Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
blwallen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Nov, 2004
1. Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I picked up a copy of Warp Server 4 on eBay. When I finished installing it and rebooted, I was presented with Warp 3 screens and the Warp 3 interface. The extensions for 'Server' appear to be there, but why does it say Warp 4 on the box and Warp 4 on the distribution CDROM? Is this really Warp 3, through and through with the server stuff added, or is it only the cosmetics that are Warp 3 vintage (assuming that there are many similarities between Warp 3 and Warp 4)?
Date: 11 Nov, 2004 on 00:18
Assover
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Nov, 2004
2. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
The codebase save for the non-server stuff is largely Warp 3 as I understand it. The base Warp 3 fix packs 35 and on at least are described as being for Warp 3 or Warp Server IIRC.

Capable as it is, Warp Server always struck me as a bit of mish mash of compents. Once you find your way around though, its a great place to be.

It is possibile to do a hack install of the server components of the software on top of Warp 4. I've also successfully managed to do this over an ECS 1.1 installation.

Look here for more info:
http://os2ports.com/dc/wsonw4/0000fm.htm#tocnotices

Date: 11 Nov, 2004 on 01:09
Stuart
Premium member
in user

since: 16 Jul, 2003
3. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

blwallen (11 Nov, 2004 00:1:
I picked up a copy of Warp Server 4 on eBay. When I finished installing it and rebooted, I was presented with Warp 3 screens and the Warp 3 interface. The extensions for 'Server' appear to be there, but why does it say Warp 4 on the box and Warp 4 on the distribution CDROM? Is this really Warp 3, through and through with the server stuff added, or is it only the cosmetics that are Warp 3 vintage (assuming that there are many similarities between Warp 3 and Warp 4)?

It doesn't say "Warp 4" on the box, it says Warp Server 4. It is indeed OS/2 Warp, with Lan Server 4. This is distinct from Lan Server, which was version 3 running on OS/2 v2.1 (or 2.11 fro SMP) Remeber that, in general, OS/2 v3 was known as "OS/2 Warp" It was only referred to as "Warp v3" when "OS/2Warp 4" was released. Hence the swathe of books released in '95 for "OS/2Warp" (eg OS/2 Warp for Dummies) which do not refer to Warp 4.

I agree that the name is confusing, and the next version dropped version numbers altogether (Warp Server for eBusiness)

Stuart

Date: 11 Nov, 2004 on 17:53
mattgert
Normal member
in user

since: 11 Nov, 2004
4. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

blwallen (11 Nov, 2004 00:1:

Warp Server 4 is Warp with LAN server components installed on top. The only noticeable interface addition over Warp "V3" is the inclusion of the Warp Sans font. Other than that it is just like Warp "V3" from a usability standpoint. Warp Server for eBusiness (Aurora) has the Warp V4 interface design and feature set including Java, Netscape, etc.

Date: 11 Nov, 2004 on 20:24
blwallen
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
I guess after the release of Warp 4, there probably wasn't a lot of support at IBM for upgrading the server GUI. At the time it was amazing to see the commercial success of Windows 95, a product that I considered nearly brain-dead, overwhelm Warp, which was in almost every way better than W95 and in many ways better than NT 3.5x.

The link at the end of Assover's post is definitely interesting, not only for those who want to blow off a weekend marrying Warp Server to Warp 4, but also for the insights it gives into the later development of the different Warp versions.

I've never seen Warp Server Advanced or Warp Server SMP, or the later variants. Do they all use the Warp 3 code base for the base OS?

I am interested in comparing how Warp Server Entry runs Domino R5 as compared to NTW4, W2k and Red Hat. Since Domino runs in console mode, which is supported by Warp and Red Hat, they may have a decided advantage in efficiency. NT/W2k has only the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt," which I assume is so stripped down that it can only run limited applications, unless there is some back door to NT command mode, without the overhead of the GUI.

Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 00:01
Stuart
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Yes, Warp Server 4 Advanced and SMP are both based on Warp 3

Stuart

Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 14:04
Stuart
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

blwallen (12 Nov, 2004 00:01):
I guess after the release of Warp 4, there probably wasn't a lot of support at IBM for upgrading the server GUI. At the time it was amazing to see the commercial success of Windows 95, a product that I considered nearly brain-dead, overwhelm Warp, which was in almost every way better than W95 and in many ways better than NT 3.5x.

Well, Warp Server for eBusiness (AKA Aurora) is based on the Warp 4 GUI

The link at the end of Assover's post is definitely interesting, not only for those who want to blow off a weekend marrying Warp Server to Warp 4, but also for the insights it gives into the later development of the different Warp versions.

I've never seen Warp Server Advanced or Warp Server SMP, or the later variants. Do they all use the Warp 3 code base for the base OS?

I am interested in comparing how Warp Server Entry runs Domino R5 as compared to NTW4, W2k and Red Hat. Since Domino runs in console mode, which is supported by Warp and Red Hat, they may have a decided advantage in efficiency. NT/W2k has only the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt," which I assume is so stripped down that it can only run limited applications, unless there is some back door to NT command mode, without the overhead of the GUI.

Would Domino 5 run on Warp? AFAIK v4.6.x is the last release for OS/2. Also, all versions of NT (4, 2k, XP) have a command prompt (CMD.exe), and whilst you cannot turn off the GUI as you can in Linux (AIUI), neither can you in Warp. The shell gets loaded during a normal boot.

Stuart

Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 18:26
blwallen
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Stuart, I've been chasing a Domino R5 bundle that is supposed to include a version for OS/2. It is called something like Global Multiplatform Edition, with a Lotus stock number of AH7QNA, and includes versions for HP-UX, Red Hat 6.x, AIX, NT4, Solaris and Warp. I actually bought one of these on eBay, but only the bonus CDs were left in the box--the Domino disk had been kept as it passed through someone's hands. The seller new nothing about Notes/Domino and refunded my money. I would have preferred to have the Domino disk.

Would it be possible to boot Warp to a command prompt from the installation floppies and bail out of the install with F3 and have a fully functioning version of a command line Warp without starting the GUI processes? I assume that what you were referring to is the cmd prompt reached from the Alt/F1 menu.

Brian Wallen

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 10:34
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
9. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

blwallen (13 Nov, 2004 10:34):
Would it be possible to boot Warp to a command prompt from the installation floppies and bail out of the install with F3 and have a fully functioning version of a command line Warp without starting the GUI processes? I assume that what you were referring to is the cmd prompt reached from the Alt/F1 menu.

Brian Wallen

Hey Brian,

If you want OS/2 to boot to the command line, just edit your CONFIG.SYS. Look for the line with PMSHELL. That will start WPS and all the overhead. You can allow OS/2 to go to command line (just like the funky ATMs out there). HArd drives are cheap, so not installing the GUI isn't worth the hassle or engineering.

James Cannon

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 16:37
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
10. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
last updated at 13 Nov, 2004 17:12 (1 times)

Stuart, I've been chasing a Domino R5 bundle that is supposed to include a version for OS/2. It is called something like Global Multiplatform Edition, with a Lotus stock number of AH7QNA, and includes versions for HP-UX, Red Hat 6.x, AIX, NT4, Solaris and Warp. I actually bought one of these on eBay, but only the

Brian, are you talking about Notes bundle that was supposed to come along with WSFeB? I can honestly not recall that there has been any kind of Domino R5 together with WSFeB, at least not in the Scandinavian region. So might differ from USA. I have an installation of 5.0.1a code, but was never a part of WSFeB.

/Kim

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 17:09
blwallen
Normal member
in user

11. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

Kim (13 Nov, 2004 17:12):

Stuart, I've been chasing a Domino R5 bundle that is supposed to include a version for OS/2. It is called something like Global Multiplatform Edition, with a Lotus stock number of AH7QNA, and includes versions for HP-UX, Red Hat 6.x, AIX, NT4, Solaris and Warp. I actually bought one of these on eBay, but only the

Brian, are you talking about Notes bundle that was supposed to come along with WSFeB? I can honestly not recall that there has been any kind of Domino R5 together with WSFeB, at least not in the Scandinavian region. So might differ from USA. I have an installation of 5.0.1a code, but was never a part of WSFeB.

/Kim

Kim, I am not familiar with the "WSFeB" term. Here is a very unsatisfying IBM link:
http://www.ibm.com/search?lv=c&o=30&q=ServerGuide+os%2F2&v=14&lang=en&cc=us&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Search
that establishes Domino R5 for OS/2, though the links resolve to non-OS/2 pages advertising Domino 6.x for W2k and NT. I can only go on what I saw on the box I had, which said it was a Global distribution and listed the platforms it supported.

From what I've seen on IBM Web sites, they are doing every thing they can to bury OS/2 and Lotus products for OS/2 without totally alienating what is probably a significant installed base of OS/2 users whose revenues IBM doesn't want to lose.

Brian

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 21:08
blwallen
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
In re:
--------------------------
Hey Brian,

If you want OS/2 to boot to the command line, just edit your CONFIG.SYS. Look for the line with PMSHELL. That will start WPS and all the overhead. You can allow OS/2 to go to command line (just like the funky ATMs out there). HArd drives are cheap, so not installing the GUI isn't worth the hassle or engineering.

James Cannon
------------------------

James, I wasn't thinking so much about the harddisk usage as processor and memory usage, but maybe if you are not using the GUI, its processes get shoved into the background and don't use many processor or memory resources. But then to following your reasoning, processors and memory are cheap also and conform to the lastest hardware standards. Harddisk usage would be an issue if memory requirements exceeded installed memory and you had to swap out memory to the HD to switch processes.

A counter argument: I recently discovered how cheap used IBM servers are on eBay. I've bought dual processor 700-800MHz P3s with 1GB of PC133 memory and five 18MB SCSIs driven by a RAID controller for less than $300 with shipping. And these machines seem to built to run forever. This is dated technology, but by adding a $50 PCI video card, I am seeing very respectable performance on general workstation tasks and, as is, they make adequate servers for small to medium sized workgroups. That does cause me to be cautious about being casual with processor and memory use. One of the reasons that Linux has been so successful is that developers custom compile it so it does just what they need it to do without carrying a lot of excess baggage.

I don't have any technical background in multitasking architectures--just watching a resource monitor keep reporting usage as shadowy tasks start.

Brian

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 21:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
13. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)

blwallen (13 Nov, 2004 21:0:
From what I've seen on IBM Web sites, they are doing every thing they can to bury OS/2 and Lotus products for OS/2 without totally alienating what is probably a significant installed base of OS/2 users whose revenues IBM doesn't want to lose.
Brian

Sadly, yes it's true that IBM does not much or to be honest nothing regarding OS2 and have no plans for it. I've been running a R5 installation on a system with a Celeron 800MHz and 255MB RAM and it runs really well. If you compare with a Windows system, the OS2 system doesn't eat the same amount of memory as the Windows system does. I mean a Win 2000/2003 system eats around 96 - 160 MB depending on how it configed just to start up...

Oh, and check your private mesages within this forum as well.

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 22:35
blwallen
Normal member
in user

14. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Memory hoggishness:

Not to mention the 21MB of memory my AV package uses just to protect W2k's soft underbelly...

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 23:26
blwallen
Normal member
in user

15. Re:Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Assover, you mentioned that you had installed the server parts of Warp Server 4 over eCS. Did you pretty much follow the instructions for installing server parts over Warp 4 as outlined in the site you linked?

Any surprises?

Brian Wallen

Date: 30 Nov, 2004 on 12:20
Warp Server 4 (sic?)
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: