Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
zizban
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 24 Feb, 2005
1. Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is it possible to upgrade from warp 4 to ecomstation, or do I have to erase and install ecomstation?
Date: 01 Aug, 2005 on 17:04
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Yes it is, and it *should* be more reliable than earlier installs, BUT,

I wouldn't recommend it. IMHO, it's better to do all your backing up and then start afresh. Others will give their own personal methods, and as I have always been lucky in upgrading my own Thinkpad I can't help with this, but I read so many horror stories that I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the greif. Certainly on all our desktop machines, a re-install involves a fresh job (except that I use DFSee to clone a working disk!)

Stuart

Date: 01 Aug, 2005 on 17:22
zman
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jun, 2005
3. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
reload from scratch. fortunately most os/2 apps mirgrate well (like dos apps). my systems alway have 3 partitions. os, apps, data. anyway never migrate the errors from any prior load no matter the os. esp nifty doorways!
Date: 01 Aug, 2005 on 21:05
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
4. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
few have already answered...........I suggest a clean install as the two OS's are not twins.

here lays the expert:

http://news.ecomstation.com/

ciao.

Date: 02 Aug, 2005 on 04:33
icebear
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jun, 2001
5. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Upgrading from an elder to a newer, especially different, system,
I would suggest a completely NEW installation !

I believe that eCS instructions and readdme's are saying so too !?

Good luck !

Date: 02 Aug, 2005 on 12:23
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
6. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
I do agree that the best option is to do a fresh install. However... I myself didn't take that advice, I just did an "upgrade" from Warp to eCS 1.2, and so far I have not had any problems.

I had 2 difficulties during the the install. First there was a point where dialogue boxes which required an "OK" click popped up behind the installer window, a window which by default you can't move or minimize. There is a comment in the readme on the eCS CD which states that if this happens you can press CTRL-ALT-F11 a couple of times and it'll give you the window controls with the ability to move the install window around and then click the needed "OK". It worked for me.

Second, the Multi-Media sub-system didn't install properly on the first round. To get it to work I had to do a selective install of MMOS2 once the system was up and running. After that things worked for me.

Date: 02 Aug, 2005 on 17:43
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
7. Re:Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Better late than never.

Forget about it, ONE or the OTHER!!!

Unless you are a masochist. ))

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 19:07
Upgrade from Warp 4 to Ecomstation
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: