Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.canconweb.net
since: 20 Aug, 2002
1. Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Alright, I'm installing OS/2 WSeB on my Compaq Armada E500 laptop. Everything goes great during the inital install, but once the text based install is done, and the system reboots and I'm greeted with the maintenance desktop - I get the "Selective Install" window, and then it says that the install is starting and just hangs there... forever... if I press CTL+ESC then it says the "Selective Install" is not responding and I can press 'enter' to close it.

I also REM'd out the INSTALL.EXE from the CONFIG.SYS and tried to run it manually, but that didnt help. The install LOG shows the last thing run was CBLSNIFF.EXE, so I think it may have something to do with the built in Intel Pro 10/100 NIC... but thats just a guess...

Has anyone seen this before? Or any suguestions how to get past my hung Selective Install process?

Thanks,
Adrian

Date: 20 Aug, 2002 on 20:36
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Good news is that the Armada Intel based NICs has a great working driver for OS2. So for once Compaq have made a great jobb actually. For a start I would suggest that You check the bios so that plug and play (PnP) is disabled along with other onboard hardware such as USB, IR, sound cards etc. Turn of as much as possible as you can.

Was there in strange errors during the boot of the system when executing config.sys? Try also to boot the system together with ALT+F2 so you see everyl single line during boot.

/Kim

Date: 20 Aug, 2002 on 22:53
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.canconweb.net
3. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Thanks the the ideas. I'll disable all that I can in the BIOS and try again tonight...
No strange error processing the CONFIG.SYS, and with ALT+F2 (I'm assuming thats when you can see the drivers being loaded) all the drivers load without a problem... save the Adaptec 7800(?) driver... but then again, I dont have SCSI on my laptop.
Date: 21 Aug, 2002 on 13:44
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Yes, the Alt+F2 is to be hit when you see the small white "cursor" with OS/2 directly when os2 boots up. The adaptec drivers for strange reason has always followed along on my installations as well.

Also if disabling all the features in bios doesn't help out try then disabling the CPU cache and try again. I would also suggest that you re-install from scratch when trying out above suggestions (just to make 101% sure that).

/Kim

Date: 21 Aug, 2002 on 22:35
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Alright, well, Compaq has the most phenominally useless BIOS ever created on this E500. I can not disable any USB, COM, Parallel, CPU Cache - nothing. The best I can do, is toggle USB Legacy support to enable/disable, the CPU Uniquie ID (enable/disable), Intel Speed Step technology (enable/disable), Multi Input (enable/disable), and thats about it. I dont think I've ever come across a more uesless BIOS in my life!

On a side note, the Selective Install IS working... somewhat... I left it on the screen where it was 'Installation Program Starting... please wait' while I went to sleep (11pm to 2:30am), and when I woke up, it was on the Config screen. I set the CD-Rom to the proper type, and tried to change the Video option, but no panel ever came up. So I pressed NEXT and the second screen appeared asking for the Ul;traBay support, PCMCIA support, Power Management support and such... I pressed NEXT and it asked for my Printer Driver, and Location, and then went back to the first config screen with the Video Adapter and CD-Rom selections.

I restarted the computer after about 30 mins of not getting anywhere, and the same thing happened again... the first config screen gets me to the second config screen, then the NEXT from there takes me back to the first.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh yea, and its REAAALY slow... like 2 min for any mouse click to respond.

Date: 22 Aug, 2002 on 16:09
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Hmm.. thinking thinking, well are you using IBMs own ide driver? Try to make a pair new installations diskettes using the Danis506 instead. Recall that I had a system with where the IBM drivers didn't do the proper jobb and the system was crawling slow. For some odd reason using proper IDE drivers speeded up the system so it didn't have to use the BIOS.

No extra pc-cards or anything that you can pull? Is the diskette driver interna or external? The Armada 700 was dog slow when loading OS2 installations diskettes for some reason when using the externa attached drive.

/Kim

Date: 22 Aug, 2002 on 16:17
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Original IBM install disks (I know, bad BAD RosinCore). I'll slap on the updated drivers and give 'er a go over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Date: 22 Aug, 2002 on 23:05
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Well, the DANIS506 and ATAPI drivers didnt help at all... sadly. I was hoping that they really would as the IDE Activity light stays on constant for very very very long peroids of time while the system is unresponsive.
The install is working, just very very very slowly. I think I can get it to install over the weekend if I just sit back and wait 10 to 15 minutes between mouse clicks. Then coping files is really slow as well and should burn off the other 22 hours of the day. I got so far this morning as selecting the programs I wanted to install (Fonts, Help System, Java Dev, DOS support etc...) but that took over 2.5 hours, and I had to stop because of work. However, once its installed I think it will be OK.
Cuz when I disable the INSTALL program and boot to the maintenance desktop - everything runs fast as one would expect. So I think its just something in the install process.

If you have any other ideas, I'm still open to them...

Thanks again.

Date: 23 Aug, 2002 on 19:23
Kim
Team member
in staff

9. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
yepp, it's something with the bios that the installations process doesn't like. As mentioned usually if the installations goes wierd it's a good idea to disable lots of bios features (if possible). As well disabling CPU cache etc is an old trick to get by trouble some installations. But, as mentioned on many laptops todat the bios really sucks since of that there is nothing really to disable. Would actually be nice if there had been a Expert Bios Mode or something.

Suggestion would be that that you make a Ghost image or something if you have the need to make a new installation. You would just have to re-ghost the system instead of going through the painfull installations process.

/Kim

Date: 24 Aug, 2002 on 18:08
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

10. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Ghosting, thats a great idea. I have 2 other installs of OS/2 at home, I can ghost one of them even and throw it on. OS/2 may not be too happy the first time it boots, but that might be easier than trying to get this install to go.

What can I use for Ghosting in OS/2?

Date: 26 Aug, 2002 on 14:50
Kim
Team member
in staff

11. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
last updated at 26 Aug, 2002 15:19 (3 times)
I don't know if You used Symantec Ghost software, but what you would do is that you boot up on a DOS diskette (since Ghost is DOS based)and then either store the ghost image on a server or on a 2nd partion on your harddrive. If you don't have server to use and save the ghost image against I would recommend you to make an extra logical partition on about 500 - 1000mb. 500 will do since a newly installed OS2 system only takes around 100 - 300mb depending on what version and how much you installed. Even if your partition would be 2gb there is no problem doing this since Ghost supports compression of the partition you are backing up. I've used this method on a 65gb Winpartition with a newly installed system. The Ghost image ended being around 500mb. Well, when this is done you could make a CD with the Ghost images.

Symantec Ghost cost around $70 but worth every penny of it! Click here for more information.

Another way of solving this would be using a great backup software such as PC-Bax from Cristie in UK. PC-Bax either makes backup to a server or you make it to a local VTD file (Virtual Tape Data file).For more information about PC-Bax click here .

/Kim

Date: 26 Aug, 2002 on 15:13
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Ha! Nothing like a slow reply eh... (got busy having a 2nd and 3rd child in the past 3 years).
Eventually I gave up on installing WSeB. I just went back to Warp 4 + FP15. That served me well up until about 9 months ago when I (MISTAKENLY) upgraded* to XP.
Anyways, with all the greif** I've had with XP over the past month, I'm coming home to OS/2. And coming back with a vengance.

* = Downgraded really, I can do less, it crashes more, actually have more robust drivers for Radeon 9600 PRO with the SciTech stuff etc...

** = Did you know that Search in XP only searches for/in documents that MS deems relavent? So to lessen the 'annoying search results' they will only search 4 basic file types: MS Office files, Email, Raw Text, and I cant remember the 4th. So, if you have something in a .LOG file, or .RTF, or .XXX, screw it, windows XP wont find any thing in there... which is #$% STUPID when you are trying to find functions in your .C, .cpp, .h etc files... the bastards. Oh, and dont get me going on the driver issues! Ok, if you want to, email me, I'll rant for like 42 hours straight on how stupid MS XP is.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 01:33
Selective Install Hangs after OS/2 Installed
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: