Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS2 World.Com Bounty System / Suggested & Open Bounties
    OS/2 native port of Java 6
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
El Vato
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.metztli-it.com
since: 04 Oct, 2006
21. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 12 Apr, 2007 01:28 (2 times)

Martin (28 Oct, 2006 14:49):
Some links that can be usefull for this project.

Apache Harmony
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

[...]

This might be the most appropriate alternative if the Apache Foundation is successful in its initiative, since:

"This test kit, called the "Java Compatibility Kit" or "JCK", is needed
by the Apache Harmony project to demonstrate its compatibility with the Java SE specification, as required by Sun's specification license.

The JCK license Sun is offering imposes IP rights restrictions through limits on the "field of use" available to users of our software."

(< http://www.apache.org/jcp/sunopenletter.html >)
< http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/10/HNsunapache_1.html?source=NLC-OS&cgd=2007-04-11 >

I feel the need to emphasize the need for open source and open standards (no Intellectual Property issues) as a prerequisite for software entity survival in this Internet era. An Service Oriented Architecture (read: decentralization), and Software as a Service (SAAS) is shaping the Internet landscape.

It is only those organization whose business model were based in pre-Internet ecosystems that have not realized evolutionary change has already radically altered that old technological landscape; thus, through their narrow survey of the current landscape they are unable to grasp the notion that would provide them with an updated business model.

TCP/IP and HTML, both open and owned by no one have made possible the collaborative nature of the World Wide Web. If Sun Microsystems decides to work with the Apache Foundation, Java will triumph over dotNet since the open source community is highly innovative.

Date: 12 Apr, 2007 on 01:00
obiwan
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Aug, 2006
22. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
This is a good point, El Vato, and relates to something I said a while back in another thread, but later concluded I was rushing to judgment. I still think I was generally mistaken then about some of the facts and practicalities of the situation, but this open letter illustrates that Sun wants widespread use of Java, but they want the exclusive right to making the rules. Other Java implementations can be written if it means broadening Java's reach, but they are not allowed to be as good as Sun's unless Sun condescends to permit it.

Of course, this may reflect an accidental holdover of the "old Sun," and the new one is reformed and ready to play nice. Sun's response to this letter will tell us.

Date: 12 Apr, 2007 on 01:37
szdl
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 25 Mar, 2007
23. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
last updated at 03 May, 2007 23:47 (1 times)
Are there any plans at Serenity Systems to take part in porting Java 6?
Without up-to-date version of Java the new eCS will be not useful enough nowdays..
Date: 03 May, 2007 on 23:46
Terry
Normal member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2004
24. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6

szdl (03 May, 2007 23:47):
Are there any plans at Serenity Systems to take part in porting Java 6?

This weblink to a thread started by yours truly about virtualization touches on "a parallel what if" discussion that throws some Java discussion into the mix...

http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=12&TID=927&P=1&SID=be0fxagvposoDal4#ID7

About 1/3 down the 1st page you will find a rather insightful link to an SVista discussion including Bob St. John, that lends further insight into Serenity's perspective on development; let alone virtualization, and; Java to some degree indirectly if greater virtualization can become reality...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/eComStation/message/72983

It would seem from this forum's threads the past year that eCS-OS/2 has three long-term areas to remain current in development: Java, video, and virtualization.

Date: 04 May, 2007 on 05:42
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
since: 10 Dec, 2000
25. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
Possible something of the OpenJDK Community can be used for this bounty project.
Date: 10 May, 2007 on 16:14
szdl
Normal member
in user

26. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
It's great! But the question is: who will do this port?

I think it would be nice if Serenity (or Golden Code etc.) could take part in this task (but it is not too likely), or people "near to" Netlabs.

If OS/2/eCS will have an up-to-date Java platform it can be still a good alternatíve for Java applications due to its almost faster running on OS/2 comparing to some unix-like systems (yes, It can be truth!). But it depends on a lot of things.

I think it's a good decision at Sun to open the Java stuff, because the M$ .Net technology is a very serious "enemy" of Java. It spreads and with Novell and the Mono project (the opensource .Net) it can overtake Java at opensourece systems.
(I suggested a bounty here for Mono too! When will be it accepted?)

Date: 10 May, 2007 on 18:12
Terry
Normal member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2004
27. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6

szdl (10 May, 2007 18:12):
I think it's a good decision at Sun to open the Java stuff, because the M$ .Net technology is a very serious "enemy" of Java.

Nothing like "pretend Java."

Many of my product suppliers, with M$-specific software, that are required as a part of my Cash Flow Planning vocation have deposited many versions of .NET on my XP system.

Why in the world do these .NETs confuse my XP registry to the point of oblivion? How come the Vista Home Premium that came with my new laptop introduce even greater incompatibilities with these same financial product applications & coordination with multiple versions of .NETs?

P.S.: I really do know the answer, but have no choice of operating system vendor... Resistance is futile... You will be assimilated... Comply...

Date: 10 May, 2007 on 20:03
szdl
Normal member
in user

28. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
<OFF>
I know the "limits" of .Net (it is not really crossplatform, eg. it has no crossplatform GUI - like Swing in Java - you have to follow the tempo of M$, and you are allways looser), but why not port Mono to OS/2 too?
And we can say .Net will be the new M$ API (instead of win32), so it is not an alternative for Java, but for ODIN (/Wine).
But it's offtopic..
</OFF>
Date: 10 May, 2007 on 22:32
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
29. Re:OS/2 native port of Java 6
This thread has been closed and will continue in the new forum.
Date: 19 May, 2007 on 23:26
    OS/2 native port of Java 6
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: