Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
FDISK Unsucessful
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
zizban
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 24 Feb, 2005
1. FDISK Unsucessful
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am having trouble installing Warp4. I have updated the drivers on the boot floppies for my large (40 gig) HD and booted. I am getting this error:

Install os/2 Warp 4
Model=fc
Submodel=1
Non=ABIOS machine
Bus Architecture: 101
Disk Type: 101
\OS2IMAGE_001
Response file interface not being used
Fullpack Installation
FDISK Unsucessful
FDISK Unsucessful

I searched google and it seems this error can be caused by not partitioning the drive but how I am I supposed to partition the drive without fdisk?

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 00:09
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
What's happening exactly? Does the installation start at all? Therefore:

1. Has the "installation diskette" been read and have you seen the "blue screen" with the text logo?
2. Has the "diskette 1" been read and have you seen the first menus, up to "custom installation" and "easy installation"?
3. If so then I suppose you have selected "custom installation" and the FDISK crashed. Am I right?
4. Are there some old partitions on the HD, especially William Setag's Neanderthal Technology partitions?
5. How did the FDISK fail? Did it start at all? If so, did it object against the HD? Something like "cannot operate the hard disk" and so on?

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 10:27
zizban
Normal member
in user

3. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
I figured it out; I went to Advanced amd had to fdisk twice; once to partition set startable and another time to set installable. I'm new and I'm trying.

I can't wait until my eComstation disks arrive!

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 14:47
Radek
Premium member
in user

4. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
And when then the FDISK crashed? When you created the partition or when you tried to set it startable and installable?
Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 15:50
zizban
Normal member
in user

5. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
It crashed when I did easy install and it told me it had to erase the entire disk.
Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 15:54
Radek
Premium member
in user

6. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
Aha! I see. The "easy" installation tried to give the whole disk to the OS/2 and you didn't want it Therefore, there are other partitions on the disk and, most likely, other operating systems

You need to run "advanced" installation, install boot manager and add all partitions with the operating systems to the boot manager menu. This can be done from FDISK. Then you need to create a new partition for OS/2 (I recommend at least 1GB), make it "installable" and add it to the boot manager menu, too. This, too, is done from FDISK. Save changes, quit FDISK and the installation should run.

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 16:55
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
7. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
Hi,

If you continue to run into problems with FDISK, IBM has actually posted a "refreshed" version of FDISK which works better with large hard disks (anything larger then 7.9GB). You can find it at:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c007ac1ef/81e0e0371d5c50d986256c08004a2cca?OpenDocument

or for a direct link to the package:

http://service.software.ibm.com/os2dd/free/extpart/expartw4.exe

I've had a few machines that I was unable to get to partition or properly complete the install without this newer FDISK.

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 17:07
zizban
Normal member
in user

8. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
Thanks all!

Any tips on how to install fixpacks?

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 17:20
Radek
Premium member
in user

9. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
1. Download sfix41.zip from hobbes. It's a PM fixpack installer, which will make the patching MUCH simpler than the normal installation from the prompt. Install sfix.
2. Download all fixpack disk images and follow the sfix instructions. In principle, copy all of them to a new (empty) directory, run sfix and tell it where are the files.
3. Restart.
Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 17:31
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
10. Re:FDISK Unsucessful + FixPack Install
You will find detailed instructions on how to install "generally" in the first disk image of old Fixes, on other situation you'll find separate files of instructions from
the IBM site.

Searching by Google also gives results.

ciao, os2power

Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 17:32
zizban
Normal member
in user

11. Re:FDISK Unsucessful
Thank you all tons! You've made a newbie's life easier.
Date: 02 Mar, 2005 on 17:39
FDISK Unsucessful
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: