Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS2 install help
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
tmac
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 21 Apr, 2004
1. OS2 install help
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am trying to build an OS2 machine from scratch, and i can not get passed the prompt to insert the OS2 cd rom. I have the actual Warp 4 media but it just doesn't seem to recognize it. The drive spins but no action....
Date: 21 Apr, 2004 on 22:14
TimC
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 21 Feb, 2003
2. Re:OS2 install help
Assuming you've booted from the floppies, have you tried shortcutting that install process and bringing up a command prompt? Can you see the CD-ROM drive at that point? (switch to the appropriate drive letter for the CD-ROM and just do a DIR?)
Date: 22 Apr, 2004 on 03:05
tmac
Normal member
in user

3. Re:OS2 install help
yes, i can see the cd-rom from the DOS prompt and I try to load the "Setupos2.exe" and i get an "SYS1804-the system cannot find the file PMWIN"
Date: 22 Apr, 2004 on 15:54
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:OS2 install help
You need to create a set of installations diskettes instead of trying to start the installation from a DOS-prompt. There is a *.bat and *.cmd scripts on the root of the CD that can be used to create the installations diskettes and you need 3 diskettes if I don't remember wrong. The scripts is called something like cdinst.bat/cmd.... was couple of years ago I created the diskettes so don't really recall. But look for that and you should find what you need.

Depending on what kind of system you installing on you might need to update the installations diskettes when you have created them as well with updated IDE-drivers. Look then for Dainela's IDE drivers, check for a news posting.

Date: 23 Apr, 2004 on 08:47
tmac
Normal member
in user

5. Re:OS2 install help
I tried doing that and the script does run, but i do not get any prompts to make floppies. Is there something that i am missing?
Date: 23 Apr, 2004 on 20:54
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
6. Re:OS2 install help
The file you should execute from any kind of DOS-prompt is cdinst.bat.
Date: 23 Apr, 2004 on 21:00
tmac
Normal member
in user

7. Re:OS2 install help
the only file that i found with cdinst. was a .cmd file and it would not let me do anything
Date: 23 Apr, 2004 on 21:47
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:OS2 install help
The *.cmd file is the OS2 version of the cdinst file to create the installation diskettes. There should be a cdinst.bat, try search CD using dir cdinst.bat /s or just dir *.bat /s to see where it's located.
Date: 23 Apr, 2004 on 22:28
mike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2usr.org/os2sound.html
since: 15 May, 2003
9. Re:OS2 install help
If you like to install from CD without the need to create boot floppies drop me a note, thanks.
Date: 26 Apr, 2004 on 00:35
tmac
Normal member
in user

10. Re:OS2 install help
I would like to try it. Any thing will help right now.
Date: 26 Apr, 2004 on 14:23
mike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2usr.org/os2sound.html
since: 15 May, 2003
11. Re:OS2 install help
Sending mail via os2world didnt seems to work, check my profile for contact (website).
Date: 27 Apr, 2004 on 18:51
OS2 install help
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: