Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Problems installing eCS...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
harlleysathler
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 Jun, 2005
1. Problems installing eCS...
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi all!

It's my first post here, so, sorry for my bad english... I'm Brazilian!

Well,

I installed eCS on my computer (and old Pentium 200MHz, 48Mb RAM, 2Gb HD, ATI Mach64 graphics adapter, SoundBlaster AWE and a Realtek 8019AS ISA PNP lan card), and after the installation is complete, the system don't starts up.

The system stops on the message of Scitech Display Doctor. If I stalled eC using the standart display driver, the system stops too, on the some point...

Can one help me?

Thank you very much!

Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 15:43
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Problems installing eCS...
Did the installation finish? Therefore, had you seen the system running (the final stage of the installation) in 640x480?

If it did then it can be a clash between SDD, the video card and, possibly, other parts of the hardware.
1. I have checked the supported videos for SNAP: it supports Mach64 GX, CX, VT, VTB, and VT4. Is your video one of these cards?
2. Another possibility is an incomplete VESA support on your video card. Or it can be a "fake" support: some video cards boast that they are "VESA 3 compatible" - and support only 640x480, 16 color modes! Note that if SDD doesn't recognize your video card then it tries to operate the card in VESA mode. If the VESA isn't what it should be then SDD must fail.
I suggest to try the following:

1. Turn off PnP support in BIOS. Sometimes, PnP does not work well with OS/2.
2. Try some simple VESA compatible video card instead of your video card. If the system will start then it is the video who is guilty.

Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 16:47
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:Problems installing eCS...
Might as well be an idea to boot OS2 into command line (ALT+F1 when system boots) and from there set it to plain vga, ie SET VGA command. Just to get on with the system.
Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 17:57
harlleysathler
Normal member
in user

4. Re:Problems installing eCS...
Well,

I have change the video card, expand memory, and booted (or tryed) to boot in command line.

The folowing error message appears: SYS0029: The system cannot write to the especified device.

Date: 15 Jun, 2005 on 02:23
tex
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Problems installing eCS...
Which version of eCS are you trying to install, version 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2?

I know version 1.1 required around 40 MB of RAM to install. Version 1.2, I believe needs around 60 MB of RAM. Version 1.0 required much less RAM than 1.1 and 1.2

David

Date: 15 Jun, 2005 on 02:46
harlleysathler
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Problems installing eCS...
I'm running version 1.1...

Now the computer has 64Mb of RAM

Date: 15 Jun, 2005 on 02:48
tex
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jul, 2003
7. Re:Problems installing eCS...
I think it takes 3 boots for a complete install. How many boots did you get before your problem occurred. On boot up, hit the alt+F2 to see what driver the bootup stops at.

Did you made an installable volume with LVM and assign the volume a drive letter?

I would get the latest OS2krnl, os2ldr, daniatapi.flt, and dani1s506.add also.

David

Date: 15 Jun, 2005 on 04:52
harlleysathler
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Problems installing eCS...
well,

I changed the hd of the computer... It was bad...

But after installed the new hd (that I know that works ok) the problem persists...

If I install OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business it runs ok...

And if I abort phase 3 of installation, the system operates ok, but no sound and no network. If I load the installation script again the system don't initialize...

What the script do on phase 3?

Any one can help me?

Date: 12 Jul, 2005 on 00:09
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
9. Re:Problems installing eCS...
Hi,

I used to have an ATI Mach64 based card, and even though the documentation claims that SNAP will work with this card, I was never able to get it to work. In order to get my video working properlly, I had to 1: Install Warp with base VGA, and then 2: do a selective install of the Mach64 drivers (I found that the Mach64 Drivers 2.22 worked the best, but I also had luck with 3.1 - search on Hobbes and you should be able to find them).

Another thought. When installing eCS on my system, at one point it generated some error messages that I had to hit "OK" to before it would procede, the only problem is the error messages were located behind the install screen. To get past this, I had to press CTRL-ALT-F11 a couple of times (as described in the FAQ on the CD Rom) until I got the "minimize" button on the title bar. Then I could move the window out of the way to press "ok" as needed.

The third thing I've run into recently when installing Warp is with older hard disks which don't support Bus Mastering, I had to disable the Bus Mastering in the IBM1S506.ADD driver (or DANIS506.ADD). Adding the /A:0 /!BM /A:1 /!BM to the line in the config.sys can do this.

Don't know if this will help

Date: 12 Jul, 2005 on 21:10
Problems installing eCS...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: