Author Topic: Setting up DHCP server  (Read 6612 times)

karotlopj

Setting up DHCP server
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:04 am »
Has anyone managed to set up a DHCP server on OS/2?I tried yesterday without success.

How can I tell if it's listening? I'm sure that that is the problem.

I have a DHCP server running on FreeBSD and that works fine, but I'd like to know how to set it up on OS/2.

As I understand it you can tell if it's working by running DHCPSTRT on the client and the server will offer an IP address, so if you don't get one it isn't working, but then what do you look for? I did switch off the DHCP service on FreeBSD while testing so as not to confuse things.

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Setting up DHCP server
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »
Has anyone managed to set up a DHCP server on OS/2?
I've the mini DHCP server built into Injoy Firewall running on OS/2. But guess you're talking about another one.

On the client side there is a GUI tool called DHCP monitor which will give a bit more information than simply running DHCPSTRT.

Another option is to use dhclient available f.i. as rpm (used by current xwlan packages). Think there is a dhcp server available too. 'yum list *dhc*' should list the packages.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:24 pm »
Hi

It is not much but this redbook on page 30 says something about WSfeB DHCP server installation. But if there is another open/free DHCP server for OS/2 I think it will be better to use that one.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

karotlopj

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »
Hi

It is not much but this redbook on page 30 says something about WSfeB DHCP server installation. But if there is another open/free DHCP server for OS/2 I think it will be better to use that one.

Regards

I have installed the one included in ACP2, but never having set it up before I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the RedBook link. RedBooks are great publications. I have a copy of one called The CID Guide. Is this something you could put online?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:34:52 pm »
Hi

If it is the "The Os/2 Warp 4 Cid Software Distribution Guide" it is already there, it is a public redbook.

But if you have any other IBM's OS/2 related publication that is not available online, I can try to ask permission to IBM to republish it here.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

karotlopj

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:41 am »
Hi

Regards

The same redbook is available here - and it is easy to read

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245280.pdf

I'm just going through the examples now and have managed to get DHCP working.... It seems as though the DHCP cfg used by IBM's DHCP server is very different from those used by other versions.