Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
innerlogic
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 Nov, 2005
1. OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I just got a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 and i'm looking at installing it on an older computer, I know that it has some issues with newer hardware and bigger hard drives and that it can't boot direcly from CD,

The computer I would like to install it on has
30 Gig hard drive,
128 megs of RAM,
3dFX voodoo 3 PCI card,
P3 800 Mhz

I may also want to install this on my own computer (which already has Windows XP and Gentoo Linux on it) if it is alright, My computer specs are.

60 Gig Hard drive (Getting a 200 Gig hard drive in the next few days :-D)
1 Gig of RAM
ATI x800 XT
AMD Althon 3000+

How can I boot to install OS/2 from CD without bootdisks and update the drivers so I can install it on the bigger hard drives and with the display drivers.

Sorry if this was already a topic, tried search and could not find anything, Tried google and got info, but was lost on what to exactly do (now i know how OS/2 BOOTS, but not HOW to get it to BOOT )

Date: 06 Nov, 2005 on 22:22
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
(1) You need the installation diskettes for W4. Your CD containst a DOS program, which is able to create them. Therefore, put your W4 CD into any computer with a DOS session and run the program from CD.
The needed program is in the root directory of your CD but I cannot remember its name right now I think it's instcd.exe but I am not sure. Anyway, you won't find much programs in the root so that a few attempts will fix it.
You will need 3 blank 1.44 MB diskettes.

(2) The installation diskettes you get will be "standard", that means obsolete nowadays, diskettes. You need to patch them with drivers needed for your HW.
At any rate, you will need HD driver. Use Daniella's drivers from Hobbes. Also, you will need video driver. IIRC, SNAP should know both 3dfx Woodoo and the ATI card but SNAP is paid. IIRC, 3dfx Woodoo drivers for OS/2 existed and were free of charge, therefore, you can search the web. I am afraid that the ATI card will need SNAP at any rate.
As far as SNAP is considered, I've never installed it on W4 but it should be possible. Perhaps, you will need to install some fixpacks first (fp5 at least).

Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 09:41
innerlogic
Normal member
in user

3. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Thanks for the reply, but the thing is, I don't want to use Floppy Disks AT ALL. I only have 1 on me for Partition Magic. I can get more, but I rather just make a bootable cd so I won't have to worry about it at all. Anything about that at all?
Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 12:14
os2power
Premium member
in user

since: 08 Mar, 2003
4. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help

innerlogic (07 Nov, 2005 12:14):
Anything about that at all?

Yeah, OS/2 Warp 4.52

ciao.

Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 14:56
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
5. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
I am not sure whether you can pass without the diskettes with a *new* operating system. The installer on the CD simply supposes that you start with installation diskettes. Therefore, it can demand "drive A:", it can demand new diskette and so on. Perhaps, somebody will have more experience in it.

But I think the thing isn't lost completely. Once you have installed, you can create a bootable CD by means of, IIRC, "boot-able" utility, which you can find on Hobbes. The utility allows you to select what you want to have on the CD. Because the utility is written in REXX completely, you will be able to even add your own code to it and make it fit your needs precisely. You get a bootable CD, which you should be able to use in subsequent installations.

Let's be frank. I've never used the utility myself so that I don't know whether the bootable CD can install the system from scratch or whether it needs a somehow preinstalled system. But the utility seems to be enough mighty so that it *should* be able to create a CD, which will install from scratch.

Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 15:59
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
6. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Hi,

Generally you're best to get a copy of Warp 4 up and running in the first place. Once you get it running, you can then create an updated CD which will boot from the CD. You can then use this CD to install without the need for a set of boot floppies.

There are a number of ways to create a Boot CD in OS/2, however the easiest that I know of is to use UpdCD, available at:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

Essentially what you do is download from IBM all the various updates and fixes for Warp 4 (it will also work with Warp 3, Warp Server for e-Business, Warp 4 MCP (4.52), eCS). You can then run UpdCD and it will use your existing Warp 4 install CD, combine it with all the updates, and then create a bootable install CD which contains your version of OS/2 at latest fixpak level, the latest updates, etc. It also has the ability to add additional applications to the install - so you don't have to install them later (For example, Firefox, Java, SNAP, etc).

Over the years I've created updated copies of both Warp 3 and 4 for use, and I find this a great way to have both an installable boot CD, plus there is no need to go installing fixpaks later.

In order to burn the CD, you'll need a few things in addition to just Warp 4. CDRecord works, you can find more info at:

http://www.os2world.com/cdwriting/

As far as I know, there is not a way to create a "bootable" Warp 4 CD under Windows. That's not to say it isn't possible, it may be. But I just havn't ever looked for it.

However if you do have a machine running Windows with a floppy drive, you may be able to create an updated CD using UpdCD. From the Updcd readme:

---------
2.2 Installation under Windows

UpdCD does not run under DOS or Windows. However, UpdCD can create an OS/2
maintenance environment under Windows which will enable you to build an updated
CD-ROM. Unzip the distribution zip to a directory on a FAT32 or HPFS partition
which is big enough to create an updated CD-ROM. Run the UpdCD BATCH program
Mkdisks.Bat from the command prompt and follow the instructions on the screen.
UpdCD will create 3 boot diskettes which will enable you to start your system
and run UpdCD. The UpdCD maintenance system can only handle Warp 4 CD-ROM's at
this time. UpdCD assumes during the creation of the maintenance system that
drive A: is an 1.44MB floppy drive.
---------

I've never tried this. But it appears from what I can tell that it creates a set of boot floppies which will boot to a text OS/2 command prompt (similar to how the Install program works) and creates the install CD on the hard disk. I presume (although again, I've never tried this) you would then boot back to Windows and burn the CD.

Good luck!

Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 18:06
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

7. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Hi,

It just occured to me that your video cards *may* work with the older Scitech Display Doctor, Version 7.04. This is an old version of Scitech Snap (SNAP used to be called Display Doctor), which IBM had licenced (IBM has since licenced SNAP, but made it a reserved feature for customers with paid support contracts) and made available for free download at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/sddse704.exe

I believe you'll need to have a Fixpak installed for it to work properly. The latest freely available Fixpak for Warp 4 is Fixpak 15.

Date: 09 Nov, 2005 on 00:08
innerlogic
Normal member
in user

8. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Alright, I got OS/2 Installed on my copy of Virtual PC, and now all i need to do is get the fix packs and other drivers, where can i get them? And where do i put them in the directories for Udpcd?
Date: 10 Nov, 2005 on 22:47
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

9. Re:OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
For detailed instructions on running Updcd and where to put fixpaks and updates, check out the README.ENG file which comes in that ZIP.

There is also an UPDCD.HTM file in that ZIP which is a good idea to read.

Quickly, the Device Driver fixpak can be found at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/ddpak/xr_d002/

Assuming you're using the US English version of Warp 4, you can grab Fixpak 15 at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_m015/

Feature Installer can be found at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?sh=1&button=Search&key=fi125us&stype=all&sort=type&dir=/

Danis506 (replacement IDE and SATA driver) can be found at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?sh=1&button=Search&key=danis506&stype=all&sort=type&dir=/

For Fixpak 15, put the files in (where x: is the drive your updcd is installed on)

x:\updcd\fixes\XR_M015

and unzip the files, keeping the directory structure intact (use UNZIP.EXE found in \updcd\bin )

For the device driver fixpak, put those files in:

x:\updcd\fixes\xr_d002

As I recall, you won't have to expand these files, updcd will do it for you.

For feature install, put it in:

x:\updcd\updates\fi125

unzip the file.

For Danis, put it in:

x:\updcd\addons\21_dnide

Unzip the file, make sure the following files are in that folder:

DaniS506.ADD, DaniS506.DOC, DiskInfo.exe, DumpIDE.EXE

For additional stuff (TCP/IP updates, MPTS (networking protocol) updates, Peer updates, Java, etc) - check the UpdCD readme and updcd.htm files. It has links to all that stuff.

To create a boot CD, you'll also need VFDISK installed. Simply put in your OS/2 config.sys the following:

DEVICE=C:\UPDCD\BIN\VFDISK.SYS

You'll then find that the virtual disk option will be available for you in Updcd, allowing for the creation of a boot image once you update your OS image.

Most of this stuff is in the readme files and documentation. Just read through it and you shouldn't have any difficulties.

Date: 11 Nov, 2005 on 17:25
OS/2 Warp 4 Install Help
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: