Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Marmot
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Dec, 2004
1. Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Recently, I dusted off my copy of OS/2 Warp 4, and decided to give it a shot on a Compaq Armada m300.

Unfortunately, when I boot off the first installation floppy, the process dies right away with a SYS02025 / SYS02027 error. Thinking that I had a bad floppy, I made a replacement from the disk image on the CD. That had the same result as the original floppy.

To be sure, I tested the installation boot floppy on another system (running Win2k) and the installation kicked off without a hitch. To the dismay of the Win2k box though, I did not actually install OS/2 on it--that's my wife's primary machine.

I have run a BIOS update on the laptop, to no avail. The floppy drive seems OK, since it was able to run the BIOS update. However, I'm wondering if the floppy drive or machine is simply unable to boot from the floppy because it can't handle disks formatted for more than 1.44 megs?

If so, are there other workable ways to install OS/2 if I can't boot from floppy? Can I make a bootable version of the OS/2 install CD? Are there other ways to do a floppy-less install?

Date: 19 Dec, 2004 on 19:15
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Are you using the updated installation diskettes?

How big is the hard drive? When I installed Warp ver on a 20 gig hard drive, I had to partitioin c: with 2 gig and d: with 17 gig. It would not install on a 20 gig hard drive.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Date: 20 Dec, 2004 on 03:13
Marmot
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
The laptop has a 6 Gig hard disk. I know there are updated installation disks (1 and 2) but I don't even get that far in the installation.

I get the SYS02025 / SYS02027 errors on the bootable install floppy (Installation), well before the process even gets to the next disk. In fact, I don't even get as far as the OS/2 message that should appear in the top left corner of the screen. The SYS02025 error happens practically on boot. It's as though the laptop can't find OS2LDR on the floppy, presumably because it doesn't like the high density disk format.

I've taken the same boot floppy to a desktop machine at home with a 160 gig hard disk and everything seemed to work fine. Rather than disturb my wife's Win2K box, I stopped at the point where it asked for Disk 1--already much further than you get on the laptop. So, it appears to be a laptop-specific problem.

Is there a different 'Installation' disk that might work better for me?

I *did* find a set of instructions for building a bootable Warp 4 installation CD, at:

http://www.os2usr.org/w4bootcd.html

I'm going to give this a shot and see if it does the trick.

Thanks for your response.

Date: 20 Dec, 2004 on 07:36
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Does the Armada m300 have internal diskette drive or does it use external USB? I ealrier when I installed on an Armada I had the same problem so I was forced to install from CD, but that worked out.
Date: 20 Dec, 2004 on 13:36
Marmot
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
The Armada m300 has an internal floppy, but it is actually built into the docking station along with the CDROM, rather than the laptop itself.
Date: 20 Dec, 2004 on 15:26
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
6. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Hmm.. ok, docking station isn't always the easy thing to get to install from; even on ThinkPads using docking station gives some headache sometimes. You wouldn't have a direct url to technical page for the Armada m300?
Date: 21 Dec, 2004 on 09:38
Marmot
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Sadly, I have no technical info page on the Armada m300. Basically, it's a Compaq/HP orphan, I think dating back to 1998 / 1999. It's a PII, 266, with a 6 gig hard disk and 128 megs of RAM. It's a nifty slim-line machine, with the floppy drive and CD ROM in the docking station. It's no speed demon, but it's nice and portable.

Alas, Compaq doesn't exactly provide much help, especially when it comes to OS/2. The available OS/2 downloads for that machine basically include a BIOS upgrade and hard disk firmware updates. In other words, nothing. Google provides no useful search results either.

I realize the docking station may be a complicating factor. If so, that might also prevent a bootable CD installation, meaning my only option would be to figure out a way of doing a network install--that, or transplant the hard disk temporarily into a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter and do a plain-vanilla install with a desktop machine. Alas, I'm not sure how heroic I want to get here.

Incidentally, I'm currently running Debian 3.0 on that machine. During the install on that machine, the docking station was a non-issue. I don't remember the Linux kernel loading any special modules for the docking station--to me, that's a hopeful sign. I'll take another look at the 'dmesg' output to be sure.

I'm really hopeful about the bootable install CD--I am mere hours from boarding a plane for a vacation, so I won't be able to do much about that until I get back. But it will be among the first things I'll try.

Date: 21 Dec, 2004 on 10:27
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Well, some ought to be found about the system; regarding Warp 4 - you could also give it a try and make a network installation. But, this is based on that you have another system already installed with OS2 Warp 4... so guess that was a stupid idea

Sounds like that at least the kernal is loaded, or? If you boot the system with ALT+F2 - pressing the keys directly when the system shows OS2 in the uper left corner. You should be able to see what it crashes on.

Date: 21 Dec, 2004 on 17:07
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
9. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
last updated at 22 Dec, 2004 19:34 (1 times)
Maybe try this ...

1. Remove hard drive from COMPAQ Armada and swap it into your wife's PC.
2. Install OS/2 into your wife's PC.
3. Remove hard drive from wife's PC, and return it to your COMPAQ.
4. Boot COMPAQ and configure OS/2.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 as needed.
6. Apply FIXPAKS as needed.
7. Be sure your wife's PC still works, or buy her a new one.
8. Have fun.

*You will need an adapter to use the notebook hard drive in a PC. Check out some mini-ITX sites.

Date: 21 Dec, 2004 on 19:44
Siggi
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Dec, 2002
10. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
I've Compaq Armada Notebook (similar oldness).
There is a Bios setting like quick boot (or similar).
Switch this to "normal booting".
The quick boot aasumes a Windows boot environment.

good luck

Date: 22 Dec, 2004 on 10:13
Marmot
Normal member
in user

11. Re:Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I'm pleasantly surprised to see this level of interest in OS/2.

From what I've read, the SYS02025 message means 'disk read or boot sector error'. It happens within a split second of the floppy disk light coming on, so I'm pretty sure the OS/2 kernel isn't actually loading.

I checked the BIOS setting for 'Quick boot' and found that it was already disabled. There's another setting--multiboot, which was disabled. Not knowing what it did, I brazenly turned it on anyway. (I'm on vacation with the laptop, but did not bring the OS/2 disks with me). So far, it's made no difference in the machine's bootup, but I won't be able to attempt an OS/2 install until next week.

The most promising method seems to be building a bootable install CD. The instructions I've found are fairly straightforward. Hopefully that does the trick--swapping hard disks around would probably work fine, but I would need to get a 40 - 44 pin IDE converter, and commandeer my wife's system for an evening. On the other hand, if I accidentally screw up her machine, I think she'd be more than happy if I bought her a new one

Thanks again for your help guys...I'll keep you posted.

Date: 23 Dec, 2004 on 05:23
Compaq Armada m300 install problem - SYS02025. Floppyless install possible?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: