Author Topic: Installing OS/2 on 320GB disk  (Read 16495 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Installing OS/2 on 320GB disk
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:37 am »
Sorry being offtopic but -
No, it is not the hardware.

If the JFS driver itself is not at fault then I suspect that the driver is exposing a problem .
Pete, I've to second the other Andreas - I am using Davids latest JFS build too on my main machine and some test machines without any problem. I've also followed your ticket and discussions about chkdsk. I've bootable JFS drives on nearly all my installations and no problems with that since years. For me it seems you're the only one having issues with JFS 1.09.06. No offend. But it seems there is something very special to -
a) your systems hardware or
b) your installations (combination of drivers, dlls ...?)

If it is a shutdown problem as mentioned above I would suggest to use the lastest xwp beta from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/wlan/ if not already installed.

Hope you can find out the root of the problem some time.

@John - the safest way for any partitioning is using dfsee. But the "Managing partition" tool included in the latest eCS2.2beta version will work too. As suggested use a small boot volume. 1GB is enough when you install your applications and data on other partitions. But if you decide to install the rpm stuff on your boot drive too (not recommended by me but the eCS2.2beta installer) then you need a much bigger boot partition. It is possible to make a big boot partition with JFS. But probably no one will suggest this to you. Do not use big HPFS partitions (more than a few GB). There is no reason or benefit doing this these days.

Regards, Andreas

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:28:57 pm »
Regarding the JFS problem, I am wondering if it is a processor/northbridge problem.  If so then both sides are 'correct'.

Pete, Andi and others, could you post the CPU and chipset you are using and we may be able to lay this to rest.

John.
You can't have two instances of BootManager on the same machine. 
Use DFSee to remove the unwanted one and then install the new one where you want it.

karotlopj

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:46 pm »
John.
You can't have two instances of BootManager on the same machine. 
Use DFSee to remove the unwanted one and then install the new one where you want it.

Ivan,

Believe me, you can have two instances of BootManager on one machine,  and when you do it gets very confusing, especially when you have two bootable C drives.

I'm not saying that you can install BM on more than one disk, but if you are using two disks with BM installed on both then they will remain. I'm not sure how BM reacts if it finds another BM on the system.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »
Hi

@Andi B

The 2 laptops are Intel based and the 2 desktops are AMD based. There is not that much that is common across the hardware.

Both Desktops have multiple boot volumes.
Both laptops and 1 bootable installation on each Desktop have eCS2.2 installed, the other bootable installations on the Desktops are eCS2.1 with various upgrades applied to both.
None of the systems have DOS/Win16 support installed - I would be surprised if that made a difference.
None of the systems have the "lost volume at boot" problem - or problems forcing a chkdsk at boot - when using JFS-109.05

All systems have XWP installed.
Reading the readme at the url you supplied I see there may be a problem with earlier builds of XWP and current builds of ACPI with regard to shutdown. I will experiment with this build of XWP and JFS-1.09.06 to see if that "cures" the "lost volume at boot" problem. I will have to report back on this in a few days - or less if it obviously does not fix the problem.

If the latest XWP does fix the problem I would still not recommend JFS-1.09.06 to anyone using bootableJFS on a "headless" server. I hope David revises his view on the /AUTOCHECK:+ switch and reinstates it in future JFS releases.

A digression but a further thought on XWP: When using Restart Desktop the option "Process all XWorkplace Startup folders" is checked by default. I know from posts in various ngs - and possibly on os2world - that I am not the only person who uses 2 XWP Startup folders: 1 for items to run on system startup and 1 for items to run when the Desktop is restarted. Can I suggest the default for this option be changed to  Unchecked in the future?

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:06:42 pm by Pete »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:27:01 pm »
Hi John

The instance of BootManager on either the 1st disk or the disk selected as the boot disk in the BIOS settings is the instance that should appear. It may offer the BM on disk 2 as a bootable choice.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 07:53:07 pm »
Hi John,

I was not as clear as I could have been regarding the number of BootManager instances on a machine.  I should have said that there can only be one 'active/startable' instance.  If there are more so marked then, as Pete says, it depends on the disk boot order as set in the bios which one is used, and even then there can be problems.