Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS2 2.11 and USB
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
liv4ride
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 15 Sep, 2005
1. OS2 2.11 and USB
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there anybody out there that has experimented with this?
Date: 16 Sep, 2005 on 11:47
JonOS/2
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warp.be
since: 04 Jul, 2003
2. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
It might work, since the driver model of OS/2 hasn't been changed since Warp 2.0.
TRy it out.
Date: 16 Sep, 2005 on 12:43
liv4ride
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
I have tried it; BIOS will recognize a travel drive, but I cannot access the drive using OS2. I assume I need a driver to do so?
Date: 22 Sep, 2005 on 10:19
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
4. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
Working with Warp 3, I've found that some of the newer USB drivers from IBM won't work with the Warp 3 kernel, but the older drivers, and the CW-USB drivers work. I'd suggest these would be the best bet.
Date: 22 Sep, 2005 on 16:47
liv4ride
Normal member
in user

5. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
Thanks for your reply!! I will try WARP and see if I can get it to work, but I have to stay with OS2 2.11 for now for the sake of continuity of the project. This is a Combustion Turbine control application, so I cannot switch operating systems until I thoroughly test; my gut is Warp will work and as soon as I have replaced all the Multi-bus 386 processors with Pentiums I will try it.
Date: 24 Sep, 2005 on 15:23
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
6. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
Well, I'd try it with OS/2 2.11 then, there is a chance things may work.

Given the need to stick with 2.11, my best suggestion is to try the CW-USB drivers at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=cw-usb&pushbutton=Search

Also, for myself I've had very limited success getting the "USBD.SYS" or "CWUSBD.SYS" driver to properly recognize mass storage devices. There is a modified version of USBD in the MMPORTV1.ZIP file, available at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?sh=1&button=Search&key=mmportv1&stype=all&sort=type&dir=%2F

While things may be different, here's what makes it all work in my config.sys:

rem working USB stuff
BASEDEV=CWUSBOHC.SYS /V
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$,CWUSBUHC$ /V
BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:2 /REMOVABLE_AS_FLOPPY /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE
rem end of working usb stuff

Of course, depending on your chipset, the first line could call the CWUSBUHC.SYS driver.

And the USBD.SYS came from the MMPORTV1.ZIP file.

I think it also needs to have the lastest OS2DASD.DMD driver to work, but I'm not sure on this.

Hope this helps.

Date: 24 Sep, 2005 on 18:25
liv4ride
Normal member
in user

7. Re:OS2 2.11 and USB
Thanks!! I will try and let you know results.
Date: 24 Sep, 2005 on 19:04
OS2 2.11 and USB
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: