Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Installing the DemoCD
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
madcrow
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 23 Feb, 2005
1. Installing the DemoCD
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Looking through the license for the new demo CD, I didn't notice anything that said one can't generate a bootable partition by hand using the files on the Demo CD... So, my question is simply, would it be possible to use the demo CD's files to create a minimal OS/2 install upon which other stuff could be added?
Date: 17 Oct, 2005 on 20:53
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Installing the DemoCD
Maybe, but that is rather against the spirit of the thing. eCS is not expensive, and without a revenue stream there wouldn't be any Demo CD, or any future for the OS. Think carefully before ripping off a small company. You might be cutting off your nose to spite your face (as we say in the UK)

Stuart

Date: 17 Oct, 2005 on 23:22
madcrow
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Installing the DemoCD

Stuart (17 Oct, 2005 23:22):
Maybe, but that is rather against the spirit of the thing. eCS is not expensive, and without a revenue stream there wouldn't be any Demo CD, or any future for the OS. Think carefully before ripping off a small company. You might be cutting off your nose to spite your face (as we say in the UK)

Stuart

Well, the license says that it is for educational use... My plan in doing this would basically be to LEARN just what is needed for a minimal useful OS/2 system. I COULD use my ancient copy of Warp 3 (somewhere along the line, my copy of Warp 4 got lost), but all the instructions for hand-building boot disks I've found seem to be written for a 4-series kernel and driverset, so I think it would be more useful (and less frustrating) to use the more up to date kernel.

Date: 18 Oct, 2005 on 14:33
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
4. Re:Installing the DemoCD
Have you tried eBay or another auction site to bid on a copy of OS/2 Warp ver 4?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org
Date: 19 Oct, 2005 on 01:37
madcrow
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Installing the DemoCD

BigWarpGuy (19 Oct, 2005 01:37):
Have you tried eBay or another auction site to bid on a copy of OS/2 Warp ver 4?

I can't do ebay shopping I guess that since I have a licence (or at least an old box) that it wouldn't be TOO wrong for me to find and d/l a copy off of p2p... Of course the firewall set up at the place where I get my highspeed access makes p2p rather hard as well

Date: 19 Oct, 2005 on 14:10
Installing the DemoCD
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: