Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
I got shafted... any way around this?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DrCheeto
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 Apr, 2005
1. I got shafted... any way around this?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Ok.. I bought a copy of warp 4 on ebay to replace my beyond scratched cd... I pop the cd in, and lo and behold, Its in german.... Its been a while since ive installed, Is the whole operating system going to be german only? or can I work around it somehow.... The guy i bought it from is not returning my emails, so I'm stuck with it lol...
Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 19:04
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
Good question. I'm not sure abou this, but I believe the language can be changed during the installation when you select the country. But I've never tried this, so I do not know for sure.

If you have a running Warp sys tem (either Warp 3, 4, ECS, WSEB, etc), you could try using Updcd on that CD to create an "updated" CD but instead of the German Fixpak use the US English fixpak for the update. Again, I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a shot.

Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 19:22
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
3. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
last updated at 09 Apr, 2005 19:33 (1 times)
DrCheeto,

That old CD-ROM can be fixed. You can get a DVD/CD refinisher to repair the disk. As to the item being in German, just click through it to intall. I had bought a Spanish version of OS/2 for my wife. If you are familiar with OS/2, installing a different laguage version is pretty straight forward. You may want to ensure the codepages for you are available. Also, most system documentation will be in the language version of the operating system. This may be a good time to learn or improve your German.

If you ever want to sell it, please let me know, as I have a 2001 Golf 1.8T I've been dying to install a mini-ITX system. It would fit the Euro feel as I have 5 headrests to install LCDs on (two for the rear passengers, three for the tailgaters ).

email:
c y b e r s p i t t l e @ y a h o o . c o m

Date: 09 Apr, 2005 on 19:29
DrCheeto
Normal member
in user

4. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
Well, I cant read any of the Partitioning stuff.. not to mention my install disks are too old to format this drive (larger than 4.3gig)... Anybody have any english startup disk images they'd be willing to help me with? I know I can download disk 1 and 2 from ibm, but disk 0 still sets everything in german....
Date: 10 Apr, 2005 on 00:07
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
5. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
Perhaps if you have MS-DOS disks lying around or other operating system available to partition the disk? Those CD-ROM/DVD-ROM repair tools are available at most electronic stores or mass-retailers (Walmart). Game stores sometimes will repair also (for a fee).
Date: 10 Apr, 2005 on 01:00
olebowle
Normal member
in user

since: 10 Apr, 2005
6. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
Hello,
I would gladly send you a English version for your German version.
Olebowle
Date: 10 Apr, 2005 on 01:24
DrCheeto
Normal member
in user

7. Re:I got shafted... any way around this?
Could anybody maybe send me just the english boot disk 0 image? (disk0.dsk)....
Date: 11 Apr, 2005 on 01:20
I got shafted... any way around this?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: