerning os/2 that IBM made that I think were poor.

arr

Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 12:42
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
7. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
The licens fee was too high and since of JFS support within WSFeB it was taken out of the product. But, one could still buy a seperat hpfs386 licens from IBM (at one could couple of years ago). Also, if one had an earlier licens of the os2 servers there was no problem at all to use the old installations media and this is a valid installation feature. But, I recall that the licens fee to Microsoft per sold system that included hpfs386 was around $100-$160.

But back to the question again, why would you like to install hpfs386? Is due to the fact of mutliuser support or that you can install an extra security feature to gain control over the directories and files. If this is the need you could take a look at Security/2. I haven't tried it out myself and still waiting for feedback on earlier posted question how well it works.

Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 15:09
arr
Premium member
in user

8. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
It's not really a big need or deal to install it. I have been
reading from several articles and tests about the advantages it has over hpfs and just wanted to hear from some people who have actually installed on a regular warp 4 client if it actually gave any performance boosts. I don't think life will cease if I don't get to install it because it's not available ro it is too expensive. It is more of a curiosity issue then anything else.

regards,
arr

Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 19:20
Kim
Team member
in staff

9. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
On a client you will hardly notice any difference in speed.
Date: 18 Apr, 2004 on 20:42
arr
Premium member
in user

10. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Hmmm, well I guess I don't understand some people installing it on warp 4 clients then unless its for the security reasons you mentioned. I guess some of that stuff I read was just hype then. I actually I am quite content with hpfs, it works just fine for me. Thanks for the info Kim.

regards,
arr

Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 03:23
dink
Premium member
in user

since: 03 Jul, 2003
11. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
last updated at 19 Apr, 2004 09:04 (1 times)
I have been using hpfs386 on warp4 client since 1997, and there _is_ a huge difference in speed between it and hpfs.ifs. For me, warp crawls without it. not only is it faster at the same cache sizes (2meg) as hpfs.ifs, its lightyears faster with a huge (12-32meg) cache. Kim either doesn't know what hes talking about, or has too slow of a PC/HDD for it to make a difference..

try it for yourself: (includes an easy-to-use w/warp4/acp/mcp howto)
ftp://os2@imladris.chipdrive.pl/incoming/hpfs386.zip

best regards,
- dink

Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 09:03
Kim
Team member
in staff

12. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Hm.. well, on a multiuser system with heavy file loading/access I totally agree that hpfs386 is highly recommended. But, on plain workstation for normal use, well not that I can agree that I notified an extrem boost of speed. If the workstation has a high workload of accessing files then yes, hpfs386 is recommended. It all comes down to what the system is used for.
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 13:41
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
13. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
There was a huge difference on warp 3 and peraps even more on Warp 4 especially if you had a huge chace (I routinly had half of available memory as a HPFS cahce), IBM will sell you a seperate HPFS386 license for USD 600 BTW, however on ecs 1.1 the speed difference is much less pronounced for reasons that I do not understand all too well, and there are minor incompatiabilitiy issues with the software as well in addition to it being a dead end So currently I am doing without it and as JFS is finally getting rock solid I may delete it from my clients altogether. Bootable JFS would make my day.
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 20:47
jabesse
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://rblcheck.besse.nl/
since: 05 Jun, 2003
14. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
I used it on Warp 4, and it sure gave me turbo! Most noticable when starting large applications like staroffice or mozilla.

With JFS, you won't hardly need it, as JFS is comparable in speed. HPFS386 might be the choice over HPFS if you only have one partition, as JFS isn't bootable (yet). As soon as JFS is bootable, that would be the path to go, as the code for HPFS386 has been frozen for some time already, afaik.

Date: 20 Apr, 2004 on 07:08
jer
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://os2warpirc.qualitycarpetcare.us
15. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4

Kim (18 Apr, 2004 15:09):
The licens fee was too high and since of JFS support within WSFeB it was taken out of the product. But, one could still buy a seperat hpfs386 licens from IBM (at one could couple of years ago). Also, if one had an earlier licens of the os2 servers there was no problem at all to use the old installations media and this is a valid installation feature. But, I recall that the licens fee to Microsoft per sold system that included hpfs386 was around $100-$160.

But back to the question again, why would you like to install hpfs386? Is due to the fact of mutliuser support or that you can install an extra security feature to gain control over the directories and files. If this is the need you could take a look at Security/2. I haven't tried it out myself and still waiting for feedback on earlier posted question how well it works.

Security/2 works very nice! I use it in conjunction with OpenSSH....I highly recommend it. I'm going to be making a donation to the project soon.

Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 12:10
jer
Normal member
in user

16. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4

dink (19 Apr, 2004 09:04):
I have been using hpfs386 on warp4 client since 1997, and there _is_ a huge difference in speed between it and hpfs.ifs. For me, warp crawls without it. not only is it faster at the same cache sizes (2meg) as hpfs.ifs, its lightyears faster with a huge (12-32meg) cache. Kim either doesn't know what hes talking about, or has too slow of a PC/HDD for it to make a difference..

try it for yourself: (includes an easy-to-use w/warp4/acp/mcp howto)
ftp://os2@imladris.chipdrive.pl/incoming/hpfs386.zip

best regards,
- dink

Dink,
I would have to agree with you hpfs386(I bought my license from a gentleman in Canada...WSeB Addon) makes a huge difference on my workstation. I run pure SCSI though, I don't think it would be as effective on an IDE system...SCSI & hpfs386 & eComStation Entry 1.1 make my PentiumOverdrive 120Mhz system Warp!! :>)

Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 12:15
Toby
Normal member
in user

since: 03 Apr, 2004
17. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
last updated at 03 Apr, 2005 11:58 (2 times)
Hi

Last month I got an OS/2 warp server box from eBay and I already managed to install the HPFS386 package on my eCS 1.1 system. It seemed to work fine, but my problem is now that if I access an eCS share from my windows computer that I don´t have the permission to read or to modify files any more. I even can´t see the files inside my Windows shares any more.

Therefore my question is:
Would it be possible that this could be caused by the hpfs386 security features mentioned by Kim and if so, how can I remove this limitation?

Kim (18 Apr, 2004 09:54):
I've used the hpfs386 when I had the use to secure up a client down to the level of controlling the directories and files. This can be done adding the hpfs386 security features.

Toby

PS:
I already removed any of the settings in the Manage Access dialog. But this doesn´t solve the problem.

Date: 01 Apr, 2005 on 14:26
Toby
Normal member
in user

since: 03 Apr, 2004
18. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
last updated at 01 Nov, 2005 18:33 (1 times)
Hi

Toby (03 Apr, 2005 11:5:
(...) my problem is now that if I access an eCS share from my windows computer that I don´t have the permission to read or to modify files any more.

After a half-year of seeking, I now found a document, which shows me that under hpfs386 no share ever can be modified.

http://svn.clkao.org/svnweb/linux/checkout/cvs/Documentation/filesystems/hpfs.txt?rev=19650

->" HPFS386 on OS/2 server is not supported. HPFS386 installed on normal OS/2 client should work. If you have OS/2 server, use only read-only mode."

Toby

Date: 01 Nov, 2005 on 18:32
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
19. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Toby,

sorry that I didn't notice this thread before. What Windows version are the machines running? I've had both a Warp Server Advanced and now a WSEB both using HPFS386. I was able to connect with every version of windows.
But I must admit that XP (or Microsoft in general) have a completely different understanding of how networks should work than the rest of the civilized world. If you set up a XP machine user without password, it'll be very very hard, because IBM and Microsoft do not share the same meaning of "no password"...
The most simple approach is to set up the xp user with a password and then setup a user on the WarpServer with the identical name and password. Next, you only need to link the user to shares (on the server) with appropriate rights - that's it. Of course, there's room for improvement in matters of groups and rights, but basically this is it.
So if the problem still exists and you need help, feel free to either post it here or send a private mail to warpcafe [AT] yahoo.de...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 04 Nov, 2005 on 09:32
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
20. Re:HPFS386 and Warp 4
Hi Toby,

it's me again. I followed the link to the document you mentioned above... so if I understand correctly, you are running HPFS386 on an OS/2 machine and your windows machines can't see the shares, is that right?
If so: Forget that document! That hasn't to do anything(!) with your problem. If I understand correctly, this document is a description of a HPFS driver for linux. And a very bad one by the way. If the document intends to be an explanation of OS/2's HPFS(~386) then the author most probably never set up an OS/2 system with HPFS386 or is a complete idiot.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 04 Nov, 2005 on 09:40
HPFS386 and Warp 4
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: