Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installing on PC Compatability Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Matt
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Apr, 2004
1. Installing on PC Compatability Card
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I got a copy of OS/2 Warp v3 today and I I am having difficulty getting it installed using a PC Compatibility card.

First of all, this is on a Power Machintosh which contains a card that has a Pentium processor, Sound Blaster 16 chipset, ATI All-In-Wonder integrated VGA chipset and independant system RAM. With this card, the PowerMac can run Windows 3.1 flawlessly along with Windows 95 and is designed for other PC operating systems as well.

I think the problem comes with the CD-ROM. This is the CD-ROM version of OS/2 and in order for the PC to see the CD there is a SYS file that is added to the CONFIG.SYS in DOS that lets the card share drves with the system. This file is obviously not loaded by the OS/2 Install program and it can't seem to get to the CD-ROM part of the install.

I insert the first disk and it boots to the blue "IBM" screen and asks for the second disk. From there, it goes to the graphical OS/2 screen and then stops after a few moments. My guess is that when it can't find an appropriate driver for the CD-ROM, it abandons the installation attempt.

Is there any way to get the SYS file loaded so that I can proceed with the installation?

Thanks!

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 06:55
Matt
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Apr, 2004
2. Re:Installing on PC Compatability Card
I just found the tech sheet for the card.

OS/2 isn't supported.

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 07:41
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
3. Re:Installing on PC Compatability Card
Would it be possible to boot straight from the CD-ROM? There are people who are creating a bootable CD installation program for OS/2 Warp v4, and eCS installs from the CD.

Shadallark

Shadallark
running eCS v1.03 on an IBM Aptiva
learning to program for OS/2 and eCS!
Under development, 4x space strategy game for OS/2 and eCS, Guardian Wolves: http://members.shaw.ca/guardian_wolves/
Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 12:19
zoron
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Oct, 2003
4. Re:Installing on PC Compatability Card
You could try a hard drive to hard drive install i.e. copy the os2image directory from the cd to the hard disk. See the attached file for more details.

Although if they say os/2 is not supported it probably isn't

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 14:29 Attachment: OSINCDDK.TXT
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
5. Re:Installing on PC Compatability Card
Matt,

I don't remember correctly how Warp 3 install worked, but... if the problem is the CD-Rom not found, it should rather display some sort of appropriate message instead of just doing nothing.
What do you mean by "graphical OS/2 screen"? Is that the logo display or the actual graphical (PM) part of the setup/install?
If you're stuck with the logo, it might also be related to RAM access problems (maybe rom shadowing) or something else... how much RAM has that card got?
Can you tell us something more about that card? If it's built into a Mac, what bus type does the Mac use: SCSI? Then, how does the card access the CD-Rom - by some "PC-IDE to MAC-SCSI" method or does the card use a SCSI driver? Maybe if xou tell us how the DOS driver is called, we can try to "guess" what OS/2-driver could be used...

If it's really related to the CD-Rom and all other methods fail, try to create a set of floppies from off the CD - there should be a "makedisk.bat" or something like this - can't remember the exact name - in the root of the CD which can be run from a DOS (or a DOS-box in Win3x/Win9x).

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 29 Apr, 2004 on 14:59
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
6. Re:Installing on PC Compatability Card
Warp 3 was more picky about memory etc than W4

I have not installed on an Mac PC card for years (Is this an Orange Card ? my recollection is that the Apple cards where all 486) but all the installs I did went OK, only problems where cache memory on some third party cards (turn it off while installing and on again after you have finished) and that the CD dirves where not properly emulated which required you to copy the contents of the CD onto the hard disk and install from there as an earlier poster noted, if you only have 1 partition, copy into a folder to simplify it's removal later on, the installer is not picky about where it's started from.

Date: 02 May, 2004 on 16:19
Installing on PC Compatability Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: