Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
blwallen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Nov, 2004
1. Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
There was a time when I knew ways of dealing with this, but memory and a review of older tech bulletins and Warp UG fail me.

Problem: After phase 1 of install, when system reboots, I get a "Boot disk failure" message from BIOS.

Processor: Athlon 900
Memory: 256MB
HD: 1: 2GB; 2 18GB, 3 18GB all SCSI
HDC: Adaptec AHA 2940, SCSI BIOS v. 1.32S8
BIOS: Award 6.00PGN

SCSI BIOS Diags are passed by all drives. SCSI BIOS correctly identifies drives in diag mode and in boot mode, but there is a boot msg, "SCSI BIOS not loaded" after drive ID. I also see this message on my Netfinity servers with ServeRAID cards and with MBs that have an integrated Adaptec chip and they work fine with Red Hat, Xandros, and W2k.

Have completed the first phase of install; told to remove floppy and reboot.

On reboot, BIOS msg: "Boot disk failure.

Booting to a cmd prompt from the floppies, I can run FDISK and see what appears to be a correct volume configuration:

DRIVE 1

Startable Boot Manager 1MB
HPFSSYS Bootable C: Primary HPFS 1GB
Free space 1GB

There are about 8 directories set up on C: These look like appropriate directories, but I haven't checked them against a documented list of the correct directories at this stage of the install. So it successfully loaded the right CDROM driver and drivers for the Adaptec card, partitioned and formatted Drive 1 and wrote a large amount of data to it in phase 1.

Brian Wallen

Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 21:07
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Well, as far I can figure the installation so far is okey and the main problem is that the scsi bios isn't loaded and this has nothing to do with OS2. But, is there any kind of other adapter, scsi or ide, active in the system? Since this could be the cause why it's not booting. If there isn't I'm kind of short of ideas. USB units? Also check the system bios for the boot order as well. Might be that it's not set to boot from external adapters.
Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 21:32
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
3. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Umm, I am sure you already did this ...

-update install disks?

-Boot to command prompt with install disks and ensure SCSI drivers are on boot disk and included in CONFIG.SYS?

Date: 12 Nov, 2004 on 22:53
blwallen
Normal member
in user

4. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Adaptec SCSI BIOS not loaded:
I would have suspected this also, except that on Netfinity 5000 and 5100 servers that have an onboard Adaptec circuit and IBM ServerRAID cards, I see the same message. Now the machine in question is not an IBM server and has only the Adaptec host adapter (no RAID card), plus the IDE circuits on the motherboard. I've turned off the primary IDE circuits and am using only the secondary circuit to support the ATAPI CDROM drive. The first page of the BIOS settings show "None" for primary master and slave. The motherboard has the normal complement of ports, including USB 1.x. I'll try making sure that as many of these are turned off as possible. I've already disabled all caching and shadowing and power management. The only other PCI adapters are the video card and an Ethernet card.

Also, would install have gotten as far as writing all of those directories and files on the 2GB SCSI drive, if there were a driver problem? I intentionally used this small SCSI drive as the system volume to avoid large HD issues. Until it got to the reboot step there wasn't a hiccup.

Updated install disks:
I am still trying to get a solid fix on large hard disk support. At one time I thought that Warp only supported HDs to 4GB. Then I found a tech document on IBMs site that included error messages for HDs above 8GB and 30GB. I've installed this copy of Warp Server on my "practice" machine that has a 10GB IDE drive. It wouldn't install on a Thinkpad with a 5GB drive. FDisk saw only a small fraction of the HD. I tried two downloaded disks that were supposed to replace two of the three diskettes for Warp 4 installation; the instructions for Warp 3 (and therefore Warp Server) were so murky that I couldn't follow them. So if you have a suggestion for getting updated install diskettes you might resolve an otherwise futile search.

If I ever understand these problems sufficiently well, I'll write a how-to for doing Warp installs on newer hardware.

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 11:06
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
5. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Ok, based on what you write it can only be the boot other isnät correct. If you have flashed the bios or reseted it, usually it's the IDE channels that are set to boot from. So I would advice you to check the bios once again. What bios is used on the system, Award, Phoenix, etc.? You're able to access the drives and write to them, updating the diskettes with the latest IDE drivers doesn't make any idea since you're using ... scsi.
Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 13:00
blwallen
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Is the HD size limitation likely to be different between HD standards, for example, that the 4GB limitation only applied to IDE drives, or is this more likely to have applied also to SCSI drives? Although that wouldn't explain how I was able to install Warp Server 4, au naturel, to a 10GB IDE drive.

I will go over the whole configuration on the problem machine later this weekend and see if any of the suggestions guide me to the problem.

Thanks.
Brian

Date: 13 Nov, 2004 on 23:33
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
7. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Hi,

There are a few items I'd look for. First, since you're able to access your hard disk when you boot from floppy, I'm guessing that the SCSI driver on the floppy is the correct one for the system. Copy that driver over to your C: drive. In my experience sometimes Warp 3's install doesn't always properly copy the drivers from the floppies over, even if it has the SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 in the config.sys.

Second, make sure that SCSI driver is properly loaded up in the config.sys on drive C:. I'm sure you've already checked this, but its worth mentioning.

The third item. I've done Warp 3 installs where at the end of Phase 1 the installer did not properly set the hard drive to boot. The answer was to boot to a command prompt after Phase 1 and run:

sysinstx c:

The sysinstx command is similar to the old DOS SYS C: command. It sets a few things on the HD and copies over a few items. I'm not sure about Warp Server 4 - but on Warp 3 the sysinstx.exe file can be found on Disk 1 of the installation disks. Since Warp Server is based on Warp 3, this should be similar.

On some of the newer versions of the installer (sysinst2.exe) this problem was fixed. But on the earlier versions of Warp 3 that I've installed over the years, they almost all needed to have this command manually run after Phase 1 of the install.

Hope this helps

Date: 17 Nov, 2004 on 22:36
blwallen
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Fahrvenugen. thank you, thank you, and again thank you.

I've been rummaging through manuals and old tech notes looking for the sysinstx command and couldn't find it. For commercial reasons, I had to switch from Warp 4 to NTW/4 in about 1997 and haven't done much with Warp since, but have recently been looking at upgraded versions of it. I remembered there was a OS/2 command like the DOS SYS cmd and thought that might be a good strategy.

I'll look at the CONFIG.SYS to see about the drivers. Actually, this is my first experience with OS/2 and SCSI, so I need to hone my knowledge about it.

Brian Wallen

Date: 17 Nov, 2004 on 23:41
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
9. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Brian,

No problem, I hope the sysinstx works for you. In my opinion IBM never did a good job of documenting the command, but it has saved quite a few installs I've done in the past.

If your install still won't boot, I'm thinking the problem might be that your copy of Warp Server is just too out of date for the system you're using. This does not mean that you can't make it work. I've managed to successfully get Warp 3 running on some of the latest hardware, it just takes a bit of messing around. Usually the biggest issues are device drivers recognizing newer hard drives. For IDE, the Danis506.add driver has fixed just about all the problems that IBM1s506 had. For SCSI, it is a matter of finding a driver which works with your card and drive and using that one.

One option if you can find a working copy of Warp is to use UpdCD to create a refreshed installation CD. Updcd is software that will take your current Warp CD, merge it with the latest Fixpaks from IBM (both base FP - in this case 43 - and Device Driver - in this case DD2) - and create a refreshed installation that you can burn to CD. It also makes the CD bootable, eliminating the need for boot floppies. You can find Updcd at:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

Hope this helps!

Date: 18 Nov, 2004 on 01:29
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
10. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Hi,

I might be be bit late but I didn't check for postings earlier sorry.
If everything is up and running yet, feel free to ignore all of the following - just a few basic tips for the SCSI controller:

- enter the SCS BIOS utility
- make sure to set "include device in BIOS SCAN" to "ON" or "BIOS support" to "ON" - according to what it's named - for the HDD.
- if possible, use SCSI IDs 0 (zero) or 1 (one) for the boot HDD
- if available, use "INT13h extensions" from the SCSI BIOS

This should make the SCSI BIOS be loaded. Except if you have some setting set to explicitly NOT use it.
If you have no IDE devices attached, its always a good idea to disable the (mainboard) on-board controllers - thus freeing up IRQs.
Then, check to see if the mainboard BIOS boot device sequence (~priority) is set to "SCSI first".

AFAIK, the "older" AHAs were able to BIOS-support HDDs only if their SCSI IDs are 0 or 1. All other devices are only supported by the driver (AIC7800.ADD or so) and thus, if the HDDs are not BIOS-supported and the driver is on the HDD, you won't have access of course...

Some Controllers are also picky about the Interrupt assigned to the board by the machine BIOS - however, I can't tell if this applies to your model: Preferrably use an interrupt (if possible to assign them manually according to your machine's BIOS) which relies to INT#A... however, this should be necessary to check for really nasty problems only - actually there's no need to check for this.

Let us know how far you get.
If ever you experience problems in further bootup (traps), check if this is related to the SCSI CD-ROM drives (if you have such). Use JJSCDROM.DMD instead of OS2DROM.DMD then.

Keeping fingers crossed... and good luck!
Thomas

Date: 18 Nov, 2004 on 13:37
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

11. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
last updated at 18 Nov, 2004 20:07 (1 times)
I think checking the BIOS for boot device may help. If the BIOS doesn't assign SCSI as 1st boot option that may be a problem. SCSI IDs on drive should be unique to each other, and be sure one is set to be a bootable SCSI ID as mentioned in an earlier post. Also, type the error message into Google and see what comes up. Maybe further refine the search with "OS/2". I had a problem with a HP NetRAID (Mylex DAC960) where one channel didn't recognize certain SCSI IDs. I think it was a bad channel, but can't remember ... blame it on eBay. I've run Warp 3 on an Adpatec EISA SCSI host on a 486, with a 2GB drive and recall it was a smooth install (Had to put drivers on boot disk).

I noticed the number of drives listed in initial post. Remove all but the 2GB target for install. Can you reduce the system RAM? Or, is it one fat 256MB stick? The last one may be streching it. Good luck.

Date: 18 Nov, 2004 on 20:04
blwallen
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get this to work. Since I have been successful in getting this version of Warp Server installed on a machine of a similar vintage, I've been stubbornly experimenting with options. I've noted my progress or lack of it on an HTML form that I use when working with tech support departments. Here is a link to that document:
http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/Systems/Trouble/W3InstPh1Boot1.htm

I'd be grateful for any insights, if you have the time and interest to go through the information on this document.

Brian Wallen

Date: 24 Nov, 2004 on 09:21
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

13. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
last updated at 24 Nov, 2004 20:32 (2 times)
Hey Brian,

That web page is pretty high speed. I need to do something like that myself. One thing I do with an EIDE CD-ROM and SCSI hard drive system ... put the EIDE CD-ROM on primary as Master. Disable Secondary (which you've probably done). I'll need to scroll through your data ... with a quick look, it appears fine. BIOS boot order should be CD-ROM, SCSI, floppy. Once system is installed, set it for SCSI only. THis may not matter, it is what I do as a matter of habit. Thank you for putting all system info online.

SCSI Device Configuration Page:

Initiate Sync Negotiation Yes for all devices
Max Sync Transfer Rate 20.0 for all devices
Enable Disconnection Yes for all devices
Initiate Wide Negotiation Yes for all devices

**Send Start Unit Cmd No for all devices **
BIOS Multiple LUN support No for all devices
Include in BIOS Scan Yes for all devices

Send Start Unit Cmd should be YES (Drives need to spool up).

Can you install another OS on the system? That would help determine if the problem is OS/2 specific.

Date: 24 Nov, 2004 on 20:23
blwallen
Normal member
in user

14. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
last updated at 24 Nov, 2004 23:07 (1 times)
The trace Web page does several things for me:
  • it gives me a way to structure test activities, particularly when there are many issues or combinations to try.

• It allows me to extend my explanation on forums with carefully formatted Web pages, something that is difficult to do with even the best forum software

• from working with and designing help desk procedures over the years, I noticed that the biggest problems staff had was not being able to see what the client saw.

• It leaves tracks, so if the problem occurs again six months later, the only record is not just the one in my foggy memory.

Lotus Notes is an excellent tool for maintaining this kind of problem tracking. The Notes client preserves a high proportion of formatting of text from other applications when using copy/paste and uses the clipboard very effectively in loading screen grab graphics into Notes documents. For Notes users with access to a Domino server connected to the Internet, all Notes documents can be served as HTML pages through Domino's conversion. The Notes client, and increasingly the Web client, have markup capability similar to that of HTML. Notes also provides organizing 'views' for documents and excellent search tools. <end of Lotus promo>

The Recalcitrant Warp Server

-Changed the SCSI Start Unit parameter to Enable
-Swapped primary/secondary IDE channels for the CDROM. Ch 0 now enabled; Ch 1 disabled.
-Also found 2 pieces of 32MB memory, so now running with 64MB.
- I haven't had any OS running on this particular configuration. Once I give up on this install of Warp Server, I can try installing something else.
- I checked the Adaptec knowledgebase about the 'SCSI BIOS not loaded' msg. It isn't an error msg, just a note that the SCSI BIOS is not loaded into memory and all device control will be done through the driver.

No improvement.

Brian Wallen )--grrr!

Date: 24 Nov, 2004 on 22:28
blwallen
Normal member
in user

15. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
It occurred to me that I had had W2k installed on the sys volume in this machine, and Microsoft believe they own my HD and can have their way with the MBR by writing "signatures" on it. I have had problems in the past installing non-MS OSs on drives that had previously had NT/W2k installed.

My recollection of the fix is to boot DOS and run FDISK /mbr. I tried that here with a floppy created with W98. I attempted to start w98 "with CDROM support," but the Oak driver--MSCD001--found no ATAPI drives. Then the AIC78xx/AIC75xx ASPI driver(s) appeared to load successfully. The driver name is ASPI8DOS.

This message was displayed:

"Windows 98 has detected that drive C: does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition."

W98 creates a RAMDisk as C:

My attempts to change the path to D: failed with "Invalid drive spec" and FDISK reported "No fixed disks present."

To run FDISK /mbr, I have to access the HD. It appears that W98 loads ASPI drivers that should make the physical volume visible, but can't. These seem to be similar if not the same drivers that are used in ROM diagnostics on my IBM servers. Are these not the right DOS drivers for the AIC 2940 (78xx)? I have had no experience with SCSI and DOS.

Brian Wallen

Date: 25 Nov, 2004 on 07:21
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

16. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
FDISK /MBR is always good to use on recycled drives. I am thinking that the way the OS looks at the disk may be funny.

Advanced Configuration Options Page

**Extended BIOS Translation for DOS Drives > 1GB Enabled**

This must be similiar to LBA.
**BIOS Support for Bootable CDROM Enabled**

Not needed, unless you boot from a SCSI CD-ROM
--
Is this disk visible and able to be formatted in another SCSI adapter? I do believe the problem is the SCSI adapter's configuration. Be sure to check cable. Is pin 1 aligned with the red strip? I noticed you have termination enabled, that is good. Have you downloaded a manual to your card? Maybe a PDF is available from Adaptec. I do believe your system and OS is sound. It is just a configuration issue.

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
is an error message from your BIOS. It can't find the SCSI item to boot in your BIOS boot order.

Date: 25 Nov, 2004 on 08:31
blwallen
Normal member
in user

17. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Cyberspittle, I was just thinking of what other swap-ins I hadn't tried, and it happens that I have an identical SCSI controller to the one in this box.

I did the swap, insured that the settings from SCSI Select were as our model developed. Alas, no cigar.

I will let this rest over our Thanksgiving holiday. Maybe food and good company will refresh my adled brain and I will have some miraculous insight on Friday. If that doesn't happen, I can try Warp 4 or my new copy of ECS.

Thanks.
Brian

Date: 25 Nov, 2004 on 10:45
blwallen
Normal member
in user

18. Re:Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
The saga continues...

Thanksgiving brought good food and good company, but no revelations of an OS sort.

I did try to install Warp 4 on this machine, using the WARP4UI replacement disks for Disks 1/2, though I suspect these only address HD size for IDE disks.

Same thing happened. Phase 1 completes, Phase 2 tries to boot from the HD and can't find its arse with both hands. If I boot from the floppies and opt out to a command prompt, OS/2 FDISK sees Boot Manager, the C: bootable partition and the HPFS data partition. If I boot with a W98 floppy, loading ASPI8DOS, the theoretically correct driver for DOS/Adaptec AHA-2940, the partitions are invisible--the physical drive is invisible to DOS FDISK. Beyond this, Partition Magic 5, sensitive to OS/2, sees a physical volume, but no partitions.

This is starting to seriously bug me.

Date: 30 Nov, 2004 on 05:27
Boot failure after phase 1 of install - Warp Server 4
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: