Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
1. OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there any command in OS/2 which can display hardware information for the system it is installed ? I am looking for a utility which act like MSD in DOS

Thanks in advance

Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 18:14
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
The Hardware Manager. It's a part of the operating system. You will get a complete list of all hardware, recognized by your system. If you (double) click a particular item on the list, you will get detailed information about resources used by the item (memory usage, ports, IRQs, DMAs, etc.)
Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 18:26
Sam
Premium member
in user

3. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Thank first for the quick reply.

Would you mind to tell me more ?
a. I am using Warp 3, do that utility exist ?
b. If yes, which command is used to invoke this ?

Thanks again

Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 18:38
Admin
Administrator
in admin

since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Well, if you want to dump out plain ascii there is always pci.exe that can be downloaded from Hobbes as it's not part of OS2. But an excellent tool to get hardware info. I've attached it to this message as well.
Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 19:05 Attachment: pci048vk.zip
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
5. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration

Radek (21 Apr, 2004 18:26):
The Hardware Manager. It's a part of the operating system. You will get a complete list of all hardware, recognized by your system. If you (double) click a particular item on the list, you will get detailed information about resources used by the item (memory usage, ports, IRQs, DMAs, etc.)

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The only things that Hardware Manager shows is hardware that has installed drivers that register themselves with the Resource Manager. A large percentage of drivers don't do this - I don't know of any network card drivers that do, and few sound drivers do.

There are a few ways to get details of the other hardware:

- PCI.EXE has been suggested. This gives a list of all the PCI hardware attached whether it has a driver or not.

- RMVIEW is a supplied command that will display lots of details of both registered and unregistered hardware. There is at least one GUI front-end for it on hobbes.

- There is an extra program supplied in Warp4, and I think Warp3, that supplies a lot of info. Unfortunately, I didn't install it with eCS, and have completely forgotten it's name.

- SysInfo/2 is someones attempt to produce a clone of Symantec SystemInfo. It seems to be fairly complete in the info it displays, though I've just discovered it is not working on my system. It's on hobbes.

David
Date: 22 Apr, 2004 on 01:05
Zawiah
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Apr, 2004
6. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration

Sam (21 Apr, 2004 18:14):
Is there any command in OS/2 which can display hardware information for the system it is installed ? I am looking for a utility which act like MSD in DOS

Thanks in advance

You can still probably use MSD as it is part of the shared code. Providing you've not deleted it! Simply open a command prompt and type "MSD" and hit return. It works just the same and will print reports and so on. I am not aware of any problems with using this in Warp.

Zawiah
Date: 22 Apr, 2004 on 15:35
Sam
Premium member
in user

7. Re:OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Admin, davidfor, Zawiah

Thank you very much for your hints.

Date: 22 Apr, 2004 on 18:39
OS/2 command to check hardware configuration
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: