Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Power Chute Plus with new server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
1. Power Chute Plus with new server
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have APC UPS 900 installed with an old OS/2 server. It is using Power Chute Plus for os/2 4.2.1. The whole system (include the cable which connect UPS and server) work fine until I upgrade to new server.

Software configuration of the server of Power Chute Plus is the same. However, it give the error message of "No UPS found. Please check cable"

The only change is the server and I am sure the com port of new server work. Would someone please advise what are the possible reasones ?

The UPS can be recognised when it is connected back to the old server

Thanks in advance

Date: 24 Aug, 2004 on 17:57
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Are you sure that the com drivers has been loaded during boot?

/Kim

Date: 24 Aug, 2004 on 19:55
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
I will double check.

I remebered the new server passed the test of Modem Doctor 7.0

Thanks

Date: 25 Aug, 2004 on 01:23
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Hi,

if the UPS is attached to a different COM-Port than 1 or 2 make sure you have provided additional parameters for COM.SYS (if you are using com.sys)...
...because as you might know, com.sys only supports com1 and com2 if called without additional parameters.

If this is not of help to you, let us know...:
1) What is the difference between "old server" and "new server"? Is it just hardware or is it the version of OS/2 as well?
2) Are you using com.sys or sio.sys?

Good luck!
Thomas

Date: 27 Aug, 2004 on 12:40
Sam
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
The same com port is used.

1. Software level of both machines is the same; both OS/2 & Power Chute Plus. Com1 is used for both machines
2. Com.sys is used.

I checked the setting of Power Chute Plus is the same for both machines. Suspected OS/2 settings need to be adusted. Just wonder whether the following is the full list of items to be checked in OS/2
a. Config.sys
b. Com1 settings (like the one for LPT1)
c. Any where else ?

Original machine model is 7- 8 year older than the new one

Thanks again

Date: 29 Aug, 2004 on 05:37
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Sam,

this might be completely "off topic", but one never knows...:
Is the COM1 port a real "onboard" version or is there a short connector cable from the COM-port connected to a "plug" on the mainboard? In the latter case - if you assembled the machine yourself - it might just be the case that the connector types from the cable and the plug on board don't match... and thus, the COM port doesn't work.

Your mouse is a PS/2 or USB model? Otherwise (com-port mouse) check if mouse.sys is loaded prior to com.sys in your config.sys.

Finally check if the BIOS settings for the com-ports are okay (maybe set to infrared instead of serial?). Have you got any other serial devices that you could use to check if the problem is independant from the UPS...?

Again good luck!
Thomas

Date: 29 Aug, 2004 on 11:46
Sam
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Thanks again for the info.

Com port for new machine is on board and there is only one. It is an IBM server with specialized connector which combine KB, mouse and display.

BIOS settings of com is the standard value (IRQ 4, address 3F8 )

As I mentioned earlier, I would like to search for all possible way to customise the COM.

Would be much appreciate for any idea related to this.

Thank you

Date: 29 Aug, 2004 on 17:25
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

8. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server

Sam (29 Aug, 2004 17:25):
As I mentioned earlier, I would like to search for all possible way to customise the COM.

Sam,

with your configuration, there shouldn't be any need for customization, but - FWIW - here's how to specify settings for com-ports with com.sys (in your config.sys):

device=com.sys (1, 3f8, 4) (2, 2f8, 3) (3, 3e8, 4) (4, 2e8, 3)

This is to load the default settings for using all 4 standard com ports. Each set of paranthesis "()" specifies
- com port number,
- i/o-adress
- interrupt (irq)
Thus "(1, 3f8, 4)" means: Com1, I/O=3F8, IRQ=4

There isn't any other place to take care of AFAIK. In any case, you should check fro possible irq conflicts (sometimes the POST screen on startup can be of help... dunno for IBM machines - might be different).
The resource manager can help you for the ISA devices that are "resource-manager aware". For PCI devices, use the "pci sniffer" tool from hobbes (search for "pci048vk" - maybe there's a more recent version by now like "pci049vk").

If you have a chance of getting your hands on a version of SIO or SIO2K your should give it a try instead of using IBM's standard COM.SYS... however, the UPS interfaces don't require high speed rates or special stuuf - that should work with COM.SYS as well... but SIO is capable of handling resources for serial ports more "flexible"...

What does happen, if you enter "mode com1" (without the quotes) in an OS/2 command session? What is the answer from the machine?

Keeping fingers crossed
Thomas

Date: 30 Aug, 2004 on 10:13
Sam
Premium member
in user

9. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Thank you very much for the detail suggestion.

Those serial port setings were already quoted in BIOS. Anyway, I modifed config.sys to include (1, 3f8, 4). There is no effect.

I am using com.sys. Both work and not working servers are using com.sys.

Result of "mode com1" is quite supervising. "Sys0038 The system can't find the com1 device"

Just need more tests to confirm the result

Date: 01 Sep, 2004 on 17:12
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server

Sam (01 Sep, 2004 17:12):
Result of "mode com1" is quite supervising. "Sys0038 The system can't find the com1 device"

According to Ray Gwinn (author of SIO drivers) this message quite frequently rather means that the IRQ of the com port is in use by some other device.
And as you might know with OS/2, we sometimes have probhlems with IRQ sharing... so it's worth giving a try to the SIO set of drivers (www.gwinn.com) - at least for testing purposes because it has good diagnostic tools on top.

I'm mentioning this, because SIO has greater capabilities when dealing with PCI-based boards than COM.SYS... and because the only difference in your machines is that the new one is "newer"... it might be using exactly such components...

If you don't have eCS1.1 (special edition of SIO included) you might want to download a shareware version. You don't need to register it right from the start: Just check it out and see if the problems could be solved - and if so, you can still register it later or try to solve your problems otherwise...

Again, Good luck!
Thomas

Date: 03 Sep, 2004 on 09:55
Sam
Premium member
in user

11. Re:Power Chute Plus with new server
Finally, the problem was solved.

Power Chute expected directory c:\os2 should also has a copy of com.sys.

I do not quite understand the reason behind as c:\os2\boot already has a copy and there is no specification in config.sys or powerchute configuration file for this requirement.

Anyway, just want to share this strange experience with you folks.

Date: 09 Nov, 2004 on 14:37
Power Chute Plus with new server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: