Author Topic: Java installation  (Read 6258 times)

karotlopj

Java installation
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:12:42 pm »
I've never specifically installed Java on OS/2, it always somehow got installed automagically when installing Netscape...

Now, when I want to install TCPAPPS, I'm told I can only do this through Java.

I don't know why Netscape hasn't installed Java. Can anyone tell me how to do it manually?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: Java installation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »
Here's the latest Java /w instructions - http://trac.netlabs.org/java

And my eJava pack for OS/2 it has 20+ Java apps.

http://os2notes.duckdns.org/os2java6.html

Greggory

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
I'll give it a try, but I'd still like to know why it failed to install along with Netscape.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »
Which version of Java do you want to install?  I have on this test machine:
Java11
Java13
Java131
Java141
Java142
Java15
openjdk6

Each has a reason for being there, the older ones because some of the java programs will not run using the newer ones.

I am assuming you are looking for Java11 because of your reference to Netscape (we never could get that stupid installer to work back when IBM first brought it out and I doubt it will work on newer equipment).

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:44:47 pm »
I have it done somewhat different because I also test Java programs and sometimes you have to go up or down in versions to get it work, but with latest version of Java 6 this is minimum.

You can read what I've done with added a different approch;

http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6eJ.htm

With the setup I use I can use any combination of Java with Odin versions without booting or updating of config.sys.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »
I've never specifically installed Java on OS/2, it always somehow got installed automagically when installing Netscape...

Now, when I want to install TCPAPPS, I'm told I can only do this through Java.

I don't know why Netscape hasn't installed Java. Can anyone tell me how to do it manually?

Java is not installed as part of Netscape.  Perhaps you're thinking of the fact that the full SDK version of Java 1.1 and/or 1.3 used Netscape for its guided install.

Since WSeB, Java 1.1.8 is installed along with the OS as part of the FIBASE component, assuming you select the right options.  That's the version that TCPAPPS works with best.

You can install later by running CLIFI /A:T to create an Install object, then load the install data using "response file -> read" from its context menu and selecting FIBASE.RSP from \OS2\INSTALL.  Then double click the object, deselect everything except the Java items, and choose Install.  It will go to \JAVA11 on the boot drive (it's possible to change that, but it requires rather tricky advanced techniques).