Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arulthas
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 29 Jan, 2004
1. Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Good day All,

I am installing OS/2 Warp 4 in my Notebook using Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. The following is my problem. After I inserted the “Installation Diskette” the following message is prompted although the requested CD-ROM is provided: -

IBM OS/2 Warp Setup and Installation

Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM into the

CD-ROM Drive, and the press Enter

How do I proceed from here?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 18 Aug, 2004 on 03:19
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
I met a similar problem during creation of a DOS 98 SE virtual machine on an OS/2 computer. Check whether the CD is captured by the virtual machine. The "capture CD" menu item in the VPC menu should be greyed. If it is not then click the "capture CD" menu item and press Enter. The CD should be found now.
Date: 18 Aug, 2004 on 11:27
arulthas
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
last updated at 18 Aug, 2004 11:43 (1 times)

Radek (18 Aug, 2004 11:27):
I met a similar problem during creation of a DOS 98 SE virtual machine on an OS/2 computer. Check whether the CD is captured by the virtual machine. The "capture CD" menu item in the VPC menu should be greyed. If it is not then click the "capture CD" menu item and press Enter. The CD should be found now.

Radek,

In the mentioned screen I have an option to go command prompt by pressing “F3” and I able to browse the CD-ROM. Only when it is in execution mode it couldn’t locate the files. So I presume the CD-ROM is captured.

So what is next?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 18 Aug, 2004 on 11:43
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
4. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
That's weird. Well, I've never installed any virtual machines in a winblows VPC I would try the following:

a) Check BIOS of the virtual machine (after Ctrl-Alt-Del press Del) and set the boot sequence to HD-CD-Floppy
b) Try installing from the CD directly. The Warp CD is bootable and the virtual machine does not contain any special "hardware" so that the direct install without (patched) diskettes should pass. By installing from the CD, you will be sure that the CD will be found.

Date: 18 Aug, 2004 on 13:33
arulthas
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM

Radek (18 Aug, 2004 13:33):
That's weird. Well, I've never installed any virtual machines in a winblows VPC I would try the following:

a) Check BIOS of the virtual machine (after Ctrl-Alt-Del press Del) and set the boot sequence to HD-CD-Floppy
b) Try installing from the CD directly. The Warp CD is bootable and the virtual machine does not contain any special "hardware" so that the direct install without (patched) diskettes should pass. By installing from the CD, you will be sure that the CD will be found.

Ridek,

The CD-ROM that I have is not a bootable type and this is why I am using the 3 diskette approach. There is a thread in forum on how to build bootable CD-ROM but the task a bit tedious.

Kindly guide me how to select the requested folder manually or if there is other approach.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 19 Aug, 2004 on 02:19
dljone9
Premium member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
6. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
Well, I have no experience with the Windows VPC world - but in the OS/2
VPc world - sometimes you had to make a change to the CD controller. If there is a setting to make the "virtual" CD Rom drive attach to the primary
controller - try it (or put it on the secondary controller...whatever is the
opposite of your default setting). Also - make sure you have updated OS/2
installation boot diskettes - as outlined here:

http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/inst_diskettes.html#w4c

Date: 23 Aug, 2004 on 01:56
arulthas
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
Good day all,

I would like to close this issue as I already found the fault. It is due to CD-ROM and after changing to another Installation CD-ROM, everything work as expected.

Thanks for all the help.

Best regards,
Arulthas.

Date: 23 Aug, 2004 on 02:55
Insert the OS/2 Warp CD-ROM
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: