Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Final update on ECS on Dell Inspiron XPS
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DaveW
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Mar, 2005
1. Final update on ECS on Dell Inspiron XPS
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Thought I'd repeat this one here, from my post on the eComStation news group for anyone interested

Success! Finally got this accomplished after about 2 weeks of consternation. I now have a Debian Linux 2.6.8 customize Kernel, Windows XP Pro and ECS 1.2 all running on the same machine and managed via ECS's Boot Manager. Below is how I finally did it.

I continued to have difficulty using LVM, DFSee or Windows to partition the disk AND have Debian Linux install its own Grub or Lilo boot managers. Never did figure out just why, so I started out using Debian Linux's 2.6 installer to do the initial partitioning. Below are the steps.

1) Boot to Debian Linux installation CD and used the Linux26 option

2) Used the partitioning app on that to build this:

7MB Non specified Primary partition for OS/2 Boot Manager
25GB Non specified Primary for Windows XP
3GB Non specified Logical of ECS 1.2
1GB Ext3 Root for Linux
1GB Ext3 /var for Linux
1GB Ext3 /tmp for Linux
15GB Ext3 /usr for Linux
1GB SWAP for Linux
30GB FAT32 for common data storage for all three OS's (/opt mount for Linux)
Left the rest undefined for now.

3) Write that out to disk and abandon the Linux Install at that point.
4) Boot to the Win XP CD and install Windows to the 25GB Primary partiton.
5) After basic WinXP install I ran DFSee to change the disk geometry to the common geometry understood by ECS's LVM.
6) Install ECS. Had to boot using the older IBM disk driver as the Dani driver hung on the LVM component???
7) MiniLVM comes up and sees all the above partitions and the unused space. It identifies all those EXT3 partitions as "Linux".
Removed the 7BM partition and the 3GB Partition and reinstalled them as LVM Volumes. Added ECS to boot manager.
9) Installed ECS.
10) After ECS installation went back into EVM and added WinXP partition to bootmanager.
11) Reboot to Linux CD.
12) Linux still sees all the partitions and recognizes its own EXT3's. Had to re-define the mount points, though.
13) Loaded Grub into the /dev/hda6 (the second logical and the root mount). This was successful!
14) On reboot I got OS/2 Boot Manager with just ECS and WinXP on it so I chose ECS.
15) Went back in and added the Linux root partition as a compatability volume and added it to boot manager.
16) Reboot, selected Linux and it booted and completed the install, including compiling and installing a custom Kernel.
17) Just to check I boot to WinXP next. That worked, too. 1 Formatted the FAT32 partition under Windows. Both Linux and ECS now see that partition. Both Windows and ECS system drives appear to themselves as "C:" and the FAT32 drive appear as "D:" to both. FAT32 appears as /opt to Linux.

Only non functioning hardware on ECS is my audio (awaiting next driver containing acpi/2 support from Uniaud folks) and my WiFi adapter. Everything else is working.

Dave W
Cross platform zealot
Date: 04 Apr, 2005 on 18:08
Final update on ECS on Dell Inspiron XPS
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: