Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Day
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Jul, 2002
1. can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I usually have bout a dozen hd on hand. if I
could put the install on a master, and then
copy to a slave, could that then be put on
a new system as master?
at the rate floppies die, I forsee trouble.
Date: 30 Jul, 2002 on 03:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
There is no problem at all if you want to copy your active system to another disk for backup purpose. Using plain xcopy worksout as long that you put the needed parameters on, such as:

xcopy c:\ d:\ /s /e /h /t /r

To get the data verified you can add the /v as well.

/Kim

Date: 31 Jul, 2002 on 10:56
Day
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?

Kim (Jul 31, 2002 10:56):
There is no problem at all if you want to copy your active system to another disk for backup purpose. Using plain xcopy worksout as long that you put the needed parameters on, such as:

xcopy c:\ d:\ /s /e /h /t /r

To get the data verified you can add the /v as well.

/Kim

Well, that is certainly useful, but I test a
lotta software and operating systems, seven
different linux distros, for example, and in
time run them on a 486 testbed or a fairly
recent 800mhz.
So, if I could setup another hard drive just
to do quick and easy installs of various
combinations of mothbds and drives, that'd be
kinda nice.

With the standard Nix CD install, its easier
cuase you dont havta mess with floppies. Just
come back from time to time while it unzips.
But... an xcopy like you say would be gonzo
faster.. but could it be run to goto setup?

Date: 01 Aug, 2002 on 02:42
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
Hmm.. okey starting to follow what you want to do. But, if You have the need to either backup a installation that You made and then switch around on the hardware I would use Ghost then. Os2 and Linux will handle the change of hardware. Windloze I guess that we both know will give some heache. So another way of doing this is to install from a network server. Okey you still have to make the entire installations. But you just need to config the installations diskettes to install from the net. Right, then again if You don't want to have the installations diskettes then its a problem. Yet, another way of doing a nice backup that won't give you problem regarding the disk size, ie guess that you might install on a large disk and then take an older disk to slam in the backup could be a problem. Ghost won't give you problem here (well almost never . You could use software such as PC-Bax from Cristie. Their software is available for OS2, Linux and Windows. One (1) diskette is enough to get you running and either pick the backup file from cd-rom or a network server. Even better if you keep the installations partitions small enought to fit into a cd you could make the cd bootable then then you won't have to think about the diskettes anymore Lots of ways to handle it and I don't know what way you would prefer to use.

/Kim

Date: 02 Aug, 2002 on 15:17
Day
Normal member
in user

5. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
Thanx Kim for your input. There are the more
immediate problems, and those I see for many
others in the developing world who receive
donated 486s that they have been threatened
by Microsoft with Litigation unless they take
all microsoft software off the donations.

Routinely now, the cases are opened and have
the dust blown out, and a newer, but still
cheap and obsolete hard drive installed. OX/2
on another hard drive would be a much faster
source for the volunteers to use to install a
new microsoft free os.

I know that this is still technically piracy,
but in this case, what it would mean is many
more pcs installed in these areas, and they
in turn would require internet servers. Which
is what IBM is trying to sell these days.

So, all the install software on a HD would be
able to identify the hardware of any given
donated system, and be much more reliable than using CDs, much less floppies. Most of
the developing world does not have AC offices
with air filtration systems, so dust gets on everthing, and the life expectancy of floppies runs less than a month.

A hard drive is a sealed source for install.

Date: 04 Aug, 2002 on 20:06
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
last updated at 05 Aug, 2002 00:43 (1 times)
Ok, I'm following you know and what You are trying to do. I actually have actually been part of a similar donation program here in Sweden when I worked for IBM Sweden. IBM hade a huge amount of old PC 486 and old Pentium system that they wanted to donate to different schools and organisations. Installing windows would give us some headache and wouldn't work out, as well would the licens cost kill the projects as well. So what we did was to make a installation of Os2 that we made so clean as possible. By using the gradd drivers for OS2 we could get the preload of OS2 to run on more or less anything. We then made original Ghost image that we mirrored on all the system without any problem. Okey then you have the problem of different size of the disk, but we made the original image of a 10Gb disk and since none of the system had disks from 1Gb to 5-6Gb Ghost just saw to that it fitted the image onto the disk. Work perfect! Using windows system would give a bit more of headache to solve. But, seeing to that the Windows CAB files are stored within the Ghost image would solve the problem when Windows plug and pray finds the "new" hardware.

As mentioned using Ghost from Symantec would be the easiest way of handling what you're trying to do. Since the images can be on CD that would be sent out along with the systems to get donated.

Also even if you have a lot of harddisk that you want to speed load I would still recommend to have a master image on a CD (or on a harddisk for that matter) and then using Ghost to preload the disk).

/Kim

Date: 05 Aug, 2002 on 00:40
Day
Normal member
in user

7. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
KIM>
Also even if you have a lot of harddisk that you want to speed load I would still recommend to have a master image on a CD (or on a harddisk for that matter) and then using Ghost to preload the disk).<
Well, yeah, fur sure, I like having the master cds. although, in this particular case
it is a royal pain cause OS/2 does not run the cd when booted from the hd. unlisted cd drive. Which is why I ended up trying to put
a copy of the cd on another hd in the first place. I still havta install the bonus disk,
or do it correct, cause os/2 wont dail up
either.

But like with Linux, there are distros that let you copy the entire install cd onto the
hard drive, so that no matter what hardware
you install, you never havta dig up the cd
rom again, much less monkey around with all
those microsoft license numbers.

"Ghost"? izzat like pkzip, that can take an
entire disk, read all the directories and files to backup the whole drive as a compressed .zip file? or RAR?

Date: 05 Aug, 2002 on 21:38
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
last updated at 06 Aug, 2002 12:14 (1 times)
No Ghost is nothing like PkZip. What it does it take a raw capture of your harddisk and let you store it either on another local disk or on a server.By using compression (zip I guess) it also manage to get the images rather small and as well giving you the option of having it to "re-install" an image by using dynamic option. So having an capture disk image that is 10Gb can be squeezed onto a 2Gb disk. This only works if the ghost image holds less data than 2Gb. And a clean OS usually comes around to 30 - 900Mb depending on what OS.

Check out Symantec for more information about Symantec Ghost software. Think that there still should be a Personal version as well a Corporate version as this link point to.

Date: 06 Aug, 2002 on 12:13
can I put everything on a backup hd to install from?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: