Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 24 Jun, 2005
1. OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hey guys,

I an an experienced computer user, but this is my first venture into OS/2.

I am trying to install OS/2 Warp 3.0 (Connect) onto an old 386. Every time I try and run the install, I get an internal processing error. After doing a bit of searching, I have found the Alt+F2 on startup trick, which has isolated the problem to the ibm1s506.add module - it freezes on that one each and every time.

After a bit more research, I replaced it with a 3rd party driver (danis506.add) with the exact same results. I have also disabled bus mastering - no joy - and removed and unnecessary hardware (network card and sound card). But I'm now at a loss as to where to go from here.

I'm eager to get into OS/2 to see what it is capable of, but this is just starting to bug me...

Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 07:52
icebear
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jun, 2001
2. Re: Your OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect is more than ...
... TEN YEARS old and so are your drivers !!!

Your 386 is also quite old but shold not be of a problem ...
... but you should tell more about your system's HW configuration !!

First of all:
You need to create your 3 boot floppies and adjust to more accurate drivers,
especially the IBM1S506.ADD if your HDD is bigger than 8.4GB !!

Goo luck !

Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 09:30
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Also when booting on the installations diskettes, press ALT+F2 when you see the white cursor and OS/2 in the uper left corner. The system will then list every line within config.sys and you'll then know where the system might get into trouble.
Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 11:34
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

4. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
OK, so the 386 has 8mb RAM, 250mb hard drive in it, unknown controller (Windows 95 identifies it only as a "Standard ESDI/IDE Controllor"). Trident video card in it as well (512k). I've already tried the ALT+F2 thing and that has identified that it falls over just after it loads ibm1s506.add
Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 12:16
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
5. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
What is the size of your hard drive? Are you using the original installtion diskettes or the updated ones?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 15:35
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
6. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
last updated at 24 Jun, 2005 18:14 (1 times)
A modern hard drive (many GBs) and an old BIOS could be a problem ... even if you have updated the OS/2 Warp Connect installation floppies to include danis or IBM IDE device driver. The 386, a marvel in it's time, can run OS/2. However, there were two different versions of it. The "DX" was a full 32-bit in/out CPU, while the "SX" was a combination of 32-bit and 16-bit.

Your best bet is to use a small hard drive (if you can find one) around 250MBs or so. Install OS/2 Warp Connect, as a proof of concept. Then proceed to install OS/2 Warp Connect on a larger hard drive with the updated installation floppies.

You should ensure that the BIOS sees the hard drive properly with each increase in hard drive capacity.

Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 18:12
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

7. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem

dogwomble (24 Jun, 2005 12:16):
OK, so the 386 has 8mb RAM, 250mb hard drive in it, unknown controller (Windows 95 identifies it only as a "Standard ESDI/IDE Controllor"). Trident video card in it as well (512k). I've already tried the ALT+F2 thing and that has identified that it falls over just after it loads ibm1s506.add

Whoops! I should have read this post closer! With your 386 (DX/SX?), 8MBs RAM, 250MB hard drive, and Trident Video card (run as VGA ... then ugrade drivers), you should be OK to install OS/2 Warp Connect without any modification to the installation floppies.

What does your BIOS see for the hard drive? Also, can you install another operating system on the hard drive (MS-DOS, etc.)? I would hate to think you are installing on a bad hard drive, as it would crap out the install. Once we have verified what the BIOS sees and have confirmed the hard drive is good, we can proceed to troubleshoot.

Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 18:24
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

8. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
last updated at 24 Jun, 2005 23:31 (1 times)
OK, I've currently got Windows 95 installed on this machine - loaded first time without a hitch - and I've had DOS 6.22/Win 3.11 on this machine as well. I believe it is also an AMD 386SX/40 chip. The HDD comes up as 1001 cylinders, 11 heads, 34 tracks (249mb) ... IIRC when I put that drive in, because the BIOS doesn't have auto detect, I got tose values off the actual drive itself.

As far as the installation disks go, I'm using ones I built off the CD so they are unmodified ... the original driver plus an updated driver causes the same thing. Removing the driver in question causes the setup to continue normally, excepting for the fact that becaise it hasn't loaded IDE drivers, it can't load the cdrom drivers to continue installation.

Date: 24 Jun, 2005 on 23:29
icebear
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jun, 2001
9. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Your installation problem may NOT be the IBM1S506.ADD !!!
It stops and shows the IBM1S506.ADD !!
The problem may be your screen setting !?

BTW: Your RAM and your HDD sizes are quite small ...
... check the README's for the needed prerequisites

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 02:34
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

10. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem

icebear (25 Jun, 2005 02:34):
Your installation problem may NOT be the IBM1S506.ADD !!!
It stops and shows the IBM1S506.ADD !!
The problem may be your screen setting !?

More detail plz?

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 12:51
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
11. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
You have to install video as VGA, you'll change it later and latest after successfull install.

You also have a very small HD, what's the free space left? As you already have w95 + Dos it can't be much.

Clearly you'll need to install Boot Manager as well.

Suggest you get Partition Magic v.4 make a D: partition for OS/2 and install there but as a minimun you'll need 120MB free.

ciao.

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 14:11
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

12. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem

os2power (25 Jun, 2005 14:11):
You have to install video as VGA, you'll change it later and latest after successfull install.[/quoote]

OK, what changes do I need to make to the boot disks for this to happen? Bearing in mind that the above crash happens on Disk 2 of the floppy boot....(it doesn't even make it's way into the installer).

os2power (25 Jun, 2005 14:11):You also have a very small HD, what's the free space left? As you already have w95 + Dos it can't be much.

I've got about 127mb free, however the plan is to wipe out the whole lot and replace it entirely with OS/2 (I already have a WinXP and a Win2K3 box so whether I have Win95 or not isn't too much of an issue....)

Clearly you'll need to install Boot Manager as well.

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 15:22
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

13. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Dogwomble,

OK, we've proven that the hard drive is good (installed Windows 95 and have had MS-DOS on it before). We will proceed to wipe out this "test install of another OS" and install OS/2 Warp Connect. I think os2power may not have read the whole thread and went off track with partition sizes and Partition Magic. I don't think messing with the screen is an issue. The install defaults to VGA, untill you start going into the device driver section later (printer, video, sound, etc.). I have always have best luck by going with VGA untill the system is up and running and sound. We'll worry about that later. Right now, we need to figure out why it is crapping out at the IDE section. It may be bombing off just prior to the hard drive device driver.

However, my main concern now, is the 386SX/40 CPU and an 8MB RAM situation. I'm going to hunt for my OS/2 Warp for Windows (Red Spline) and read the installation notes concerning low memory (8MBs) and see if the 386SX CPU is OK. If I remember correctly, my brother had installed OS/2 2.11 on a 386 CPU. I will try to contact him for any details he my remember. Bear in mind this may be going back over 10 years down memory lane.

Hang in there! We'll get this thing going yet!

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 19:18
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

14. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
AFAIK, it is supposed to run OK in as little as 4mb of RAM (but I'm assuming that's in line with MS system requirements where instead of running it dwadles so I may even be pushing it with 8mb).

But thanx for chasing up for me. I'm keen on at least trying it on the 386 and if I like it maybe using it on one of my faster boxes. (You think it would have any issues running on an AMX XP-2600 with 1.5gb RAM and a Radeon 9200 video card? :P)

Date: 25 Jun, 2005 on 23:23
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
15. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
last updated at 28 Jun, 2005 06:10 (1 times)
dogwomble,

Reading this thread... a few things.

8 megs should be fine for Warp 3 Connect. When I first ran OS/2, it was Warp 3 on a 4 meg 386 and it ran. Slowly... but it ran. Later I bumped that machine up to 10 megs and it ran quite well.

Which goes to my second question. Does this machine have a CD Rom? The first time I tried to install OS/2 Warp (Version 3), I ran into a problem where it was crashing because the drivers didn't like my CD Rom. It wouldn't work until I updated those drivers, then it would allow me to install.

You'll need to make some updated install disks. Make a copy of the install disks then grab:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/idedasd.exe

Unzip that package (it is a self-extracting ZIP, if you need use unzip to extract it) to a directory on your drive. In that ZIP there is a file DASD16.DMD - rename that file to:

OS2DASD.DMD

Then you can delete the following files

DASD32.DMD (only needed for Warp server)
IDE16.DDP (install file used for people who already have Warp up and running)
IDE32.DDP (install file used for those who already have Warp Server up and running)
ibm1s506.sym (not needed for Warp 3)
Readme.txt (don't need the readme file)

Now, copy all the remaining files on to your "Disk 1" - and this should update your disk 1 (double check the directory on Disk 1 to make sure it is the disk with these files on it). The files you are copying should include:

ibm1s506.add
ibmatapi.flt
ibmidecd.flt
os2cdrom.dmd
os2dasd.dmd

You may not have enough space on Disk 1. For directons on how to make more room on your disk 1 (use the copy you made earlier) check:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c007ac1ef/6330f82fce1de4998625669b0059c153?OpenDocument

Then edit your config.sys file on the Disk 1 and add the following line:

SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1

With any luck your install should now complete.

Date: 28 Jun, 2005 on 06:04
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

16. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
OK, when I get a chance, I'll give that a go
Date: 28 Jun, 2005 on 15:36
dogwomble
Normal member
in user

17. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
last updated at 03 Jul, 2005 16:40 (1 times)
Looks like I'll be giving up on OS/2 for the time being ... the 386 has decided that booting up is not such a good idea after all (turn it on and I get lights on but won't even boot to a BIOS screen). I'll try again when I can get another machine.

Edit: I got the 386 working again. The boot disks now work. Only prob is ... the install program apparently can't find some of the files on the CD, and won't tell me which ones ... I now formally give up on OS/2 and will continue using Windows as my primary operating system.

Date: 03 Jul, 2005 on 15:45
ANReeder
Normal member
in user

since: 08 Jul, 2005
18. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
My post is not directly related to dogwomble's original install problem, but I have an OS/2 Warp Connect v3 installation problem as well and it's sorta simple: the Installation Diskette is corrupt and won't boot. All remaining diskettes and the CDs are fine. All I need is a disk image for that first floppy. [The second diskette, called 'OS/2 Diskette 1', is fine.]

Where can I get it? Can anyone email me an image? I've got broadband, so the size is no problem.

I just don't like Linux or the Win9x's; and Win2K is too heavy for the laptop I wanna load a decent OS onto. It seems to me that OS/2 v3, being mostly available to me, is a very viable option - if, of course, I had the Installation Diskette to install it!

If any of you have an image to email, I'll provide the address in follow-up.

Thanks for your advice and help.

---
A. Reeder
At The Hermaion
Beumont, TX

Date: 08 Jul, 2005 on 02:29
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
19. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
ANReeder,

As you mention that you've got the CD's, then the solution is even easier then emailing a disk image.

On the CD there is a file called CDINST.BAT

If you run this file, it will create the first 2 disks you need to boot (ie, the install disk and disk 1) from disk images which are on the CD Rom.

Or, if you want to do this manually, open up a command prompt (if you're running a flavour of Windows that is), pop a disk in your floppy, and the command is:

x:\DISKIMGS\LOADDSKF x:\DISKIMGS\OS2\35\DISK0.DSK A:

for the "install disk". For the "Disk 1" the command is:

x:\DISKIMGS\LOADDSKF x:\DISKIMGS\OS2\35\DISK1_CD.DSK A:

Of course, substitute the "x:" for the drive letter of your CD drive.

To get OS/2 to install you'll probably have to update your Disk 1 as outlined in my earlier reply. Also you may have to update the config.sys on the Disk 1 so it doesn't load up drivers not needed (when I installed Warp on my laptop, the install disks wouldn't boot at all until I REM'd out all the SCSI and other device drivers which are called in the generic config.sys on Disk 1)

Hope this helps!

Date: 08 Jul, 2005 on 05:26
ANReeder
Normal member
in user

since: 08 Jul, 2005
20. Re:OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Fahrvenugen, danke, danke, danke! I'da never thunk to look there! The obvious can escape a wanna-be geek who's trying too hard! Even as I read your post, I performed precisely what you prescribed with the appropriate results.

Both Disk 0 & Disk 1 were infected by an antique virus 'Anticmos' which my new McAfee was able to clean from the original disks. I formated and imaged them anyway, just to be sure any corruption was gone. Years ago, I got that infection on a lot of system install disks (Win3.11 & Dos6.22 also), only seeming to affect the initial disks. Back then the old Mcafee anti-virus cleaning just corrupted the disks even worse!

Now, just to check, in the Disk 1 config.sys file, I am rem-ing out the following:
- all the 'basedev=' for
- idm2scisi.add
- aha1*.add
- aic*.add
- btscsi.add
- chincd*.flt
- hitcds*.flt
- neccds*.flt
- sonycds*.flt
- ibmidecd*.flt
- tmv1scsi.add
- sony*.add
- mitfx*.add
- sbcd*.add
- sony31a.add
I'm keeping basedev=toshcds1.flt 'cause my laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT.
I don't know what these are for:
- basedev=ibmint13.i13
- basedev=os2dasd.dmd
- basedev=dpt20xx.add
- basedev=cmdatapi.flt [sounds generic] Keep it?
Everything else looks benign or is supposed to load.

My rationale for OS/2 Connect is that the Tecra has P166MHz CPU, 80MB RAM, 1.5GB available for OS/2 (Win3.11 is on a 500MB partition). It ought to run at a nicely efficient speed. OS/2 Connect should recognize my home Win2K TCP/IP/NetBEUI intranet, recognize my Win3 installation, and, if I can get USB drivers installed, hopefully get me access to my SanDisk Cruzer & my FujiFilm camera xD flash card or my SanDisk multi-card reader. Win3.11 can't do that. When I'm on the road, I'll want to save photos to disk.
I will have to do some RTFM on how to install a USB upgrade! In previous attempts, upgrading OS/2 wasn't easy, but I've got smarter over the last few years, so maybe now I can take that on.

Was denken Sie? Should I go ahead with it now?

I'll let you know how it goes in follow-up. Thanks again, Fahrvenugen, for the most excellent help!

---
A. Reeder
At The Hermaion
Beumont, TX

Date: 08 Jul, 2005 on 18:06
OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect: Installation Problem
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: