Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
nigel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://nigel.geek.nz
since: 01 Dec, 2005
1. Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 02 Dec, 2005 04:10 (1 times)
warp 4 revision 9.023
330Mhz HP 4403
96Mb Ram
3 Gb HDD

Hi all

I have now Warp 4 got it installed

I checked out the revision number and its 9.023

which means no fix packs installed yet, i have been reading up but got a bit confused with fixpaks and device paks and lan paks and csf thingies

as i understand it I need to get the csf tool to install fixpaks, but thats about where I get lost, how do I install the csf tool

can i apply the paks to the system while it is running or do I have to boot into the fixpak Thing?

Also java - should this be installed before or after the fix paks as apparently there is/was a problem with java putting older versions of files in (older than fix pak 7 ?)

Now for the prettying up bit -

I am stuck in 16 colours "help", the computer has 4MB shared graphics and should be capable of more than this (it is under windows and linux), but i can't figure how to change this in OS/2 when i go to the systen customisation screen the only option i have is
640 X 480 with 16 colours

Help (or would the fixpaks solve this problem?)

(not important but I like a pretty desktop )

I have seen a few screenshots around the place of warp 4 and they look a damn site prettyier than mine (the icons do seem a bit clunky) and the colour scheme is a bit boring how do people do this, or am i perhaps getting it mixed up with the e-comstation version

cheers

NZ time -- 4pm 2nd december

Date: 02 Dec, 2005 on 03:58
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
Install the latest Fixpak for OS/2 Warp 4. The tool is buried within the IBM.com. http://hobbes.nm.edu may be a better choice. Don't worry about the other patches yet (TCP/IP, etc.). To change you video settings, switch from VGA to GRADD device driver. You may want to do this after installing the latest Fixpak for OS/2 Warp 4. Other people may have better advice ... Best of luck and enjoy. Learning is half the fun.
Date: 02 Dec, 2005 on 05:51
nigel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://nigel.geek.nz
since: 01 Dec, 2005
3. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
last updated at 02 Dec, 2005 10:23 (1 times)
Righto updated to

Warp 4.50
revision 14.062

apparently the video card is "SIS Integrated VGA"

Where do i find the Gradd driver is it on a driver pak? do i have to get a specific version of the driver or is it a general driver

Cheers

Date: 02 Dec, 2005 on 10:05
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
4. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
(1) Graphics: You need a grapic driver. You can search the web for an OS/2 driver for your SiS card. You can try SDD or SNAP (they are paid but their "demo" versions are free of charge fully functional time limited versions, so that they allow you to see whether it solves your problem).

(2) Fixpacks: Forget csf. Download sfix41.zip from Hobbes. It's a PM fixpack installer, which installs fixpacks from a HD. Therefore, no more diskettes, no more long command lines, no more complicated instructions how to install. Copy all fixpack files on your HD and run sfix.
But I guess you have already found sfix

(3) The screenshots: (a) You can use any wallpaper in the .jpg format. You can also use .bmp but imagine the size of the picture. Get some nice wallpaper from somewhere and install it by means of "desktop - properties - background". (b) The nice look of the windows is caused by CandyBarZ software. See Netlabs for more info, see also Hobbes.

Date: 02 Dec, 2005 on 13:58
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
5. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
last updated at 04 Dec, 2005 01:31 (3 times)
Hi,

For updating OS/2 Warp 4, assuming you're using the US English version, here's what you'll need:

The fixpaks. The latest "Free" fixpak for Warp 4 is Fixpak 15. It can be downloaded here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_m015/

Grab all the XR_M*.zip files.

You'll likely also want the Device Driver fixpak. It is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/ddpak/xr_d002/

Grab the files XR_D002.?dk

I believe the above sfix41.zip can handle both ZIP files and the ?DK files, but I could be wrong. I've always used IBM's CSF utility to install Fixpaks (which - I should mention - can be used to install Fixpaks directly off the hard disk - I havn't done a floppy install for years).

IBM's CSF facility which allows for hard-disk based installs is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/csf144.zip

To use IBM's facility, download the CSF144 file and unzip it into a directory on your hard disk (I've called mine c:\service)

Then unzip the Fixpak into another directory on your hard disk (for my Fixpak 15 I called it c:\fp15)

To extract the .?DK files (the Device Driver fixpak) you'll need the DSKXTRCT utility from Hobbes:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/patches/fixpack/dskxtr13.zip

To get the IBM installer going, the open up a command prompt, change into the directory where you have the CSF utility installed, and enter the command:

os2serv c:\service\csf c:\fp15

Of course, substitute your directory names for the ones you created. It'll pop up a window and you can select the fixpak to install. If you select the fixpak, select the "Advanced" checkbox, and hit "Install" it will bring up the "Traditional IBM" csf installer, but pull all the files from your hard disk instead of floppies.

It will run the install for the fixpak. Require a reboot too. You'll have to run it again for the Device Driver fixpak (just substitute the above command with the device driver fixpak directory and you'll be fine)

Or, as has been suggested, give sfix41.zip a try. It may be easier to use.

For Video, you may want to try the old IBM licensed Scitech Display Doctor SE 7.0. It is an old version (free - licensed by IBM for your use) of Scitech Display Doctor (which is what SNAP was called before the name got changed to SNAP), but it may work okay with your video chipset. It is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/sddse704.exe

It definitely needs a current fixpak installed or else it won't work properly. The GRADD drivers are also available, but they're older then SDD (the latest SNAP is probably still your best choice). But if you want to try the GRADD driver, it is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/videopak/graddbb/gradd083.exe

As for Java, the latest "free" one from IBM is 1.1.8. I am not sure where it can be downloaded these days, I know I have a copy of the full install here, it may be on Hobbes.

On the other hand, Innotek has a "free" java runtime of 1.4.2 available from:

http://www.innotek.de/products_e.html

I think the Innotek java needs a fairly new fixpak to work properly, but I can't recall. I know I've run it with Fixpak 15 installed and it has worked fine.

Hope this helps

Date: 04 Dec, 2005 on 01:26
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
since: 11 Aug, 2004
6. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
There is an easier way to install FP15. Aaron Lawrence put it together with the latest install utility-it's incredibly simple to set up.

Check out:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/patches/fixpack/warp_4/fp15.zip

Just unzip this into a temporary directory and type INSTALL - that's it.

HTH,
Sean
sean@outpostbbs.net

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 03:03
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.canconweb.net
since: 20 Aug, 2002
7. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
Downloaded. Thanks. I remember the pain of using those CSF kicker disks... or whatever they were... oh the pain... and agony.

(Once I get home tonight, I'll check my email... provided I get home before 2am)

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 05:27
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
since: 10 Dec, 2000
8. Re:Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
There is a technique to reduce the agony of using the CSF kicker disks. This technique will allow you to install the fixpack from the harddisk without creating diskettes.

I unpack the dsk files and the csf kicker disks on the same directory and run a command called fix.cmd.

The fixpacks disks can be unpacked with the "diunpack.exe" command . The csf disk are self extractable. Im attaching the fix.cmd command.

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 14:28 Attachment: FIX.CMD
Got warp 4 installed now Fixpaks and prettying it up - lotsa questions
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: