Author Topic: How to boot without Boot Manager  (Read 4962 times)

karotlopj

How to boot without Boot Manager
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:35:47 am »
I currently have a system with two disks. Disk1 has Boot Manager  and Disk2 has a couple of partitions marked as Bootable.

I want to remove Disk1 but cannot install BM on Disk2 and can't mark either partition on Disk2 as startable - at least can't find an option for doing this via LVM.

How do I go about booting from Disk2?

karotlopj

Re: How to boot without Boot Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:47:50 am »
I just tried rebooting having removed Disk1 and on bootup was greeted with

Invalid code for JFS 0000:B8FA

and the system stopped.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:07:46 am »
I currently have a system with two disks. Disk1 has Boot Manager  and Disk2 has a couple of partitions marked as Bootable.

I want to remove Disk1 but cannot install BM on Disk2 and can't mark either partition on Disk2 as startable - at least can't find an option for doing this via LVM.

How do I go about booting from Disk2?

Old question I know but try Airboot (http://www.bensbits.nl/), in addition to replacing boot manager it has more flexibility and like BM it allows you to assign drive letters so you can for instance have multipile C boot partitions across multiple drives.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:43:38 am »
Have you tried booting the eCS install CD/DVD up and installing BM from there? Or using DFSee to install BM? I spent years with BM installed to all my drives, right up to when it no longer worked due to installing a 1TB disk (still worked for the other drive) when I replaced it with airboot.