Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DaveW
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Mar, 2005
1. eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Not that it is any surprise, but I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron XPS, pretty much top-of-line laptop and got hold of ECS 1.2 in hopes the new OS would actually have drivers that worked on a Dell notebook. WRONG! I have read the bit below on a successful Dell Inspiron 8000 series and 5000 series so I am still hopeful. Run down on my woes:

1) Disk. This laptop uses an Intel ICH5 EIDE bus from what I can gather and a 100GB hard drive. ECS 1.2 only recognizes the first 4GB's! Thought that was a problem solved LONG ago, but apparently not. I guess ECS 1.2 still has some old drivers in the install CD, even though DANIS506.ADD is being used. Must be one of the other drivers.... Any suggestions to get it to see the WHOLE 100GB?

2) Network. This latptop uses a Broadcom X570 series Gigabit ethernet adapter. I have downloaded the ndis2 OS/2 drivers for this, but ECS says the .nif file is invalid. I just picked some other driver so I could network stuff installed, then let it boot and manually replaced the PROTOCOL.INI, and config.sys reference to the B57 files. Boots just fine, but still the requester fails to start and no internet connectivity even though all the drivers load cleanly. Not sure what's up here.

3) Sound. Sigmatel C-Major audio. The ALSA stuff apparently doesn't support this chispet. The UNIAUDIO.SYS fails to load on boot.

4) PCMCIA. TI4150. Supplied drivers are a no go. None recognize it. No problem, though since I have no use for PCMCI any more.

5) No wireless support at all. Standard Dell wireless stuff they've had for a while and I see where ECS still is not supporting the Dell hardware

Video is the only thing that works. It is great. Hats off to SciTech!

The disk is the really BIG deal, although networking would be nice to get working. I can live without sound and PCMCIA although i do like to get everything running as well as I can. I depend on my Windows and Linux OS's to talk to the world and do most of my development on. I then cross compile to OS/2 using Innotek's gcc 3.3.5 stuff.

But having a functioning disk is quite critical. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave W
Cross platform zealot
Date: 30 Mar, 2005 on 17:59
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS

DaveW (30 Mar, 2005 17:59):
Not that it is any surprise, but I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron XPS, pretty much

Just had a look at the specs on the Dell site and it sounds very nice. Wish I could afford one.

I've just commented below on what I know...

1) Disk. This laptop uses an Intel ICH5 EIDE bus from what I can gather and a 100GB hard drive. ECS 1.2 only recognizes the first 4GB's! Thought that was a problem solved LONG ago, but apparently not. I guess ECS 1.2 still has some old drivers in the install CD, even though DANIS506.ADD is being used. Must be one of the other drivers.... Any suggestions to get it to see the WHOLE 100GB?

This is a bit surprising. What version of DANIS506.ADD does eCS 1.2 have? It's possible it is a version that doesn't support Intel ICH5. In any case, grab the latest from hobbes and try it.

3) Sound. Sigmatel C-Major audio. The ALSA stuff apparently doesn't support this chispet. The UNIAUDIO.SYS fails to load on boot.

Get the latest version of UniAud from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud and try that. If it still doesn't work, go over to the UniAud forums at http://os2.kiev.ua/en/forum.index.php?f=0 and ask if it can be added. Also, I think that "Sigmatel C-Major" is a family name. The actual chipset seems to be something like STAC975x. I'm fairly sure that this will be supported by UniAud.

4) PCMCIA. TI4150. Supplied drivers are a no go. None recognize it. No problem, though since I have no use for PCMCI any more.

Dani strikes again. http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/ss2ticb.zip is a patched driver that supports this.

On top of this, grab PCI from hobbes (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/pci049vkd.zip). Run this to get a list of all the devices in your machine. This is very useful to find drivers, or when talking to the driver writers about getting support.

Hopefully some of this helps. Don't forget to tell us if you get it running properly.

---
David

Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 05:36
DaveW
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS

davidfor (31 Mar, 2005 05:36):

DaveW (30 Mar, 2005 17:59):
Not that it is any surprise, but I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron XPS, pretty much

Just had a look at the specs on the Dell site and it sounds very nice. Wish I could afford one.

I've just commented below on what I know...

This is a bit surprising. What version of DANIS506.ADD does eCS 1.2 have? It's possible it is a version that doesn't support Intel ICH5. In any case, grab the latest from hobbes and try it.

Get the latest version of UniAud from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud and try that. If it still doesn't work, go over to the UniAud forums at http://os2.kiev.ua/en/forum.index.php?f=0 and ask if it can be added. Also, I think that "Sigmatel C-Major" is a family name. The actual chipset seems to be something like STAC975x. I'm fairly sure that this will be supported by UniAud.

Dani strikes again. http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/ss2ticb.zip is a patched driver that supports this.

On top of this, grab PCI from hobbes (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/pci049vkd.zip). Run this to get a list of all the devices in your machine. This is very useful to find drivers, or when talking to the driver writers about getting support.

Hopefully some of this helps. Don't forget to tell us if you get it running properly.

Thants for the reply. I tried the latest Danis506 last night (v1.72). Boosted what it saw from 4GB to 30GB, still not seeing 70GB, though. I emailed Daniel my trace output in accordance with the instructions in Problem.txt.

I am using the latest uniaud driver so I guess I'll go to their site and give them my specs and see if they have an answer. Sound is a nice-to, not a must-have thing for me.

I will poke around a bit on the PCMCIA front. I'm pretty sure, even at ECS 1.2 they are not using the latest drivers. Again, I do not intend to use any PCMCIA stuff in the future.

ECS also has no support for my WiFi nik. I think they have support for only one IBM card. Guess that will come along somewhere down the road someday.

Video and Gigabit networking is working fine. But the disk issue is a real problem for me. And I can't just create partitions on the rest of the disk for my other OS's to see with other tools because once something else messes with the partition table, OS/2's LVM loses its brains and OS/2 will no longer boot.

---
Dave W
Cross platform zealot

Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 15:48
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
4. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
http://wlan.netlabs.org/
Did you check the above to see if there are or plans for your wifi card?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 16:37
tex
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jul, 2003
5. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
last updated at 31 Mar, 2005 17:30 (1 times)
[/quote]
Video and Gigabit networking is working fine. But the disk issue is a real problem for me. And I can't just create partitions on the rest of the disk for my other OS's to see with other tools because once something else messes with the partition table, OS/2's LVM loses its brains and OS/2 will no longer boot.[/quote]

I know you are impatient to get your system up and operating, but give Dani a chance to respond.

One problem I had when I contacted Dani was that she never received any of my email. For some reason, somewhere along the line, someone was filtering out my email address. After over a week, with no response, I wrote her using my wife's email address and I did get a response back. Thus, I had to use my wife's email address for all our correspondenses.

My problem occurred with a Compaq Presario. It came with WinXP. I used Partition Commander 8 to resize the NTFS partition. I then used it to create another partition, which would be used for eCS and left 8 MB of space on the disk for the IBM Boot manager. One problem I had is that eCS would not install to a primary partition. Once I made the eCS partition an extended logical partition, everything proceeded without a hitch. When I replaced my 40 GB drive with a 60 GB drive, I encountered the same problem.

However, since this was a new hard drive, I created an 8 MB partition at the beginning of the disk for IBM Boot Manager, and then four other partitions which I used to install XP, ECS, and two FAT32 partitions. Again eCS would not install properly unless I installed it on an extended logical partition. On both hard drives, the eCS install followed Windows XP with fixpack 1 which was installed on a primary partition. I felt that XP was the reason that eCS would not install on a primary partition following it, but I don't understand why. I put Boot Manager at the beginning of the drive, because booting between systems works best this way.

David

Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 17:16
DaveW
Normal member
in user

6. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS

tex (31 Mar, 2005 17:30):

Video and Gigabit networking is working fine. But the disk issue is a real problem for me. And I can't just create partitions on the rest of the disk for my other OS's to see with other tools because once something else messes with the partition table, OS/2's LVM loses its brains and OS/2 will no longer boot.[/quote]

I know you are impatient to get your system up and operating, but give Dani a chance to respond.

One problem I had when I contacted Dani was that she never received any of my email. For some reason, somewhere along the line, someone was filtering out my email address. After over a week, with no response, I wrote her using my wife's email address and I did get a response back. Thus, I had to use my wife's email address for all our correspondenses.

My problem occurred with a Compaq Presario. It came with WinXP. I used Partition Commander 8 to resize the NTFS partition. I then used it to create another partition, which would be used for eCS and left 8 MB of space on the disk for the IBM Boot manager. One problem I had is that eCS would not install to a primary partition. Once I made the eCS partition an extended logical partition, everything proceeded without a hitch. When I replaced my 40 GB drive with a 60 GB drive, I encountered the same problem.

However, since this was a new hard drive, I created an 8 MB partition at the beginning of the disk for IBM Boot Manager, and then four other partitions which I used to install XP, ECS, and two FAT32 partitions. Again eCS would not install properly unless I installed it on an extended logical partition. On both hard drives, the eCS install followed Windows XP with fixpack 1 which was installed on a primary partition. I felt that XP was the reason that eCS would not install on a primary partition following it, but I don't understand why. I put Boot Manager at the beginning of the drive, because booting between systems works best this way.

David[/quote]

That's STILL a problem in 1.2. ECS will NOT install to a primary partition, directly. You can put the Boot Manager in one, but the actual ECS system partition must be a logical one. But until I get my basic disk problem fixed, I'm dead in the water....

My hope is to use OS/2's boot manager to manage booting between Linux, WinXP and ECS.... WinXP is more friendly to OS/2 now, unlike Windows 2000, you can re-enable the bootmanager from WinXP's Disk Management console. Linux will allow you install Grub or Lilo just about anywhere, even though my Debian install CD does not see OS/2 boot manager at all, just the partition....

---
Dave W
Cross platform zealot

Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 17:37
tex
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jul, 2003
7. Re:eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
last updated at 31 Mar, 2005 17:44 (2 times)

tex (31 Mar, 2005 17:30):

My problem occurred with a Compaq Presario. It came with WinXP. I used Partition Commander 8 to resize the NTFS partition.

David[/quote]

One important thing. If you change the partition sizes or anything like that and then you aren't able to boot to eCS, use the eCS installation disk 1 to boot to LVM to add the changes necessary for eCS to boot again. Save the changes and you are back in business. The same goes if you can't boot to eCS for any reason. The installation disk acts as a boot disk with utilities. You just start the installation. When you see the "Maintence Console", you select it and go there to make corrections to the config.sys and/or add newer drivers. Save the changes and reboot.

David

Date: 31 Mar, 2005 on 17:42
eComStation 1.2 on a Dell Inspiron XPS
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: