Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
How to secure the desktop environment
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
schooner
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 01 Mar, 2005
1. How to secure the desktop environment
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi Folks - first posting as a new member and I'm hoping you can help me!
I want to block access to the desktop from all users except superuser for everything except 1 application. This 1 application will be password protected also.
Ideally, only the superuser should be able to bring up an os2 window, dos window etc.
All input welcome...
Thanks.
Date: 01 Mar, 2005 on 10:50
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:How to secure the desktop environment
Hi Schooner,

as far as I know, this can (only?) be achieved with the security/2 software. Maybe some other tools exist, I don't know. And I can't tell how good securiy/2 is in that matters as I've never used it up to now. Anyway, see here:

http://os2.kiev.ua/en/sses.php

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 12:02
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
3. Re:How to secure the desktop environment
A way to do this is by changing the "PROTSHELL" or "SET WORKPLACE" statement in the config.sys. By default, both of these are set to "PMSHELL.EXE". A way to achieve part of what you want, you can leave the first alone, and change the second to the application you are running. This will then start the application instead of the desktop. As an experiment, I remember changing this to PMMAIL.EXE so that PMMail was started. (For others, a more interesting use it to change this to CMD.EXE. This will then open a command-line window, from which OS/2 program can be started, including the desktop.)

To handle the superuser is a bit more difficult. You could write a small wrapper application that gets the user to login, and depending on who logs on, either starts the your application or gives a choice.

---
David

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 02:14
Cris
Premium member
in user

since: 20 Nov, 2003
4. Re:How to secure the desktop environment
Hi schooner, davidfor.
Davidfor: what you suggest is already available as a program called MultiDesk, written by me.
It has not been maintained lately due to my lack of time, but it's still very useful.
The only real problem is that it is not updated for ecomstation, so when creating new desktops it creates an OS/2 Warp standard desktop instead of an eCS desktop.
BTW, if schooner only wants to have the default desktop for the superuser, and a different shell (i.e. NO WPS) for the other user(s), then there is no problem.

You can find it here:
http://www.quasarbbs.net/cristiano/md-0-2-0.wpi

I reccomend downloading and applying the latest update, since it adds a lot of features and security:
http://www.quasarbbs.net/cristiano/md020up3.zip

PLASE read the docs for the update very carefully, because it changes the way of working with some of the features of MultiDesk.

If you have doubts, feel free to write me anytime (criguada _at_ libero .dot. it).

I've been wanting to update MultiDesk for a long time. I'd like to update the desktop creation so it creates eCS desktops, and I'd like to integrate Security/2.
I've worked on this, but my chronical lack of time stops me from finishing the work. Maybe I'll be able to finish it this time, who knows?

Thankyou!
Bye

Cris

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 09:46
How to secure the desktop environment
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: