Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
1. Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I tried to install Warp Server 4 (not Warp 4) in new server which has SCSI harddisk of 36 GB. From the installation disk, FDISK, I can only see around 8 GB.

Is there any way to use the full capacity of the disk ? The maximum volume size for HPFS is 64GB.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 23 Nov, 2005 on 15:48
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Hi Sam,

Sam (23 Nov, 2005 15:4:
I tried to install Warp Server 4 (not Warp 4) in new server which has SCSI harddisk of 36 GB. From the installation disk, FDISK, I can only see around 8 GB.

Oops... have you "prepared" the boot install disk(s) to include the appropriate SCSI controller driver or are you using the disks "out of the box"? What SCSI controller is plugged into the machine?

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 23 Nov, 2005 on 18:09
Sam
Premium member
in user

3. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
The SCSI controller is on-board LSI 1030 on IBM X335 server. It is used to drive one 36 GB Ultra 320 HD.

Disk one is tailored with Danis driver and OS2 driver of LSI 1030. There is no error during disk load. But when I exist to command prompt and use FDisk. It can only show 8 GB.

I did not inlcude IBM's IDE driver update for large drive (in 1999). Not sure whether this is related as I only have SCSI drive.

Have also tried with DFSee on this machine. It can see the full capacity. However, it only let me to define one HPFS partition. Remaining space can be defined as logical or primary partion. But they cannot be formatted successfully.

What else did I miss ? Greatly appreciate on any hints for this situation.

Date: 24 Nov, 2005 on 15:33
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

4. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Sam,

yeah, I'm wondering what this is about... at first sight, I wanted to scream out loud "that old 8 Gig barrier!" but then, thinking about it... that was only affecting IDE, wasn't it?

When you say "Danis" drivers... does that mean DANIDASD.DMD etc. - not DANIS506.ADD, right?
What happens if you take the IBM standard drivers instead? Just like: Only using the LSI driver but leave the rest of the install floppies the way they were?

I can't imagine that SCSI is affected by any such barrier as 2, 8 or 32 Gig... because the scsi controller holds the logic for dealing with that... but one never knows. Maybe some outdated .DMD or whatever driver file has some kind of a too small numeric field in it for holding the max. sector numbers?

BTW: Does anyone have a concept of how the various SCSI drivers in OS/2 are interacting? Which one runs "on top" of which other one? I never managed to figure that out...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 24 Nov, 2005 on 17:23
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
last updated at 24 Nov, 2005 17:54 (1 times)
Sam, it's me again,

I googled for additional information and actually found the 8 GB limit known to OS/2 - regardless of IDE or SCSI: The BIOS INT13h function cannot adress more than that.
This in return means, that your system is either not using the SCSI driver, or you have misconfigured something, or...: You need that large drive update stuff for SCSI as well!

Seems that when I always tailored my floppies for my SCSI controllers, I happened to install the "large drive" updates by chance as well, because I never had that problems (with SCSI at least).

After all, it seems to me that although the large disk driver stuff is called "(E)IDE" something, it contains drivers that enable large disk usage for SCSI devices as well (who knows? I guess that's OS2DASD.DMD or one of its "driver buddies"...)

Look here for some more information:
http://www.felgall.com/os2ins1.htm
(I can't tell for the precise driver(s) that you require from the mentioned warpupdates-site)

Did you add a "/v" to the controller drivers config.sys BASEDEV line? Is the driver message popping up on screen when the system boots?
...have you got a mixed environment of SCSI and IDE?

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 24 Nov, 2005 on 17:42
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Sorry... me again.
I wasn't really satisfied with what I wrote as an answer to you and so I went onto that warpupdates site, d/l'ed the
idedasd.exe file contained for Warp3 (Warp*) as "IBM Driver for ATA/(E)IDE Harddisk and Removable Drives Support"
(http://service.software.ibm.com/os2dd/free/idedasd.exe)
and took a look into its readme...:

2.1 UPDATING THE INSTALLATION DISKETTES

If you are attempting to install Warp on a hard drive greater than 4.3GB, or your are attempting to install Warp Server for e-business on a hard drive greater than 30GB, then the installation diskettes must be updated.

1. Make a backup copy of your Diskette 1 (D1).

2. Copy the new versions of IBM1S506.ADD, and IBMIDECD.FLT device driver files onto your D1 diskette.

3. If the installation diskettes are for Warp Server for e-business, Warp Server for e-business Convenience Pak, or Warp 4 Convenience Pak, copy the DASD32.DMD file to your D1 diskette and rename it to OS2DASD.DMD. Otherwise copy the DASD16.DMD file to your D1 diskette and rename it to OS2DASD.DMD.

OKAY!
So this means: OS2DASD.DMD is/was to blame for it.
(BTW: The readme contains some additional - valuable - information regarding the installation partition, boot manager etc.)

HTH
Thomas

Date: 24 Nov, 2005 on 18:16
Sam
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Thomas,

Thanks first for the detail reply.

I retried with W4 server and W4 today without success. W4 server still can only see 8 GB. W4 cannot recognise the disk.

For the drivers in http://service.software.ibm.com/os2ddpak/html/diskands/index.htm , do I need to rename ide16.ddp to OS2DASD.DDP ?

Do all ADD drivers support the /V option ?

I am so fustrate with them and have to pull out eCom Station 1.2, it can recognise full hard disk size, 36GB. But it hang during installation.

Well, if you or anyone else have experience / additional idea on how to solve this problem, please tell me.

Thanks again

Date: 25 Nov, 2005 on 18:37
Install Warp Server in large SCSI HD
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: