Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
MBR and Start Sector
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Apr, 2004
1. MBR and Start Sector
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 19 May, 2004 22:11 (1 times)
Hi !
Ì´ve installed eCS 1.1 , Windows XP , Windows 2003 Server and Suse Linux 9.0 on one HD. I dont use the IBM Boot Manager, but instead the Bootmanger called Xosl.

Anyway eCS 1.1 doesn´t seem to install the Boot code in the start sector of the eCS partition if I don`t use the IBM Bootmager instead it overwrites the mbr with its boot code.

(This is normal, but other OS only write in the MBR which partition have to be started and not the whole boot code).

This means that if I use the bootmanager to set the eCS partition active and to boot it , that the screen will stay black.

Does anyone know how to copy or create the boot code inside the start sector of the eCS partition ?

Toby

PS:
I can`t use the IBM Bootmanager because I have already got three primary partitions .

Date: 19 May, 2004 on 22:08
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:MBR and Start Sector
I was using XOSL before moving to eCS. When I installed eCS, I couldn't get XOSL work with eCS correctly. I believe the problem is LVM. XOSL is not LVM aware. At the time I considered installing both XOSL and Bootmanager, and having XOSL call Bootmanager to start eCS. I think this would work, but, I didn't really need the extra function of XOSL, so I didn't try it.

What do you have in the primary partitions? eCS doesn't have to be installed in a primary partition, so you can get one back from this. I assume that Linux doesn't need one, and, from memory, the two Windows can installed so that they share a primary (just the loader on the primary, and the OS is on logical partitions).

David
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 02:51
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Apr, 2004
3. Re:MBR and Start Sector
last updated at 29 Oct, 2004 11:36 (3 times)
Hi !
I`m now able to use Xosl to boot eCS, the problem is just that I will have to start the pc twice :

I installed Xosl after I installed eCS, therefore the MBR get overwritten, but when xosl gets installed it makes a copy of the old mbr. Inside Xosl you are able to boot the old mbr, but the problem is that the eCS partition has to be active. This means that you will have to set the eCS partition active, reboot and then boot the old mbr. This a little bit annoying, but it still works fine .

My Hardisk :

The Partitions are :
1. Windows XP 5GB NTFS Primary
2. Windows 2003 Server 5GB NTFS Primary
3. eComStation 1.1 2GB HPFS Primary
*. EXTENDED
4. Suse Linux 9.0 10GB Linux Logically
5. Linux Swap 1GB Linux Swap Logically
6. Data # FAT 32 Logically

# = Rest of Disk Space

The Problem was that Suse Linux 9.0 doesn`t seem to like eCS inside an extended Partition. Therefore I installed eCS inside a Primary. Microsoft doesn`t support installing Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server inside one Partion ( Which I don`t really understand, because in fact Windows 2003 is really only a Windows XP with more Network Support)

Toby

Date: 20 May, 2004 on 11:25
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:MBR and Start Sector
Well, another tool you could use as boot manager is the Air-Boot that installs within the MBR as well. I haven't had any problem at all with it.
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 12:20
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
5. Re:MBR and Start Sector
Wasn't there a problem with XP and eCS bootmanager?
That is, XP won't start when the MBR is not 'exactly' the same anymore as when after it was installed?
I'm using XP inside the VPC, but I know a friend who has to use the LVM to change active partition if he wants to boot XP and he downloaded a utillitie to set the active partition from within XP if he wants to boot eCS...
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 13:33
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
6. Re:MBR and Start Sector
Well, Windows tends to overwrite of change the MBR but it depends also on what SP that has been included in the distro. But, usually it's just to re-install Air-Boot again and so far I've noticed that the settings that I had within Air-Boot hasn't been altered so no big issue. Well, it's an issue that Windows handles the MBR as it was the only OS installed... as it actually is in the most cases.
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 17:27
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
7. Re:MBR and Start Sector

Toby (20 May, 2004 11:27):
Hi !
I`m now able to use Xosl to boot eCS, the problem is just that I will have to start the pc twice :

I installed Xosl after I installed eCS, therefore the MBR get overwritten, but when xosl gets installed it makes a copy of the old mbr. Inside Xosl you are able to boot the old mbr, but the problem is that the eCS partition has to be active. This means that you will have to set the eCS partition active, reboot and then boot the old mbr. This a little bit annoying, but it still works fine .

Good to here you got it working.

The Problem was that Suse Linux 9.0 doesn`t seem to like eCS inside an extended Partition. Therefore I installed eCS inside a Primary. Microsoft doesn`t support installing Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server inside one Partion ( Which I don`t really understand, because in fact Windows 2003 is really only a Windows XP with more Network Support)

Somewhere in the XOSL group or the FAQ associated with it, there is explanation of how to install Win2000 and WinXP on the same machine but only use one primary partition. I don't remember the details, but, it mean that the loader (NTLOADR or something like that) was on the primary partition All of the actual OS files were on separate logical partitions. I would hope this still works with XP and Win2003, but, I don't know.

David
Date: 21 May, 2004 on 01:52
kiewitz
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://en.ecomstation.ru/kiewitzsoft/
since: 11 Jan, 2004
8. Re:MBR and Start Sector

Toby (19 May, 2004 22:11):
Anyway eCS 1.1 doesn´t seem to install the Boot code in the start sector of the eCS partition if I don`t use the IBM Bootmager instead it overwrites the mbr with its boot code.

Is your eComStation partition above 8GB? If that's the case, I bet your current bootmanager does not support OS/2 / eComStation. There is a special memory signature needed so that the OS uses another harddrive access method instead of the old 8GB limited one.
AiR-BOOT should handle all of your OSes just fine. (please use v1.02, it's currently on hobbes.nmsu.edu and not on my homepage, because my password expired. Will update that page in a few days).

Regards
Kiewitz

Date: 23 May, 2004 on 18:04
MBR and Start Sector
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: