Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Zawiah
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Apr, 2004
1. Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am not very techy, but I am intelligent and adaptable and I am going to take the plunge soon. I have just bought a new PC with a AMD Athlon XP2400+ processor. It comes with Windows XP. I have asked for Red Hat Linux to be installed on a dual boot or in a second primary partition. My plan is to get the hang of Linux and only use XP until I no longer need it - if at all - and then install either OS/2 Warp 4.5 or eCS, formatting the partition. The Linux applications I am hoping will run under XFree86. I have some experience of Warp and have applications and files-less than 500MB -ready to migrate to the new PC. Presumably I will be getting these transferred to CD Rom and thence to a prepared logical drive on the new PC. Feel free to tell me if I'm taking on a lot! Or talking rubbish! I have heard in fact that OS/2 would be least problematic as eCS is hard to install. What would be my best option? Any advice welcome!
Zawiah
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 01:19
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Niether OS/2 or eCS was difficult to install (IMHO). I had OS/2 Warp ver 4 on my computer up till I switched to eComStation. I had some problems but there were easily solved in a forum like this one (a minor problem that was solved by reformatting the partitiioin that I had Warp ver 4 on but the installation was easy after that). With my computer, I had two partitions (c: 2 gig and d: with 17) but only had OS/2 Warp ver 4 on it.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 16:24
Zawiah
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Thanks. The last time I installed OS/2 it was Warp 4 on an old Intel 486 and that was a breeze - many years ago! I suppose my immediate concerns are rumours I heard that Windows XP will not allow IBM boot manager to be installed and also that it is hard to remove XP once it has been installed. I was given a new PC as a gift so I had little control over the hardware (AMD Athlon XP2400+) but I asked for Linux to be pre-installed as I thought that at least should indicate what is possible. They haven't got back to me to say there are problems so if Linux and XP can coexist I expect no major hurdle with installing Warp and eventually deleting XP.
So. Anyone had experience of installing Warp or eCS in place of Windows XP? Does formatting the partition remove it? Does boot manager work?
Zawiah
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 18:40
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Check following thread for more info regarding installing OS/2 together with Windows.
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 18:40
Zawiah
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine

Kim (19 Apr, 2004 18:40):
Check following thread for more info regarding installing OS/2 together with Windows.

Thanks everyone! I think I've got enough confidence to go ahead now! I've looked at some other threads and I know where to come if I have any specific problems along the way.
Thanks again!

Zawiah
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 18:51
Luc
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2ecs
since: 21 Feb, 2001
6. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
The eComStation 1.1 install has been the easiest of any OS/2 version that I have ever done. IMO, Serenity Systems has given the installer the update it desperately needed for a very long time. And considering the eCS roadmap that was published a few days ago, I would recommend you go the eComStation route.
Luc Van Bogaert
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 22:09
Zawiah
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine

Luc (19 Apr, 2004 22:09):
The eComStation 1.1 install has been the easiest of any OS/2 version that I have ever done. IMO, Serenity Systems has given the installer the update it desperately needed for a very long time. And considering the eCS roadmap that was published a few days ago, I would recommend you go the eComStation route.

Thanks. I might well do that - although I have heard contra somewhere.
One question - I would like to install with JFS and I believe this comes with eCS but not with CP or Passport or whatever from IBM (which I don't understand I admit!). I think that JFS is 'the business' and even if I use my old Warp 4 CD and go down the CP route it would be nice to have a really stable and optimal system.
Also, can I keep my old OS/2 Warp desktop with ECS? We go back a long way! (I used to have a screensaver at work that said "My other computer uses OS/2 Warp!").
Sorry. that's two questions!
Zawiah
Date: 19 Apr, 2004 on 23:36
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
8. Re:Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
One of the biggest issues for me has earlier been the lack of proper applications for graphics. But here the situation has improved a lot since of the Gimp version for OS/2. As well lots of very cool java applications run of course without any problem under OS/2. Moving away from Windows is problem anymore, as long your not the need of using lots of Adobe applications, then again. If there is a need there is always VPC so you can install some extra OS directly under OS/2.
Date: 20 Apr, 2004 on 16:30
Installing OS/2 or eCS on a new machine
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: