Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Francesco
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Nov, 2004
1. eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have just installed my new eCS 1.2.
The installer selected the SNAP video driver for my IBM ThinkCentre PC with Intel Extrem display adapter.
Using SNAP drivers, if I select 800*600 resolution I can select only 256 colors depth.
Unfortunately the SVISTA Virual Machine requires 65k colors. (I received today my SVISTA VM from mensys).

What can I do?

Date: 19 Nov, 2004 on 19:14
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
last updated at 19 Nov, 2004 19:32 (1 times)
I would recommend going with the VBE (VESA BIOS Extension) driver instead of the one Scitech SNAP identified for your system. My VIA EPIA-M had a similiar resolution problem. What is happening, is that SciTech SNAP gets the manufacturer info from the chipset, however the driver may not be appropriate, hence the lack of fine tuning your display with a different resolution.

What you want to do, is have SciTech SNAP use the VBE mode (VESA BIOS Extension). This is unaccelerated, but you'll be surprised how snappy (no pun intended) it is. For tech help on SciTech, go to their website and post in their newsgroups. They are responsive and quick too!

Date: 19 Nov, 2004 on 19:31
Francesco
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Nov, 2004
3. Re:eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
thanks a lot cyber but.... I don't use OS/2 very frequently.

How can I set the Scitech driver to use VESA BIOS?

Date: 19 Nov, 2004 on 19:52
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
4. Re:eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
To get VBE support when installing, need to select "GEN", and not "SDD".

Have you been to the Scitech website? www.scitechsoft.com ... look for support, then look for OS/2 newsgroups! You then can scroll through the posts for VBE, or post your questions.

Date: 20 Nov, 2004 on 22:32
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
5. Re:eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
VESA is a drastical downgrade of your video card. Check first, which mode SNAP uses (it is displayed on the front page of the "Screen notebook").

If it says "VESA VBE 3.0" or something like that then SNAP cannot operate your video card and uses a standard tool (VESA) for it. In this case, the 256 colors can be imposed by the VESA abilities of your video card.
If it identifies your video card correctly then you should consult Scitechsoft because something is wrong with their driver. The driver should offer more colors and more colors should be also displayed.

In case of VESA, download the "real SNAP" and check whether it will work. Keep in mind that the SNAP, which you have got free of charge with your eCS, is a restricted version, which does not support all cards supported by the real SNAP and which does not support all abilities of the video cards. Moreover, the "free SNAP" on your CDs can be old.
The real SNAP "demo" (which you will download) is a fully functional full version, which will run for 21 days. During this period, you will need to decide, whether you want to buy it or whether you uninstall it.
If the real SNAP won't work either, then you are out of luck currently. But don't lose hope. Some further version of SNAP can be familiar with your video card. This happened to me with my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 8x as well

Date: 22 Nov, 2004 on 15:50
eCS 1.2 - Why only 256 colors?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: