Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installing eCS 1.2 on Proliant..
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
calmssea
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Jun, 2005
1. Installing eCS 1.2 on Proliant..
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi, I just got a Proliant 8500 with 8 CPU's in one piece.

It was handed with W2K3 ENT running. Had all 8 CPU running like a charm..

As I had several eCS SMP and a WSeB license sitting around, decided to put the rightful OS who can do real SMP on the server. eCS 1.2 and even WSeB install routine went on well.

But as expected, came into some problems.

eCS 1.2
After the first phase of install, (with proper driver updates for the HDD) it would keep restarting itself after loading the mouse.sys. I tried to rem out the COM.SYS drivers, but didn't help. I kept on trying to get the desktop or at least to get to the remaining phases, but it just kept on rebooting itself where it tries to do VIDEO mode changes. (I presume) Tried SciTech, VGA but no diff'.

So I thought "weird..install GUI works fine.." but as I has a WSeB lying around, went for the WSeB.

WSeB
Installs...and goes for the remaining phases of install, and goes through the usual network setup and things. But upon restart, it trap 000e's right after the network driver comes up.

Did GRADD and plain VGA but no diff.

Does any one have any experience with a Compaq Proliant 8500 and OS/2?

Thanks

Date: 04 Sep, 2005 on 11:59
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 23 Jul, 2004
2. Re:Installing eCS 1.2 on Proliant..
Hi,

As for WSeB, make sure that no I2O driver has been installed, as WSeB's I2O driver is/was buggy.

Also, try removing USB support from both eCS and WSeB and remove IBMINT13.I13 from CONFIG.SYS.

Lastly, was SCSI card is installed? Who's driver are you using?

Regards,
Moby.

Date: 05 Sep, 2005 on 23:50
calmssea
Normal member
in user

since: 12 Jun, 2005
3. Re:Installing eCS 1.2 on Proliant..
Finally! managed to get the baby running after fiddling with many configurations..

So here' s what went right and wrong..

As in last post WSeB went nuts with default install process.
But fortunately COMMAND Prompt (F2) was visible. At there I rem'ed out drivers hoping it would guide me further.

While trying to rem out the unnecessary parts, i found that WSeB would install via int13h driver, and tried to load AHA U2W driver, instead of the built in COMPAQ array.

I got the OS/2 support disk from COMPAQ(HP) and installed the devices from there. CPQARRAY.ADD. That went a bit further, but would not stop the trapping issues. REMming out the I2O also did help a bit, but still i'd get the trap.

I disassembled the unit, tried to play with the cache accelerator unit, and there it hit me, "F2 CMD loads fine, but straight boot fails. Only noticable difference is that straight boot tried to load the OS2APIC.PSD file. what about the APIC/MPT stuff.." and searched around the site to look for the PSD file for SMP.

HP has a PSD file dated for 2002, which was more recent than the one shipped with WSeB. Did a new round of install, with the PSD from COMAPQ, and now it installs, and runs like a charm!

Updatd the CPQARRAY.ADD, removed all unused devices and hey, it feels like a Ghz system with 8 550XEON running.

So my story ends here.

Date: 06 Sep, 2005 on 04:48
Installing eCS 1.2 on Proliant..
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: