Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
1. Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
My OS/2 system has been giving me trouble for some time now, during boot / before pmshell loads the system has been hanging. I am assuming that my processor/motherboard are going bad (this motherboard suffered through a bad power supply and the processor has suffered from a bad fan). I don't feel like trouble shooting it because it is just too much of a pain. The system runs fine if it doesn't hang, but it only boots 1 time out of 10. (Also tried the eCS demo cd which does the same thing). Tried swapping out the video card as well in case that was the problem, and doesn't seem to help. Been looking at new hardware and what seems to fit my needs and my budget best is the Asus K8v-se (with via chipset) and a athlon 64 (since it is a 754 chipset) Just wondering if there would be any problems running OS/2 on this combination.
Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 03:39
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
Hi,

AFAIK, there's an issue with OS/2 and eCS (pre 1.2 MR) not installing on Athlon64 machines. I can't tell if that only applies to the installation process, but you might check with the notes for recent kernel/loader fixes in matters of A64.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 12:26
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
3. Re:Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
I know about the problems, I am running Wseb ACP2 w/ fp5 and newest kernel updates (which supposible fix all the problems) I am not planning on a re-install simply want to plug all my existing hardware into a new motherboard & processor (moving from a Athlon 1600+ w/ Asus mobo). I was just wondering if this board has any of the ACPI problems or anything beyond the kernel boot bug which would be a problem for me. Someone who successfully used this board would be a great selling point =) If not, it is looking like I may have to make a move back to intel since it is harder and harder to find good athlon XP motherboards and processors.

warpcafe (30 Nov, 2005 12:26):
Hi,

AFAIK, there's an issue with OS/2 and eCS (pre 1.2 MR) not installing on Athlon64 machines. I can't tell if that only applies to the installation process, but you might check with the notes for recent kernel/loader fixes in matters of A64.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 21:22
Sander
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 20 Feb, 2003
4. Re:Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64

Sebadoh (30 Nov, 2005 03:39):
Been looking at new hardware and what seems to fit my needs and my budget best is the Asus K8v-se (with via chipset) and a athlon 64 (since it is a 754 chipset) Just wondering if there would be any problems running OS/2 on this combination.

I have built two systems using the Asus K8V Deluxe SE motherboard, generally considered the best board built for the Athlon64 754 series. I can report EXCELLENT results with OS/2.

The hardware combination I am currently using with the Asus K8V Deluxe SE is an Athlon64 3700+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 1 GB of Kingston HyperX ram, and the onboard audio and NIC. The system is built into an Antec SX-830 Performance Series case, which allows plenty of space for heat dissapation, and using only the stock AMD CPU fan, the machine runs cool. Note: no overclocking here. Didn't need it.

This particular machine runs on Warp 4, FixPak 17, with the 1.04a kernel (w420050811), which resolves the Athlon64 issues nicely. In addition, I use Daniela's S506 ADD - Release 1.7.4 driver, and the Marvell NIC driver, both available on Hobbes.

In short, this system runs like a bat out of hell, is able & stable, and OS/2 has never been more fun. Highly recommended.

Good luck,
Sander Nyman

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 22:50
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
Great that is almost the exact system I am planning on putting together except for the time being I am going to be using my Matrox G400max unless I can find a good deal on an AGP ATi card (the matrox gives great results in OS/2 anyway). Great to hear that the onboard nic and sound work since I've been having nothing but trouble with my audigy lately. (planning on uninstalling mmos2 and reinstalling.. easiest way to get a fresh start on it).

Sander (30 Nov, 2005 22:50):

Sebadoh (30 Nov, 2005 03:39):
Been looking at new hardware and what seems to fit my needs and my budget best is the Asus K8v-se (with via chipset) and a athlon 64 (since it is a 754 chipset) Just wondering if there would be any problems running OS/2 on this combination.

I have built two systems using the Asus K8V Deluxe SE motherboard, generally considered the best board built for the Athlon64 754 series. I can report EXCELLENT results with OS/2.

The hardware combination I am currently using with the Asus K8V Deluxe SE is an Athlon64 3700+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 1 GB of Kingston HyperX ram, and the onboard audio and NIC. The system is built into an Antec SX-830 Performance Series case, which allows plenty of space for heat dissapation, and using only the stock AMD CPU fan, the machine runs cool. Note: no overclocking here. Didn't need it.

This particular machine runs on Warp 4, FixPak 17, with the 1.04a kernel (w420050811), which resolves the Athlon64 issues nicely. In addition, I use Daniela's S506 ADD - Release 1.7.4 driver, and the Marvell NIC driver, both available on Hobbes.

In short, this system runs like a bat out of hell, is able & stable, and OS/2 has never been more fun. Highly recommended.

Good luck,
Sander Nyman

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 23:34
Asus K8V-SE & Athlon 64
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: