Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Niunio
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.burdjia.com
since: 26 Sep, 2005
1. Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 26 Sep, 2005 17:21 (4 times)
While I fix the CD problem I tried to install OS/2 Warp 3.00 using a floppy distro, but I find a weird error with the harddisk. This is a 10Gb disk and I want to install OS/2 and a Linux (about 2.5Gb for OS/2 and 7.5GB for Linux).

The problem is that OS/2's fdisk can't create the partitiones correctly (when I reboot the system it says that can't find a valid partition), so I tried the Win98's fdisk but then I try to install OS/2 and it says that it doesn't find a valid partition.

I've read the OS/2 Warp user manual but it doesn't say if there's a limit for hard disk size.

Can anybody help me?

Date: 26 Sep, 2005 on 17:03
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
last updated at 26 Sep, 2005 18:02 (2 times)
A few things with Warp 3...

First thing to keep in mind is that Warp 3 came out in 1994, a time when 10 gig hard disks were almost unheard of. I'm not saying you can't get Warp 3 to install and work with a 10 gig (or larger) hard disk, but it takes a little work and the components in the original release generally won't work. Also worth noting is that Warp 3 won't install on a hard disk partition which has a boundary beyond Cylinder 1024 (I think that's the boundary, but I don't have my Warp 3 manual handy to confirm this). You can still buse partitions beyond this boundary for data and such, but you're not likely to get it to install on such a partition. So you'll need to create a partition for Warp (probably around 2 - 3 Gigs) and then a second partition for data and / or other OSes, etc.

If you havn't already, you'll need to update your install disks (disk 1) with the IDEDASD.EXE package. This updates the drivers to handle larger hard disks. You can download it at:

http://service.software.ibm.com/os2dd/free/idedasd.exe

You probably won't have enough room on your Disk 1 for the updates. To determine how to make more room, what you can safely delete off a copy of Disk 1, check:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c007ac1ef/6330f82fce1de4998625669b0059c153?OpenDocument

FDISK in the base Warp 3 likely won't work, as you've found. You can grab a newer copy at:

http://service.software.ibm.com/os2dd/free/extpart/expartw4.exe

That archive is meant for Warp 4, but if I am correct, the fdisk.com that it contains will work under Warp 3 as well.

The other option is to use a partitioning application like DFSEE.

Assuming you're able to get past the initial install and into the second part of the install where the "maintenance desktop" comes up, my recommendation at this point is to stick with basics - VGA video (you can always install a video driver for your card later), and chose a "NON-Listed IDE CD Rom" for the CD Rom support.

The base release of Warp 3 is buggy and likes to crash. Once you're up and running, you'll want to install Fixpak 40 which will provide a lot of fixes and updates which really are needed to run Warp on newer hardware.

Hope this helps.

Date: 26 Sep, 2005 on 17:57
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
3. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Notes:

1. Niunio's problem is caused by "LBA limit" most likely. LBA is able to address only the first 8 MB of HD.

(a) Is the BIOS able of LBA addressing?
(b) Is the HD set in LBA mode?

I suppose both (a) and (b) is true. With 10G disk, you cannot use HD drivers which come with W3. They know only LBA and aren't able to address your 10G HD. You need better drivers.
Fahrvenugen has suggested good solutions. Another one is Daniela Engberts drivers, which you can find on Hobbes. Search Dani*.zip files.

2. Yes, the installation partition of W3 is limited by the "first 1024 cylinders" limitation but this is usually okay if your disk is in LBA mode. Therefore:

Create W3 partition first, at the beginning of the HD, and keep it smaller than 8G (with LBA). Install Linux later.

Note that your machine will *always* use BIOS at the very beginning of startup, simply because there is nothing else to execute. An operating system and drivers are waiting for loading right now. Your OS/2 installation partition must fit in the first 1024 (logical) cylinders of your HD as the BIOS sees it. The drivers will change this later and any limitations will fall.

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 09:35
Niunio
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.burdjia.com
4. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
last updated at 27 Sep, 2005 11:23 (2 times)
As I supposed it's a problem of drivers...

Now I have a question. I'm planning how I'll update the drivers of the install diskettes but I am a bit confused. The README.TXT file from idedasd.exe says

The Latest OS2 Loader package from DDPAK should be applied to your system 
(or installation diskettes) prior to installing this IDEDASD package.

Should I intall "The Latest OS2 Loader package from DDPAK" before to install OS/2? I hope it isn't necesary.

Anyway, some of the new driver files doesn't exist on my diskettes, i.e.: the OS2CDROM.DMD. Does it mean that it will fix the CD installation?

And finally, where can I find the Fixpak 40? Is it free? (My OS/2 is legal, not a pirate copy).

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 11:21
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
1. Fixpack 42 for W3 is on Hobbes ( hobbes.nmsu.edu ). Note that you can install a fixpack (or ddpack) only after a successful installation of the system so that you cannot install it now - with disketes and CD in hand and nothing on HD

2. In general, you need not install ddpack - you need it when you have a new hardware, which weren't supported so far or when the current drivers suffer from some serious bug. And when there is no alternative around

3. The Daniela Engberts drivers do not need ddpacks or fixpacks. Read the documentation, patch your installation disketes, update config.sys, try The only problem which could occur is that W3 is too old and your driver is too new. In that case, try older versions of the driver.

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 11:43
Niunio
Normal member
in user

6. DONE!
last updated at 27 Sep, 2005 17:32 (3 times)
Well, almost done really, but the install program is running 8^) .

Some comments to help other people with similar problems:

First I tried to update the drivers of the CD installation floppyes, but it doesn't work. So I tried with the floppy distro I did using the CD (about 20 floppy disks). I've updated dthe DISK 1 with the "idedasd" pack age. Then I had to rebuild the partition table because it was corrupted (I used Win98 fdisk for this).

So, I reboot and start the installation and create the partitions; this is important: OS/2 WARP 3.00 can't format partitions larger or equal than 2048 Mb.

At this moment the intallation program is copying the DISK 5. I'm happy and excited and grateful. Now I can to test the programs and libraries I coded for Linux and Windows (I'm a free-lance developer) and, if they work, I'll tell to you on this forum; they would be useful for someone.

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 16:45
Niunio
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Done!
last updated at 27 Sep, 2005 18:13 (2 times)
some comments I forgot:

I've deleted some files from DISK 1 to have room enough. These files are TEDIT.EXE and TEDIT.HLP

The installation fails when copy the DISK 1 because it was modifyed. So I used the CD-ROM to create another DISK 1 which should be used to the copy. Then, when the installation reboot to finish the installation I insert again the installation floppy but I press F3 to use the command line to copy the updated drivers (they're at X:\OS2\BOOT where X is the hard disk drive where the OS/2 was installed) and change the CONFIG.SYS FILE properly.

Once the updated files where copied at OS2\BOOT I've reboot the system to finish the installation.

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 18:00
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
8. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
For >8.4 MG HD you need updated install diskettes.

Get the one for the Thinkpads series from IBM support.

Install partition within first 1024.

Simple enough.

Get to work.

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 18:54
Niunio
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
last updated at 27 Sep, 2005 20:39 (1 times)
That's incredible... When I think I had all up and running, it fails! The computer boots but it freeze at the "OS2LOGO" display...
Why?

os2power: I downloaded the diskettes and the CD install runs but it fails just before the rebooting. It said that SYSINST2.EXE fails at assigning something.

I tryed to install again using floppy distro and uptdate the drivers but now it freeze at the "OS2LOGO" again...

I'm getting mad...

Date: 27 Sep, 2005 on 20:38
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Bear with me here, this response is long. I'm going to reply to the fixpak questions, and also to the boot freezing issue... First, a quick crash-course on Warp 3 fixpaks....

Ignore the comments about the ddpak in the IDEDASD.EXE readme. For base Warp 3, you don't really need DDPAK to make things work, and in some cases I've seen it cause problems. The DDPAK fixpaks were meant to be installed on Warp Server (the version based on the Warp 3 code base, but with a few differences), Warp Server for e-Business (the version based on Warp 4), and Warp 4. While it is possible to install the DDPAK fixpaks on base Warp 3, I've run into problems whenever I've done this in the past. So I generally avoid it.

As for the OS2CDROM.DMD - eventually once you get Warp installed you'll end up with a line:

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\OS2CDROM.DMD

in your config.sys. This is one of the device drivers which OS/2 needs to access the CD Rom drive.

The other item about the IDEDASD.EXE package is that it contains a file called DASD16.DMD. You need to re-name this to OS2DASD.DMD and then use that copy to replace that file in your \os2\boot directory. I think this is outlined in the README but I'm not sure.

And that leads me to my second point... for Fixpaks for Warp 3 (base, non-server), I've found the best fixpak to install is Fixpak 40. This was the last *free* fixpak from IBM for Warp 3. Fixpaks 41, 42, and 43 all had the client stuff taken out of them and were only officially recommended for Warp Server. That's not to say that you can't get these fixpaks to install on Warp 3 - it is possible and some people have had success doing this. But the results have been mixed. Some have had good results, some have run into problems. As a result, I generally recommend FP40 over the others. But in the end it is your choice.

The other benefit of Fixpak 40 over 41 through 43 is that 40 still contained driver updates as a part of the base Fixpak. Fixpaks 41 to 43 had the driver updates removed and spun off into the DDPAK fixpak. So, by going with FP40, you get the OS updates and driver updates all in one.

Anyways, if you want Fixpak 40, you can download it direct from IBM at (and I'm assuming you're using the US English version here, if you need a different language post a response and I can post the correct location):

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w040

If you want Fixpak 42, it is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w042

And Fixpak 43 is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w043

These links are to the RSU version which can be installed directly off a hard disk / CD Rom. You can also download floppy-images for the fixpak and play floppy-toaster to install it (the same way it sounds like you did with the Warp install), although this takes a lot more time. The floppy images are at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w040
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w042
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w043

For the floppy version, you'll need the loaddskf.exe utility to create the floppies (I think there is a copy of this on the OS/2 CD Rom somewhere)

For installing Fixpaks off a hard disk / CD Rom... the RSU version, download all the XR_W040?.ZIP files into one directory, and the CSF143.ZIP into another directory. Once all downloaded, unzip all these files, using an unzip application which will create directories. Since you don't yet have OS/2 up and running with internet access you may want to do this on a working machine and burn it to a CD Rom or something. But that's up to you.

To install the Fixpak, you'll want to open up an OS/2 command prompt window. First create a directory where it will store a backup of the replaced file, my recommendation is something like:

MD C:\ARCHIVE

Then change into the directory where you have unzipped the CSF143.ZIP file, and enter the following:

OS2SERV x:\csf143\CSF x:\fp40

Of course, fill in the drive letter and directory names as per whatever it is on your machine. When the Fixpak Installation window comes up, select one of the "Serviceable products" and click the "Advanced" check box, then hit Install. It will then kick in the Corrective Service facility, it should select all the serviceable products. Hit "Service", enter the directory name where you want the Archive put, and hit OK. It will probably tell you that there are some files it won't update until the next reboot, that's fine, just chose the "Continue" option. And as it goes, it will probably tell you there are some files which have newer date/time stamps then what is in the fixpak. The general rule of thumb that I use on a freshly installed system is to have it replace all the files with the ones in the fixpaks, except for the ones that I've manually updated to get the thing to boot (for example, files in the IDEDASD.EXE package).

Okay, end of the quick crash-course on Fixpaks... on to the question of the freeze-on-boot problem...

First, I'm assuming you've put the contents of the IDEDASD.EXE package (including the renamed OS2DASD.DMD file but EXCLUDING the DASD32.DMD file) into the c:\os2\boot directory. If you havn't yet then use your floppies to boot to a command prompt and do this and see if it fixes the problem.

If I understand you correctly, it is freezing on the OS/2 splash screen when you just start to boot it, after the little "boot blob" appears in the upper left corner of the screen. If this isn't the case, scan to the bottom of this post.

It sounds like it could be a driver issue. One thing to try is to reboot, then when you see the white boot "blob" in the upper left corner of the screen, hold down alt-F2 (you probably need to be quick on this). It'll list the driver names as they load up, see how far it gets.

Second thing - reboot again after it "freezes" only this time hit ALT-F1 while it has the "blob" while booting. You'll then get a menu where you can chose a command prompt, the maintenance desktop, revert to VGA, and boot normally.

If it is a driver which is causing the crash, you can try seeing if you can get to a command prompt and REM'ing out the driver in the config.sys (use something like TEDIT to edit config.sys)- that is as long as the drivers aren't critical to OS/2 running (for example, don't REM out the IBM1S506.ADD (or DANIS506.ADD if you're using that instead) - this is needed to control your IDE interface). I'm assuming this system does not have SCSI - if it does, then you may need to update your SCSI drivers - some of the SCSI drivers in the original Warp 3 release just didn't work properly. Also two drivers that I ran into problems with the last time I installed Warp 3 were:

TESTCFG.SYS
IBMINT13.I13

For the purpose of getting booted up, you may want to try REM'ing out these drivers and see if it will boot. I should mention that the TESTCFG.SYS is required for the Selective Install utility, but not necessairly needed for Warp to just boot and run. But it is also worth noting that there are updated versions of these drivers in Fixpak 40, so once you get the system up and running, if you then manage to get FP40 installed you should be in good shape and able to restore these drivers.

I have also had freeze-up problems with the following:

SONY31A.ADD
SONY535.ADD

If these drivers are listed in your config.sys, REM them out. Chances are you won't need them anyways.

Another thought - if you had Warp install a specific driver for your video card instead of standard VGA, this may be causing a problem (one driver I had trouble with was the base Warp 3 ATI Mach64 driver - but installing a newer driver worked fine for me). If this is the case, try the "Revert to VGA" option and see if that works.

And the final possibility that I can think of - if it isn't even getting to the OS/2 splash screen when you reboot, try booting to the command-prompt with your boot / install floppies and run the following:

SYSINSTX c:

I can't recall if SYSINSTX.COM is on Disk 0, 1 or 2, you'll have to look for this, but this will re-setup the hard disk partition to boot Warp (sort of like the old SYS C: command in DOS). If I recall correctly, the installer shipped with the old Blue-spine version of Warp 3 didn't always run this command properly when it did an install, and many had to run it manually during the installation process.

I should mention that there are some system kernels which seem to have difficulty booting on some machines, but I am guessing that this isn't the problem because you were able to get through the install process, and it just won't boot after installing. It sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

Sorry for the length of this reply, I hope this helps. It is possible to get Warp 3 running on current hardware, just a little difficult and frustrating at times. Let us know how things go!

Date: 28 Sep, 2005 on 04:01
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

11. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
I should just mention quickly, for the question about what is needed to gain access to your CD Rom (assuming an IDE CD Rom) after booting from boot floppies, you'll need to have the following in your config.sys and the appropriate files on the floppy:

basedev=ibm1s506.add
basedev=os2dasd.dmd
ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
basedev=ibmidecd.flt
device=os2cdrom.dmd

I don't know if this may be why you can't install off the CD or not, but it is something to check.

Date: 28 Sep, 2005 on 04:27
Niunio
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Whow! Yes, that was a long repy. Thanks.

I'll not install it now becaus I have no time but I'll do. I'll install the Spanish version; can you post the URL of the updates in that language? Thanks.

Date: 28 Sep, 2005 on 21:09
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
13. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Check ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/ and you'll find what you're looking for.
Date: 28 Sep, 2005 on 21:16
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

14. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Hi,

If you want the spanish version of the RSU fixpak (the one you can install directly from a hard disk) your choices are Fixpak 38 or Fixpak 42. They are at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xrsw038
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xrsw042

For the floppy images versions, just head to the URL that Kim posted.

Date: 29 Sep, 2005 on 02:40
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
15. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.

Niunio (28 Sep, 2005 21:09):
Whow! Yes, that was a long repy. Thanks.

I'll not install it now becaus I have no time but I'll do. I'll install the Spanish version; can you post the URL of the updates in that language? Thanks.

Porque no chiere trabacar un pochito mas?

Too easy to have others to do the work for U, look for it if interested enough.

ciao.

Date: 30 Sep, 2005 on 01:13
Niunio
Normal member
in user

16. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Actually, I have a lot of work waiting. I'll try again this week end.
Date: 30 Sep, 2005 on 21:25
Niunio
Normal member
in user

17. Re:Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
last updated at 05 Dec, 2005 23:53 (1 times)
Well. I finally has the system running but I forgot to say that I finally use a disk image I downloaded from warpdoctor. The other didn't work for me. This disk image also fixed the problems with CD-ROM.

Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you.

Date: 05 Dec, 2005 on 23:52
Installing OS/2: problems with 10Gb HD.
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: