Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Update on ECS 1.2 Install on Dell Inspiron XPS laptop
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DaveW
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Mar, 2005
1. Update on ECS 1.2 Install on Dell Inspiron XPS laptop
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Just to keep this forum up to date....

I think I have gotten past the base disk driver thing. Appears not be a driver issue at all but a geometry based thing. I used a Windows XP Install CD to clean all partitions out and start over.

One very odd thing though. Even on a completely clean disk with no partitions, the ECS installer STILL only sees 4GB, initially. I created a Boot Manager and a 3GB ECS install partition (volume) and added it to the boot menu. I cancelled the install at that time and rebooted to Windows CD. Created a 25 GB partition for WinXP and installed that. Went back to ECS install and BOOM! installer now saw all 100GB of the disk??

It had the boot manger, ECS 3GB partition, and the 25 GB WinXP partion as a compatability volume and about 70GB of free space. Added WinXP to the boot menu and installed ECS.

Tried to reboot to WinXP off the ECS boot menu and WinXP boot hung for some reason. Will have to investigate that later. Tried to use LVM in ECS to create some Linux install partitions as well. Linux did alright until trying to install Grub or Lilo to it's root (boot) partition. It failed.

So even though ECS can now "see" all 100GB, I still have disk issues.

On the other hardware front....

Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet works just fine. I have full network and inet connectivity via DHCP.

Video is very nice.

Actually got the PCMCIA subsystem working with Daniela's latest driver for that (even though I have nothing to use it with).

USB works.

Sound is still a no go but the Uniaud folks are looking at a pci.exe dump I game them. Results of that are that my card requires acpi/2 capability, being an ICH5,6,7 family chipset. The Uniaud driver does not have that capability yet, but they are working on it.

My main question(s), at this point is/are

1) Why does miniLVM on ECS install boot still only see 4GB even on a clean, non-partitioned disk?

2) Why does adding WinXP to the ECS Boot Manager menu cause WinXP reboot to hang?

3) Why can't I get Grub or Lilo to install on my LVM created Linux volumes (all created as compatability volumes)?

My hunch is that the MBR is still screwed up from using Linux Kernel 2.6 installer to create the initial partitions. DFSee might be of use here to completely reinitialize the disk, including zeroing out the MBR entirely.

Dave W
Cross platform zealot
Date: 01 Apr, 2005 on 18:29
tex
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 25 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Update on ECS 1.2 Install on Dell Inspiron XPS laptop
2) Why does adding WinXP to the ECS Boot Manager menu cause WinXP reboot to hang?

Did you use LVM to make the XP volume a bootable volume and assign it a drive letter?

3) Why can't I get Grub or Lilo to install on my LVM created Linux volumes (all created as compatability volumes)?

My hunch is that the MBR is still screwed up from using Linux Kernel 2.6 installer to create the initial partitions. DFSee might be of use here to completely reinitialize the disk, including zeroing out the MBR entirely.[/quote]

The best thing to do would be to use DFSee to create a new Master Boot Record with the partition tables erased. Then use LVM to create all the parititons and use LVM to make them the necessary volumes, either compatibility or bootable.

I am told told that it is not necessary to create both a paritition and volume, but just the volume. However, I have always done the two step with great success.

David

Date: 01 Apr, 2005 on 19:31
DaveW
Normal member
in user

since: 30 Mar, 2005
3. Re:Update on ECS 1.2 Install on Dell Inspiron XPS laptop

tex (01 Apr, 2005 19:31):

Did you use LVM to make the XP volume a bootable volume and assign it a drive letter?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I made it a bootable volume, but did not assign it a drive letter. Both appear as "C:" in the boot manager menu. I get the WinXP splash screen and then the second, blue Windows screen, but then it hangs. I'm guessing that may be a Windows drive letter issue?

My hunch is that the MBR is still screwed up from using Linux Kernel 2.6 installer to create the initial partitions. DFSee might be of use here to completely reinitialize the disk, including zeroing out the MBR entirely.

The best thing to do would be to use DFSee to create a new Master Boot Record with the partition tables erased. Then use LVM to create all the parititons and use LVM to make them the necessary volumes, either compatibility or bootable.

I am told told that it is not necessary to create both a paritition and volume, but just the volume. However, I have always done the two step with great success.

That's kinda the plan at this point....

---
Dave W
Cross platform zealot

Date: 01 Apr, 2005 on 19:35
Update on ECS 1.2 Install on Dell Inspiron XPS laptop
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: