Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Warp 4 Installation Failure
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
B5
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 May, 2004
1. Warp 4 Installation Failure
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
It's been a while since I've participated in OS2 forums, nice to see they are alive and well. On to my problem...

I just purchased an AMD Athalon 64-bit machine with a Maxtor 200GB HDD, AOpen LCD display and Liteon LDW-411S DVD/CD-RW drive. The HDD is partitioned into 4 partitons: 70GB-Windows XP (Primary), 60GB/60GB/10GB logical drives.

The OS2 Warp 4 installation proceeds just fine until disk 2. A few minutes (seconds probaby) into disk 2 and I get the following on screen:

"A program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue

c0000005...."

A series of hex addresses appears (which I can attach if necessary)

I've never run into this before during previous installations on earlier machines I have owned. Does anyone know where to start troubleshooting this?

Date: 06 May, 2004 on 07:47
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure
The problem could consist in the partitioning. You are writing that you have 70G for windoze at the beginning of the disk and then you have OS/2.
I am not sure how long is OS/2 using BIOS during the installation. But it seems that the BIOS is still used when the installer tries to do something with your HD during reading diskette 2.
Note that BIOS can address no more than 8.4G of HD (LBA). Therefore, try repartitioning your HD so that the operating systems will be located in the first 8.4G of your HD. My suggestion is the following:
1. A partition for windoze, 4G will be - let us hope! - enough. Only "operating system" will be there.
2. A partition for OS/2, 2G will be more than enough. Only operating system will be there.
3. Data partition for windoze, 66G. It will contain your apps and data.
4. Data partitions for OS/2.
Naturally, you will need to patch your installation diskettes (OS/2) with drivers that can handle large disks. The original drivers on the diskettes know only LBA.
Date: 06 May, 2004 on 10:52
frumpy
Normal member
in user

since: 05 May, 2004
3. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure
are you adding from a floppy dani's driver for disks >100G during the install...there is a special procedure that includes
correctly labeling the floppy so that during the boot/install
reads the correct dani...see the appendix of the ecs manual
....frumpy
Date: 06 May, 2004 on 21:05
devnul
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Jul, 2003
4. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure
A REM in front of

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG.SYS

and

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS

should do the trick

Date: 06 May, 2004 on 21:30
B5
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure

frumpy (06 May, 2004 21:05):
are you adding from a floppy dani's driver for disks >100G during the install...there is a special procedure that includes
correctly labeling the floppy so that during the boot/install
reads the correct dani...see the appendix of the ecs manual
....frumpy

------------------------------
Let me respond to each:

For Radek: I'm not well versed enough in the vaguries of BIOS limitations to know if this could be the problem (and I am not questioning your knowledge) but I have several friends who run Windoze and Linux on >100GB drives and they have not partitioned their drives as you describe.

For Frumby: DANI? Is this the DANIxxx driver available on Hobbes or in the earlier WarpUp disks?

For Devnul: I'm certainly willing to try this. What, exactly, does REMing these statements do to the installation process? Should I update the driver on Disk 1 with the DANI driver file as seems to be suggested by Frumpy?

Date: 06 May, 2004 on 22:36
devnul
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Jul, 2003
6. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure

B5 (06 May, 2004 22:36):
[For Devnul: I'm certainly willing to try this. What, exactly, does REMing these statements do to the installation process? Should I update the driver on Disk 1 with the DANI driver file as seems to be suggested by Frumpy?

With testcfg.sys and apm.sys AMD64 doesn't work. The first is for probing configuration of some devices and is needed for selective install (so it won't work then I guess), the second for power management. About Danis506.add, I don't know, if I remember well, there had been problems with Maxtor drives of this size, but give it a try

Date: 06 May, 2004 on 23:02
B5
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Looks as though I have my weekend cut out for me. I'll report back my success or failure.
Date: 07 May, 2004 on 04:03
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
8. Re:Warp 4 Installation Failure
1. Linux perhaps. I am not an expert in Linux. But I know that Warp 3 installation manual wanted explicitely that the operating system had to be installed in the BIOS reach (in the first 1024 cylinders of the HD). That would hint that BIOS is used during installation, at least, in the beginning of it. Now, if the installer of Warp 4 wasn't upgraded significantly, then we can expect, that Warp 4 installation will behave similarly.
2. Yes, DANIxxxx drivers. They are the best ones available. Yes, you can find all of them at Hobbes.
Date: 07 May, 2004 on 09:51
Warp 4 Installation Failure
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: