Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Storage
USB and TPad A21m
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Bobber
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Sep, 2004
21. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
The A21m is configured for dual-boot. w98/eCS. Stick works OK in w98. Stick works ok when using the eCS demo CD.
Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 19:11
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
22. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Huh? Gosh! ...it works when booting from the DemoCD??

In your opening mail to this thread, you said you're running eCS 1.25 on the TP, so basically there is no difference from the DemoCD?!
Okay, when booting from the demo cd, there MUST be a config.sys on the ramdrive, right? Can you take a look into it for any differences in the USB entries?
Maybe there's also different drivers (levels) used on the demo cd? Or perhaps even a different kernel version... you should have a look into what the DemoCD loads.

Sorry for not providing a better solution but HTH
Thomas

Date: 31 Mar, 2006 on 11:20
Bobber
Normal member
in user

23. Re:USB and TPad A21m
I am in the process of comparing the DemoCD (config.x-it is called) and the "normal" booted 1.25 system config.sys. The comparison is much like apples and oranges and not what one would call straight-forward. As one example the config.x uses USBD /I13 in it. Using this causes the TP to freeze on boot. Still looking.......Mayhaps eCS 2.0 (future) will solve all.

Again, many thanks for your input(s).

Date: 31 Mar, 2006 on 20:56
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
24. Re:USB and TPad A21m

Bobber (31 Mar, 2006 20:56):
I am in the process of comparing the DemoCD (config.x-it is called) and the "normal" booted 1.25 system config.sys. The comparison is much like apples and oranges and not what one would call straight-forward. As one example the config.x uses USBD /I13 in it. Using this causes the TP to freeze on boot. Still looking.......Mayhaps eCS 2.0 (future) will solve all.

Again, many thanks for your input(s).

Hi

Maybe this USB configuration tool will help with whatever problems you are finding - a lot of USB problems seem to be down to configuration issues.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb6.zip

It comes with a useable Help file which will tell you that the USBD.SYS I13 switch
"could be used to delay USB host overtaking by the USB driver stack until after other device drivers finish required initialization operations. It could be used to boot from the USB floppy drive. "

So, if not booting from USB floppy no need for that switch - in theory

Regards

Pete

Date: 31 Mar, 2006 on 21:32
Bobber
Normal member
in user

25. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Thanks for the info. and the site address. I have just downloaded the USB config. tool. I also have a pciscanner proggie.

Onward!

Date: 01 Apr, 2006 on 07:21
Bobber
Normal member
in user

26. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Success!

I performed a complete NEW install, including formatting. After the install, I made the necessary changes to the config.sys for the USB components, rebooted. Stick IS recognized and all works.

Now to sneak up on any new additions to the operating system and watch out for problems that upset all. I had previously used many of the embellishments using the eCS Maintenance Tool. Almost afraid to "upset the applecart".

Many thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

Date: 03 Apr, 2006 on 00:16
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

27. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Bobber,

although I'm glad to see the problems solved... I still am not sure about what the cause was. Was it some kind of "configuration mess" or what? It leaves me with some dull feeling of being still somehow "helpless"...

Never mind anyway. Greetings
Thomas

Date: 03 Apr, 2006 on 15:08
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
28. Re:USB and TPad A21m

warpcafe (03 Apr, 2006 15:0:
Bobber,

although I'm glad to see the problems solved... I still am not sure about what the cause was. Was it some kind of "configuration mess" or what? It leaves me with some dull feeling of being still somehow "helpless"...

Never mind anyway. Greetings
Thomas

I wonder if...

I'll take a guess on a possible cause:

On an eCS1.2R (or is it MR?) system that had been "migrated" from eCS1.1 USB seemed to be working fine, mouse printer and cardreader all working.

Then I attached a USB scanner which is working fine on 2 almost identical systems and tried to scan using Tame/2 - Yes, Tame is setup fine.

The result of trying to scan was a complete system lockup requiring a press of the Reset button.

Knowing that the USB drivers were up to date, setup as correctly as possible and that Tame should work with the Canon LiDE20 scanner - does on 2 other 1.2R systems here - I started looking for a "culprit"...

As an aside: This "investigative behaviour" is probably a result of developing the USBcfg app - I am trying to collate odd bits of USB setup data and problem resolution into an FAQ for addition to the Help file at some point. End aside.

As usbresmg.sys is also present on the system I had not installed the Tame/2 supplied version and realised that I had not checked what version was present - took it for granted that a migrate install would automatically install a later version.

Checking [BootDrive]:\ecs\boot\usbresmg.sys against versions installed on the 2 other systems and against the version supplied with Tame/2 (same as eCS) revealed that the migrate install had *Not* updated that file.

Updating to the current version resolved the issue.

I suspect that the problem experienced by Bobber could well be the same as the above: especially as a fresh install seems to have "cured" it.

Regards

Pete

Date: 03 Apr, 2006 on 19:19
Bobber
Normal member
in user

29. Re:USB and TPad A21m
I really did Not want to do a fresh install but, I felt I had exhausted all efforts known to me (mostly results of input from readers of this post). A "last ditch" effort of sorts-(fresh install).

Prior to checking the USB functionality, I had downloaded Many "updates" using the eCS Maintenance Tool. This could have been the "culprit".

Date: 03 Apr, 2006 on 19:41
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

30. Re:USB and TPad A21m
Folks,

thanks for your feedback. I'm gonna file that as "messed up configuration" but it's good to know the symptoms that it can cause. Pete, thanks also for the hints involved with "migrating" - that's something I'm about to have to do on one of my machines and now I feel "prepared" ...to some extent.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 04 Apr, 2006 on 08:30
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
31. Re:USB and TPad A21m

BigWarpGuy (30 Mar, 2006 15:03):
With my A22m, it does not see the 64 meg USB drive. The 64 meg USB drive works with my T23. I will try USB resource manager.

With my T23, I tried my USB007 drive. It is 512 meg in size. My T23 does not see it (I tried USB resource manager and it sees no drive). It works with my Win Gateway 200s.

I bought a port replicator that works with both my A22m and T23. I can use an USB drive with the port replicator attached to the A22m.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org

Date: 05 Sep, 2006 on 15:46
USB and TPad A21m
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: