Author Topic: Dumping the Wiki  (Read 9914 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Dumping the Wiki
« on: May 20, 2016, 09:43:42 pm »
Hi

I have a backup of the OS2World wiki, but it is a full backup of the database and files I can not openly share.

I was wondering if someone with more experience in python can checkout the Wiki dump tools can take a full backup of the OS2World wiki and EDM/2 to have it archived just in case.

Please let me know if someone wants to help me with this.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

karotlopj

Re: Dumping the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:04 pm »
Hi

I have a backup of the OS2World wiki, but it is a full backup of the database and files I can not openly share.

If it's a database ie mysql, can't you export it to a file?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:41:45 pm »
Hi John.

It is a MySQL database, just that when I export it, it has all the tables for userID and password (salted).

So I would prefer that someone can dump the wiki externally without that information. Also it can be nice if anybody on the internet would like to have a backup of EDM/2 and the OS2World wiki will be also able to generate it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
Hi John.

It is a MySQL database, just that when I export it, it has all the tables for userID and password (salted).

So I would prefer that someone can dump the wiki externally without that information. Also it can be nice if anybody on the internet would like to have a backup of EDM/2 and the OS2World wiki will be also able to generate it.

Regards
You can do that via phpmyadmin, just choose the fields you do not want exported when you do a backup and the program pumps out a compressed backup file, phpmyadmin comes as standard with most php installations, you can also export to comma delimited file and simply remove the fields you do not want exposed with a spreadsheet or a database tool, but it is easier just to do a phpadmin backup.

BTW, the password fields should be encrypted AND salted, not just salted (salted = randomised and justified, a dictionary hack prevention to be used with and not instead of encryption)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:15:04 pm by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:17:25 pm »
Hi Olafur.

About the note, yes it is encrypted and salted.

My issue is that I want a way for anybody to download the wiki and I'm currently lacking technical database mysql skills to take full backup that can be shareable. This is why I need for someone that uses python to try that project and get a copy of the wiki. And he can also share that copy on hobbes, archive.org, etc. There will be no issues since the content is all Creative Commons.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:05:43 pm »
How large do you think the backup would be? I'd try but doubt that my crappy connection could do it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:13:52 am »
Hi.

Maybe 300MB based on the back on 2014 by the Archive.org.  Give it a try, if it takes too much time or breaks everything we will know.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

karotlopj

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:40:37 am »
Hi.

Maybe 300MB based on the back on 2014 by the Archive.org.  Give it a try, if it takes too much time or breaks everything we will know.

Regards

What can you do with it when it's downloaded? Do you need to load it up to some wiki program?

RickCHodgin

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »
Hi.

Regards

I can mirror it for you if you like.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »
What can you do with it when it's downloaded? Do you need to load it up to some wiki program?

Yes, the idea is that the wiki can be recovered on any other MediaWiki (open source) installation. I can not confirm this since I haven't done it by myself.

My general idea is that someone else beside me has a backup of the wiki. A backup/recovery strategy with only one man is never a good idea :)
The Wiki is Creative Commons so it belong to all of us.

If someone can take the dump of the OS2World wiki, EDM/2 wiki and put it on archive.org every 6 months it will be great.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 07:19:10 am »
My server has been around for the last 10 years, I can back it up for you (60 Mb/sec).

Cheers

Greggory