Author Topic: JFS boot hangs  (Read 4593 times)

karotlopj

JFS boot hangs
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:19:37 am »
I created a bootable JFS drive for the first time today and it immediately halted which booting with some  message about incorrect JFS.IFS - use original eComstation CD

I'm using the JFS from ARCA NOAE. Do I need to buy eCS to be able to use the ARCA NOAE packages?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: JFS boot hangs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:26 am »
Possibly you need an updated BOOTOS2, which is the micro filesystem that is just smart enough to load os2ldr, which is smart enough to find \os2 and \os2\boot

Generally the Arca Noae packages run fine on Warp v4 and are licensed to do so. My Warp v4 partition is still HPFS so I never noticed any problems with booting with the updated JFS. Biggest problem with my 20 year old install is it traps within a minute or so of the WPS coming up if I use more then one core. Snap doesn't like my monitor either.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:24:32 pm »
Hi JohnP

My personal experience of JFS 1.09.06 from Arca Noae leads me to suggest you leave that package well alone.

I have 2 desktop systems and 2 laptops all running either eCS2.1 or 2.2 beta2 that this package fails to work on properly - so, No, you do not need eCS to use this driver.

The main problem  is that when using this package it can "lose" a volume at boot eg You know that you have a volume G: but during boot you notice that it does not display when JFS.IFS is loaded and when the system is booted the volume G: is not available. Sometimes the volume could be made available by simply running LVM and Exiting Saving changes - without making any changes. Other times it was necessary to reboot from another boot drive to recover the "lost" volume.

I suspect the above is related to the changes made to the way chkdsk happens at boot. This build of JFS.IFS does *not* support forcing a full chkdsk at boot (using the /AUTOCHECK:+ switch with either * or a drive letter eg /AUTOCHECK:+* for all jfs volumes ). So if your system needs a full chkdsk and JFS 1.09.06 does not recognize the need it is then necessary to boot from an external source eg an Install CD. Alternatively have a 2nd boot volume on the same drive that uses HPFS to avoid the necessity of hunting out the Install CD. If using OS/2 do you need to boot from floppies still?

Back to your boot up message about incorrect JFS.IFS: I suggest you contact Arca Noae and report the problem in the hope they have an answer.

Regards

Pete

karotlopj

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:38:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion - I've done that.

karotlopj

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »
It turns out that the problem was operator error :)

I formatted with the new JFS driver but then installed a minimal OS/2 using SEMAINT forgetting that it used \os2image where the drivers had not been updated...

Anyway everything is OK now.