Author Topic: USB  (Read 17886 times)

Lars

• View Profile
Re: USB
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:09 pm »
To add:
1) don't just install some drivers of my package. Just install ALL of them, the contained readme hopefully explains well enough how to do that. Also follow the hints regading USBCALLS.DLL and USBRESMG.SYS (which are not part of the IBM driver set but serve very useful purpuses around USB for all kinds of USB related things)

2) post the output of hcimonit.exe

3) post your config.sys

That should allow to give some help on what you need to change in config.sys in order to make it work.

By the way: I am working on version 10.203. It tries to solve some USBMSD issues that still exist. USB mass memory devices (like pen drive, USB hard drive) are very diverse and some of them don't properly follow the relevant USB specs. You might have a device that is problematic in which case there is no cure except for buying a different one.

Lars

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:48 pm »
I always check settings in "Config.sys".
I once noted that they're point to previous USB drivers (installed with operating system).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:28:53 pm by Sergey Posokhov »

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
I always check settings in "Config.sys".
I once noted that they're point to previous USB drivers (installed with operating system).

karotlopj

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 04:44:44 pm »
Do you have the FAT32.IFS line in your config.sys and the FAT32.ifs in os2\boot as well as UFAT32.DLL in os2\dll?  You will not be able to see a FAT32 formatted drive without them.

I'm using  128 MB USB stick which is partioned FAT....

I assume I should be able to format USB sticks with any FS OS/2 supports... That is if I ever get this working...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »
A 128 MB FAT formatted stick should just work. And yes you should be able to use any file system that OS/2 supports though only DFSee can format a FAT32 drive under OS/2.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 07:00:15 pm »
Ecosoft also sells a fat32 format utility called reformat. Haven't used it myself though.

karotlopj

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 10:12:54 am »
To add:
1) don't just install some drivers of my package. Just install ALL of them, the contained readme hopefully explains well enough how to do that. Also follow the hints regading USBCALLS.DLL and USBRESMG.SYS (which are not part of the IBM driver set but serve very useful purpuses around USB for all kinds of USB related things)

2) post the output of hcimonit.exe

3) post your config.sys

That should allow to give some help on what you need to change in config.sys in order to make it work.

By the way: I am working on version 10.203. It tries to solve some USBMSD issues that still exist. USB mass memory devices (like pen drive, USB hard drive) are very diverse and some of them don't properly follow the relevant USB specs. You might have a device that is problematic in which case there is no cure except for buying a different one.

Lars

Thanks for your help, Lars. I have it working now, at least on one USB stick :) but it's a start.

Now lots of questions....

How do you unmount a drive? It doesn't seem to disappear from the filesystem when the stick is removed.

I couldn't read an external hard drive - I don't know if I should expect to.

If I want to install your drivers automatically I would need to replace the USB bundle in \OS2IMAGE\DISK_5 Not sure how to do that.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 12:10:11 pm »
Unmounting a USB drive:  Open drives object, mouse button 2 (right click?) on the USB drive, select Eject disk. wait until it disapears and any LED indicator on the stick stops flashing then remove it.

Things like external USB hard drives require the use of DFSee to have the LVM information installed.  Once that is done it is a case of just plugging them in and they are available.

Adding and updating the original WSeB CD 2, and making it bootable, is the reason that UPDCD (UpdateCD) was created.  It does all the work for you and you end up with a single bootable CD that has all the updates built in.  Not sure where you can get it from at the moment though. 

Edit:  UPDCD260.ZIP is obtainable from http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/util/index.html you can also get the updcd261.zip which updates that there as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:16:35 pm by ivan »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »
If I want to install your drivers automatically I would need to replace the USB bundle in \OS2IMAGE\DISK_5 Not sure how to do that.
Use unpack2.exe and pack2.exe:
Code: [Select]
start view cmdref unpack2
start view toolsref unpack2
start view toolsref pack2
toolsref.inf and pack2.exe are in the Developer's Toolkit.

karotlopj

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 05:42:35 pm »
I was aware of unpack although not sure what the difference is between unpack and unpack2, and I'm sure there is some pack program for creating these packages, although there is no pack.exe on the CD.... unless, of course, it's 'packed' somewhere :)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 06:18:58 pm »
unless, of course, it's 'packed' somewhere

Yes, in the updcd zip.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 06:42:55 pm »
You can also eject a disk from the command line, eject d: and wait a couple of seconds

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »
I was aware of unpack although not sure what the difference is between unpack and unpack2,
IIRC pack2 and unpack2 have higher compression and fully replace and include pack and unpack. pack and unpack are just available for compatibility.